Forums Latest Members
  1. sjoerd1234 May 12, 2020

Hello watch enthusiasts,

I stumbled upon this beautiful 50's Breitling watch for sale with venus 188 mechanics with a price of 1600. I am very temped to buy, but I don't know much about vintage Breitlings. Looking at the mechanics it looks to be authentic. Asking the watch gurus here ;) to what degree would you think this watch is authentic based on the photos? I do not mind a watch lacking in original condition.

kind regards

1.jpg 1.jpg 3.jpeg

2.jpg
  2. omegastar May 12, 2020

As the dial has been refinished, how do you know it really is Breitling ?
    Case looks like it has been re-chromed.
    So if a real Breitling, it is worth 20% of the asked price...

Candle00 and apsm100 like this.
  3. sjoerd1234 May 12, 2020

Alright thank you for your remarks, good to know.
    I do not know how to recognize a redial, I will steer clear of this watch!

4. Dan S May 12, 2020

IIRC correctly, early Breitling movements were not always signed, and this movement is early given the absence of shock protection. So the movement could be from a Breitling.

However, as mentioned above, the dial is badly repainted. There are many signs for someone who is accustomed to looking at dials. However, there is one incredibly obvious signature of a repainted dial, that anyone can see here, even if they are not an expert. Perhaps the OP can simply look closely at the dial and see what he notices.

5. sjoerd1234 May 12, 2020

Alright i'm sorry i am a true novice. I see the numbers are missing some paint, i felt that was due to wear initially? Or perhaps an inconsistency in number placement on the chronograph dials?

6. Dr.K May 17, 2020

Agree. First thing that shot out at me was those lugs