Forums Latest Members

Brand New Seamaster 300 2018 leaking water??

1. Chazman1946 Aug 10, 2020

I bought a brand new Omega Seamaster 300 (2018) from Jared's last week. I purchased the blue dial model with blue rubber strap.

I have worn the watch every day without resetting the time and the watch was averaging +2 seconds a day. The crown has been locked down tight, and since I own approximately 20 other dive watches, all of which get time in my pool, I know it wasn't me.

I wound the crown the day I bought it, exactly a week ago come 9/10/2020. Haven't unscrewed the crown to wind since my daily time in the pool is more than enough to keep it wound. Woke up after today's afternoon nap to find the watch had stopped, and there was condensation under the crystal??

I fully wound it again, and it won't' go but a few seconds before stopping again WTF!

Now I'm stuck with a broken watch that will probably take weeks to fix, and an OEM Omega $1K bracelet on the way that won't have a watch to put it on.

I own 43 watches, everything from Rolex, Eterna, Longines, Breitling, lots of Seikos, and even Vostoks. I have only had one other watch leak on me, and that was a Citizen Eco-Drive that I forgot to screw the crown down on when going in the pool since then I never forget to screw the crown down, and even if I didn't aren't the gaskets supposed to prevent leakage, especially in only 5 feet of water??

Edited Aug 10, 2020
    Wetworks likes this.
  2. Bugbait Aug 10, 2020

Assume the Helium valve was also locked down sufficiently? If so, seems like a warranty job unfortunately. No one likes being without their watch, especially a new one but at least you have many others to enjoy in the mean time :(

Wetworks likes this.
  3. Chazman1946 Aug 10, 2020

Yeah, the helium valve was screwed down as well, and they advertise the valve to be safely opened at 50 meters underwater as well! Man is this a bummer!

4. Meme-Dweller Aug 10, 2020

If there was water intrusion bad enough to stop the watch, you should be able to see it through the caseback. Sounds more like something else wrong with the movement. If you can easily replicate it not working, and since you only bought it a week ago, see if you Jared's is willing to swap the watch with a new one for you instead of sending it for repair.

5. superi4n Aug 10, 2020

Yikes .. sounds like a QC issue. I would be super frustrated if this happened, especially since it's a new watch

6. wolfe44 Aug 10, 2020

I agree, see if Jared's will give you a replacement new one. It's brand new

7. Chazman1946 Aug 10, 2020

There was no sign of condensation through the display case back, and this morning when I checked the watch out there was no sign of condensation under the crystal as well, watch still won't run, is fully wound and when you shake it to get it running, it only ticks off a couple of seconds before it stops.

8. Davidt Aug 10, 2020

You bought this watch brand new last week correct?

We can speculate TIL the cows come home as to why this happened, but just take it back to the place you bought it for warranty repair (or you may get lucky and get an exchange).

Dedlock, airansun and Scarecrow Boat like this.
  9. Dan S Aug 10, 2020

The most impressive part of this thread to me is that the OP knows exactly how many watches he has. :thumbsup:

10. Chazman1946 Aug 10, 2020

If I'm not mistaken, the movement underwater adding excessive pressure theory has been debunked. I actually took a photo of the watch just before I went into the pool to put on the WRUW thread at Watchfreeks, The crown isn't unscrewed

20200809_142725_resized_1.jpg
  11. Bugbait Aug 10, 2020

It's virtually impossible for a human to move fast enough, unaided through water for the difference in dynamic pressure to be significantly higher than static. So 5 feet is not turning into 15, let alone 50 feet of equivalent pressure.

A cut and paste from another watch forum (not sure if I'm allowed to use the URL it here?): Author - "lysanderxiii"

MYTH - Movement of the watch while in the water will increases the pressure on the watch, possibly beyond the depth rating for that watch....
    The increase in pressure can be calculated.

The increase will be equal to the one half the density times the velocity squared, or

ΔP = (1000 x V[SUP]2[/SUP])/2

with
    ΔP = increase in pressure in pascals
    1000 = density of fresh water, in kg/m[SUP]3[/SUP], use 1030 kg/m[SUP]3[/SUP] if seawater,
    v = velocity in m/s

(To convert pascals to atm multiply by .00001)

Doing the math, you can see that in order to raise the pressure by 1 atm the watch must be traveling at 14.25 m/s. That's about 51 km/h or 32 mph.

In 7 pages no one disproved it with science. Someone near the end supported the conclusions with a practical test.

12. Scarecrow Boat Burt Macklin, FBI Aug 10, 2020

Editing this whole post because I found a detailed explanation from Archer. In my mind I was imagining water being forced against the unprotected seals through the act of swimming. Not blowing out the watch due to increased pressure.

Edited Aug 10, 2020
    LeonDeBayonne likes this.
  13. dinexus Aug 10, 2020

Even when open, the HR valve on the newest 8800-series Seamasters is still rated to 50 meters submerged – this was a talking point back in 2018 when the Seamaster was launched, but they've since removed that verbiage from the website because it apparently caused confusion about how the HR valve was even supposed to work.

Just sounds like OP got a bad seal on his watch – quick trip to the watchmaker and he'd be right as rain!

(PS: enough with the 'dynamic pressure' nonsense – why can't that myth die already?)

14. Chazman1946 Aug 10, 2020

The watch was only 6 days old when this happened, I'm taking it back to Jareds for an exchange, or refund!

wolfe44 likes this.
  15. Chazman1946 Aug 11, 2020

Ok, took it back to Jared''s, they had the same exact model in stock and swapped in out for no charge, of course, they got me on the way out, they showed me a Black Bay Heritage with the new movement, and since they gave me a 30% discount, I walked out the door with both!

20200811_142659_resized.jpg
  16. Meme-Dweller Aug 11, 2020

That's a great discount! Congrats!

17. bama2141 Aug 11, 2020

Love happy endings!

18. wolfe44 Aug 12, 2020

That Tudor sure is nice looking!

19. maine-iac1 Aug 12, 2020

I think that brings the number of watches to 45, but who's counting? ;) Both of those are nice-looking watches. Wear them in good health!

20. EricCsN Aug 12, 2020

that's the omega AD or OB I always know: always delighting their customers and work at keeping them happy, listening to them, no hassle and pleasant sales experience. Because they will always come back for more.

Edited Aug 12, 2020
    OmegaRookie and maine-iac1 like this.