Forums Latest Members

Breitling questions referencing the publication "Complete Price Guide To Watches".

1. Mad Dog rockpaperscissorschampion May 24, 2017

Two quick Breitling questions:

1. Is this a typographical error or did the AOPA Navitimer really go up this much in value in two years? The top entry [pictured below] is from 2015 and the bottom entry is from 2017.

IMG_5448.JPG

2. What are these aircraft silhouettes [pictured below] referencing? I looked for some sort of note/key on the page but didn't see anything. The last silhouette pictured is the Sikorsky SH-60B Seahawk helicopter [USN]...which is what I flew on active duty while serving in the U.S. Navy [see avatar]. The other silhouettes pictured from top to bottom are [from what I can tell] the F/A-18 Hornet [USN, USMC], EA-6B Prowler [USN, USMC] and F-14 Tomcat [USN]. Just curious if anyone knows why these aircraft silhouettes are pictured.

IMG_5449.JPG

Edited May 24, 2017
  2. Hijak May 24, 2017

Can't answer your question buddy...but I can add a gratuitous Breitling photo!;)
    image.jpeg

3. padders Oooo subtitles! May 24, 2017

I think classic pilots chronos like these have been swept up in the general steep rises in price of older watches with pedigree, like the Speedmaster and Daytona. I have seen prices for the 1960s 806 and 809 ( 24hr Cosmonaut) firm up seriously in the past couple of years so the book could be right. I am not convinced that the later Breitbling stuff has increased anywhere near as much.

Edited May 28, 2017
    GuiltyBoomerang and Mad Dog like this.
  4. grizzlycanuck May 24, 2017

I think they have appreciated for sure. I think your reference book is incorrect, as I thought the earliest Navitimers were from 1954/55, not 1952. I would love one of those early Valjoux 72 movements, but this will do for now

IMG_4882.JPG

5. padders Oooo subtitles! May 24, 2017

It depends on who you believe, there is no definitive date on the first introduction, there are competing claims of 1952, 1954 and indeed there is one theory that they were introduced from 1960 or so. Lots of info and conjecture here:
    http://forums.watchuseek.com/f39/br...-history-most-famous-breitling-all-25057.html

grizzlycanuck and Mad Dog like this.
  6. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. May 24, 2017

Afaik yes certain early variants with the right combination of bezel/dial/movement are going up quickly.

Those pictures seem random to me. The EA6B and SH60 don't seem to match the LE's being denoted on that page. Some obviously do but those 2?

7. grizzlycanuck May 24, 2017

Yes you are absolutely correct, it all depends on who you speak with. Also a great thread from last year detailed it pretty well and also addressed the inconsistencies on origin date and serial numbers. Scoot down the thread a bit to the part on Early History of Navitimers. Many different theories.....

https://omegaforums.net/threads/breitling-and-the-navitimer.43624/

Mad Dog and padders like this.
  8. Mad Dog rockpaperscissorschampion May 24, 2017

Say what? :eek:

No love for the choppers? :(

Those pointy nose fighter/attack jobs get all the attention! :mad:

;) ;) ;)

9. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. May 24, 2017

;)

Looks like stock art to me is what I should have said. The F 14 makes sense with the top gun and then the Swedish demonstration team...

Moral don't post before coffee. In all my research on Breitling. I've never come across a Prowler or Seahawk reference.

10. Mad Dog rockpaperscissorschampion May 24, 2017

I can understand the Prowler...it looks like a [chicken] drumstick...but the Seahawk...it just rocks. I'm calling Breitling. :D

11. SeanO May 24, 2017

I see you've got a second hand copy.

In mine they're just outlines so I got to colour them in myself.

12. Edward53 May 27, 2017

Can't add to the discussion but here's another gratuitous Breitling photograph.

IMG_5358.JPG

GuiltyBoomerang, Mad Dog and Foo2rama like this.
  13. tapaptpat May 27, 2017

Edited May 27, 2017
    Vulffi and Mad Dog like this.
  14. tapaptpat May 27, 2017

Prowler not sure but there is an A6 Intruder edition, there is more chopper love for you @Mad Dog, One is not obvious. Can you guess?

Cheers
    P

Ps sh60 will be hard to find that's a @Foo2rama limited 1 of 1. ;)

Mad Dog likes this.
  15. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. May 27, 2017

Well the slide rule on those is a E-6B and the Prowler is an EA-6B almost the same name but unrelated.

Mad Dog and tapaptpat like this.
  16. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. May 27, 2017

You think the helicopter is for the golden knights?

Mad Dog likes this.
  17. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe May 27, 2017

The number of dumb errors, oversights and omissions in that book is pretty high, just look up the section on Tudor watches (squished into the Rolex stuff).... but trying to catalogue and put current prices to the world of watches is a pretty difficult thing so I just laugh them off. I love their prices for military pieces.... always a good five years behind the real world.

Mad Dog likes this.
  18. tapaptpat May 27, 2017

I thought the Intruder had an attack role and the Prowler was a electronic role. Based on the same airframe. Not sure of the squad mark on this dial included both. I agree that the silhouette on the page has a Prowler feel to it.

http://www.donindiano.net/watches/breitling/b-1/special_editions#a6_intruder
    Don't get the reference. Please understand 99% of my knowledge come from googling the rest is learnt through mistakes. Non of which are in Vegas or picking fantasy league teams. If that were the case there be an NHL team made up of purely Swedish and Finnish players.

I was blatantly pandering for a @Mad Dog thumbs up.

Edited May 27, 2017
    Mad Dog likes this.
  19. Mad Dog rockpaperscissorschampion May 27, 2017

That's what I was thinking...but I'm not sure if they [the Golden Knights - U.S. Army] jump out of rotary wing or fixed wing aircraft.

When I initially saw the helicopter silhouette in the Complete Price Guide To Watches, I thought it was a U.S. Army UH-60 Black Hawk [and possibly tied to the Golden Knights]...but after I got my readers out, I noticed the forward tailwheel [for shipboard ops] and radome which is characteristic of a U.S. Navy SH-60B Seahawk. The U.S. Army UH-60 Black Hawk has an aft tailwheel and no radome [as far as I know].

tapaptpat likes this.
  20. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. May 27, 2017

They "own" 4 fixed wings but all ground crew are Blackhawk Crew Chiefs. They often jump from them at shows. It "might" appear correct if someone did a quick internet search. I agree the picture is clearly an SH-60.

tapaptpat and Mad Dog like this.