Forums Latest Members

Bought the new 2021 Speedy Hesalite Today (Photo Intensive!)

1. Spikedlee Jan 8, 2021

Hey guys. Just thought I would share some shots of the new 2021 Speedy I picked up today at the Chicago Omega boutique. I currently own a 005 Hesalite I purchased back in November for about $1K below MSRP thinking I might as well get a deal on one before it was discontinued. I never expected I would like the new upgraded model enough to pay MSRP AND Chicago sales tax!

After viewing enough photos online this week of the new Hesalite and sapphire versions of the watch, I knew it was worth seeing in person. I called the Omega boutique in downtown Chicago where I live this afternoon and luckily they mentioned they had just received both versions in stock yesterday. However, the sapphire models all had deposits on them and only hesalites were available for immediate sale. They did say it was fine for me to see both and try them on before their new owners came to pick them up.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here is the sapphire and Hesalite side-by-side

The biggest surprise for me outside of the fact that the new bracelet tapers even more than my Ed White bracelet does, is how much better the new stepped dial looks than the current one. It adds a level of dimension creating a visually striking appearance, and the font on the dial is just bolder and stands out so much more.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    My current speedy next to the new one

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The new Speedy on my wrist

What was also cool was how much smaller the new box is compared to the discontinued model:

[​IMG]

There is no more loupe, paper weight, astronaut strap, etc. Stuff you will never use anyways which I like a lot.

Hidden in this box is a watch holder that turns into a mini-portable watch case.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It took me about 20 minutes of checking out the new watch to decide that I wanted to buy it. We pay 10% tax in here in Chicago so the total was shy of $7K. Discounting really wasn't an option with the watch being brand new, but I didn't feel like waiting a while to let stock build up to get one.

[​IMG]

Overall, I think this watch is awesome. I already own a few Rolexes and have really felt like the excessive Rolex hype has made things a bit stale so I do enjoy this ability to have better access to inventory and also really enjoy the details that went into this new model.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

In summary, I would definitely recommend this new watch to anyone looking to buy it. The style difference between the hesalite and sapphire were not drastic enough for me to consider the sapphire outside of the applied Omega logo which I really like. I hope this thread helps you guys make up your mind on the watch. See it in person if you can as the pictures will never do it justice.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Edited Jan 9, 2021
    Bmws, Mvsboy, Redwes25 and 49 others like this.
  2. A320Driver Jan 8, 2021

The new bracelet is definitely the biggest improvement for me. Great watch. I would also go with the hesalite, I like that the bracket is all brushed. It's a shame that they didn't put the applied logo on the hesalite as well.
    I have a 145.0022 so I will probably not pick up another standard moon watch but nevertheless I think Omega went in the right direction with this release.

robidog, Foo2rama and neoguendia like this.
  3. Cenzo Jan 8, 2021

I've only been in the Chicago Boutique a few times for minor things (buying accessories, having it tested for being waterproof, adjusting my bracelet) but they could not have been nicer each and every time. If you're near Water Tower stop in.

momentomori, Gixnic and Alfista88 like this.
  4. rhr321 Jan 8, 2021

Congratulations, looks great. I wonder if they will start shipping Ed White with the new smaller box going forward. Do they still include the black nato?

5. Spikedlee Jan 8, 2021

There's no NATO included in the box.

6. Cenzo Jan 8, 2021

The Ed White and the New Speedmaster make quite the dynamic duo! May you were them in good health and congrats on being one of the first to get a new one. Please let us know your impressions after wearing it for awhile.

7. vlaspri Jan 8, 2021

Congrats on a new watch! Wear it in good health!

8. Runry Jan 8, 2021

Thank you
    For this fresh post! Love the photos and appreciate the insight! Great pick up

9. RealFire Jan 8, 2021

Very nice!!

10. sgtiger Jan 8, 2021

I'm glad you got to try them on -- although the WIS in me couldn't help but think:

1) Those watch cases are touching, those polished surfaces are getting hairlines, and that's someone else's watch the OB is allowing this to happen to...

2) Why is the OB passing out a paid-for watch?

Screen Shot 2021-01-08 at 4.53.22 PM.png

:eek:

Screen Shot 2021-01-08 at 4.53.30 PM.png

:cautious:

Screen Shot 2021-01-08 at 4.53.11 PM.png

gnuyork, phcollard, Redwes25 and 9 others like this.
  11. Marsimaxam Jan 8, 2021

Congratulations on your purchase... it's a great looking watch and I'm so glad they've brought back the tear drop chronograph hand and the step dial. Two of the reasons why I have always preferred vintage Speedys... the other... patina.

Wear in good health it is a beauty.

12. rhr321 Jan 8, 2021

These pictures are not helping me decide between hesalite and sapphire. I have a hesalite 1861, so I was leaning toward sapphire so that I can see the movement.

I much prefer the brushed bracelet of the hesalite and dislike the milky ring around the sapphire , but I like the applied omega logo and sapphire case back of the sapphire model

Seems silly to worry about this with what is going on in the world, but enjoying watches is one of the things we can continue to do

Tet, lexieb007 and Capcom like this.
  13. Spikedlee Jan 8, 2021

One thing that I haven't seen come up in reviews yet but I will mention is that the perfect fit of this new bracelet for me falls on the outer versus inner micro adjustment. The issue is that the end clasp link has a taper and is not flush so the bracelet looks a bit off compared to all the other Speedy bracelet. Please see below:

[​IMG]

Not the end of the world but my preference would be to ditch that little notch and have the link be uniform in width.

Tet, Alllexandru and Alfista88 like this.
  14. Spikedlee Jan 8, 2021

Trust me, I thought the same when I was in there and even though the picture looks bad we both double checked to make sure the paid deposit watch was still spotless. Ultimately the OB made the decision, good or bad but it allowed him to secure full payment from me for my watch within 20 minutes of allowing me to see both in person.

15. Alfista88 Jan 8, 2021

Congratulations on your new acquisition! Thank you sharing these photos. I especially loved seeing how that stepped dial looks on the Hesalite Pro under bright OB lighting... how cool!

A favor if I may ask: how does the shape of the Hippocampus on the caseback compare to the previous model? Is it exactly the same cut/mold, and still protrudes outward from the plane of the case back?

Or has it been recessed a little bit, so that the sharp seahorse & its perimeter ring no longer stick out as much?

This is the only thing preventing from me purchasing a 3861 Hesalite tomorrow... as I unfortunately have very little arm hair to protect me from a sharp hippocampus : ( I'm really hoping Omega may have addressed this, by either recessing the embossed seahorse (or rather sea monster because of how it terrorizes and brands my wrist?! :eek:), or smoothing it out a little so it's not as sharp as the previous generation's.

With regard to OB allowing customer hands-on access to watches which already have deposits: while I agree it's not ideal, I'm sure all of us either already have or can benefit from such access when we're deciding on our watches. I've found it's common for Rolex AD's to pull out examples of watches that have already been paid for and are awaiting will call, especially on the popular models that never make it to the display case. I've personally always been too shy, to try on all-gold Submariner or platinum Daytona that's already been sold and awaiting pick-up... but I'm sure others jump on that chance when they are offered. I hope the future owners are magnanimous and doesn't mind that their watch has brought little moments of joy to the lives of fellow watch-enthusiasts who had the opportunity to briefly try it on.

Edited Jan 8, 2021
  16. Spikedlee Jan 8, 2021

The caseback seahorse logo as well as the circle around it is a bit more subdued on the new version. Not dramatically, but I can see that it is more recessed than the previous. Running my fingers across both I can definitely feel the difference so I think your skin will as well.

Alfista88 likes this.
  17. Alfista88 Jan 8, 2021

Thanks so much for that insight! Regarding the micro-adjustment: what works in your favor is that we're in the middle of winter, and the link themselves are much shorter than the previous bracelet :thumbsup:

When it warms up outside (or after some heavenly slices of Lou Malnati's, red hots, italian beefs... oh how I miss living in Chicago!!), I'm thinking you'll be able to add an extra link to that 12 o'clock side, and reposition the clasp back onto the inner micro adjust for a proper fit and immaculate bracelet -> clasp transition.

18. cvalue13 Jan 8, 2021

That is unfortunate.

The design of this clasp has otherwise been an attraction (isn’t it funny how the bracelets seem to be among the biggest winners in the update?).

Thank you for sharing.

19. frazierspa Jan 8, 2021

Congratulations, Spiked! Thanks for sharing the photos. Big help. Enjoy!
    Scott

20. VQ37Reaper Jan 8, 2021

Any chance you could upload some pics of the casebacks when you get a chance? The sharp caseback engraving is the whole reason I got rid of my speedy and I'm shocked more people don't complain about it. I'm beyond excited to hear they seemed to have subdued the engraving a bit.

Alfista88 likes this.