Forums Latest Members
  1. The Father Went out for smokes in ‘78 not seen since Jul 10, 2018

Have an 777xxxxxx serial number Omega Speedmaster deal lined up with a highly reputable dealer. The watch does not have a box or papers. Scouting around similar dealers and sites for the same watch I believe a have a decent deal. Is there a consensus what a box and papers adds to the value of a watch?
    The Omega I have a deal for is used but overall it is cosmetically very clean with minimal scratches on the lugs but otherwise really nice.
    Reviewing prices against other watches it is $750-1000 less than those with box and papers. Seems reasonable, am I correct in my thinking?

2. bags1971 Jul 10, 2018

Modern omegas you can order the cards from a OB

Foo2rama likes this.
  3. Northernman Lemaniac Jul 10, 2018

Some go all in.
    To me it’s a matter of personal preferences. I’d personally rather spend USD1K extra on getting a better specimen than a wood/plastic/cardboard box and some paperwork that may or may not be legit.

Edited Jul 10, 2018
    gemini4 and nonuffinkbloke like this.
  4. The Father Went out for smokes in ‘78 not seen since Jul 10, 2018

Omega Boutique=OB ?

Foo2rama likes this.
  5. bags1971 Jul 10, 2018

Sorry yes

6. tyrantlizardrex Jul 10, 2018

As I understand things, they've put a stop to that.

The last set I managed to buy was in 2017, at £100(ish) for replacement warranty, and £30(ish) for the pictogram card.

7. The Father Went out for smokes in ‘78 not seen since Jul 10, 2018

When I study the Omega warranty information on the web, I see information all over the spectrum. 2 year warranty if you buy from Omega authorized dealer. No warranty if grey market. Not transferable, is transferable. 4 year warranty from Dealer ABC (example).

More or less if I were to get a warranty card from an OB this would be to show authenticity of the Omega watch?

8. The Father Went out for smokes in ‘78 not seen since Jul 10, 2018

How about if I buy a box for a Speedmaster.

Would a future owner in 20 years appreciate the box or not really care?

Would any of you guys that really care if an Omega watch had a box or papers as long as you can determine it is legit?

nonuffinkbloke and Northernman like this.
  9. tyrantlizardrex Jul 10, 2018

Full sets sell for more money, as you're discovering.

10. The Father Went out for smokes in ‘78 not seen since Jul 10, 2018

Full set meaning..…......watch with box and papers.

Are there very many of you collectors that buy a modern watch and stick it in the safe and never wear it?

Another question that is asked over and over probably.....serial # on lug is the same as on the movement?

11. bags1971 Jul 10, 2018

Must admit the ones I bought were last year

12. tyrantlizardrex Jul 10, 2018

Yes - as it came when new, with all the appropriate bits.

Some people do that for sure, and some of us buy watches to wear - different strokes for different folks.

In the case of the Speedmaster with a 1861 inside - yes.

It varies a bit on other watches - particularly ones where movements are exchanged at service (Quartz, and some of the older modular automatic chronographs).

13. usmc93 Jul 10, 2018

I have been buying and selling for many years and the obvious and already stated is that they sell for more and sell faster with box and papers. I typically see roughly $200-500 value drop with out box/papers on modern used watches, certainly not a set $ amount but ballpark. That # is significantly higher with Rolexes and other higher valued pieces in my experience.

tyrantlizardrex and Mtek like this.
  14. asrnj77 Jul 10, 2018

I’ve got to the point in my collection hysteria where box/papers are very important to me. I think it’s a cool piece of the history for the watch. You can find boxes all day long for nearly any watch on eBay but you can’t get the paperwork. Omega at least offfers the Extract which is nice but won’t help for modern watches. If it’s a great deal then go for it but if you can find a similar one with at least the warranty card/papers for a few bucks more you should hold out.

In the long term watches with boxes/paperwork can go for thousands more. Rolex gets crazy and I can’t inagine anybody who throws those things away (in fairness I did have a Rolex box stolen). The Rolex Kermit sub early editions with “flat 4” bezels are $5,000 more with box and papers and those are from 2003/2004. In the Omega world the white dial Alaska Projects are thousands more with box/papers/accessories than without.

15. michael22 Jul 10, 2018

If I wanted to wear it regularly, I'd be happy with no box.
    If I bought it to collect & preserve, I'd rather a box.