Breitling Navitimer question

Hello ! I have the choice of getting either of those watches. The one with a dirty dial is 300 € cheaper , it works. Queston: will Breitling Germany be able to clean up the dial so that it looks as nice as the other one ? ANy experience in dial cleaning ? (Am very surprised how dirty the dials of those Navitimers often are)

thanks very much for your ideas and thoughts

You are looking at $800 to $1000 service for either watches. Breitling Service Center will not clean up vintage dial. They will offer to replace the hands, pushers and crystal for additional cost.

indeed , but they are amazing at what they do. So, I will go for the 'nice dial' watch. Do you think the hands were a later addition ? or is it normal that they are so white?

I would prefer to check the serial number regarding e.g. correct hands and ref.to the changes dated 1963.

why you not just buy only the nice one?

breitling germany will not be able to clean your dial proper.
most of the dial are so dirty because of the construction of the watch, its easy to get dirt inside with the rotating bezel.

THANK YOU ! yes , this is what they say . No , I have not bought it yet, still have to pay. Do you think the hands are a later addition or just the color that is different , they look so shiny

i guess the hands are service replacement.
but to be sure, check with uv blacklight.

my original post is gone:

I would ask and contact Robin Israel (Uhrenkunde.de) with better pictures.

Very interesting and thahk you Marcel for the advice. I have no UV light at all . Perhaps worth getting old hands from ebay and asking Breitling to fix them in. Just stupid to have new hands on such a vintage watch .

ALSO : Concernig Dust : if I do not rotate the bezel - the dust won't get in , right ?

Perhaps worth getting old hands from ebay and asking Breitling to fix them in.
No way Breitling will do that.

The dial is damaged (stained and water-damaged), not just dirty, and it's also missing a lot of lume. It's a very poor example. You need to be careful to avoid moisture in the watch. If you are looking to restore a watch with period-correct parts, most likely you will need to find an independent watchmaker. Manufacturers are not generally interested in doing that type of work. They would prefer to install service parts and offer a warranty.

Based on your questions and comments, my sense is that you should be patient and continue to educate yourself before buying a vintage Navitimer.

The dial is damaged (stained and water-damaged), not just dirty, and it's also missing a lot of lume. It's a very poor example. You need to be careful to avoid moisture in the watch. If you are looking to restore a watch with period-correct parts, most likely you will need to find an independent watchmaker. Manufacturers are not generally interested in doing that type of work. They would prefer to install service parts and offer a warranty.

In general, my sense is that you should be patient and continue to educate yourself before buying.

Thanks very much, Dan . I was recommended Robin Israel (Uhrenkunde.de) . Who do you use ?

Thanks very much, Dan . I was recommended Robin Israel (Uhrenkunde.de) . Who do you use ?
I would try a forum search if you are looking for recommendations, the topic comes up often.

Based on your questions and comments, my sense is that you should be patient and continue to educate yourself before buying a vintage Navitimer.

Well , thanks, I have already acquired the one with the nice dial at an auction , so will get it . It is a reasonable example - my worry is to keep the dust out. I ll take it to Breitling , no brainer.

Well , thanks, I have already acquired the one with the nice dial at an auction , so will get it . It is a reasonable example - my worry is to keep the dust out. I ll take it to Breitling , no brainer.
It's your watch and your choice. We can only give advice based on experience.