Forums Latest Members

Bought my first Omega watch..and worried

1. hmt Mar 27, 2019

Hello all. New member here and a noob. First time I post here so please forgive if I post this in the wrong place or using wrong terminologies.

I'd been eyeing the latest Omega AT 38mm (Caliber 8800) for quite some time now and finally pulled a trigger (bought from an online AD). Reference number is 220.10.38.20.01.001. Received the watch last Thursday and was so happy. It's a beautiful watch. Wound it up and let it run for 1 day to make sure it's ok and all is good (I normally do this with any watch I buy in case it's a DOA).

Next day I tried to wind it again and somehow I felt like a little resistance and it's kinda hard to wind and when I released my fingers after each wind, there was a little bounce back. Not sure how to explain, but like you try to screw something into thick and rubbery material and it twist back a little. The watch seems to be accurate. When I have it the second position (change date) and third position (change time) everything is smooth and easy to wind. But when it's in the first position (after unscrewed -- the manual winding position) it's not as smooth.

I then left it there for it to run 2 more days and this morning I tried to wind again and it's not as bad, but still not as good as my other watches.

Is this normal? Or is it possible that the stem got stuck or got something in it (if so why are 2nd and 3rd are ok?)? Could it because the first time I felt resistance because the barrel was full and I had the bounce back feeling? and since I left it to run 2 days (the hour reserve for this watch is 55 hours), it was almost out of juice and that's why it was easier the last time I tried to wind?

For those who own this particular watch, can you please chime in? I don't want to send it in Omega if it's for nothing. And don't want to waste days/weeks of not having the watch.

Thanks in advance for your help

lillatroll likes this.
  2. pongster Mar 27, 2019

Isnt it a co-axial automatic? So no need to manually wind.

deanathan12 likes this.
  3. johncatlas Mar 27, 2019

I have an 8400 and the "bounce" you're referring is quite normal, @Archer correct me if I'm wrong but I believe what you're feeling is a click spring (or yoke or whatever the hell its called) engaging the barrels (because the movement has two btw) to keep the mainsprings dumping their energy in an uncontrolled way. Keep in mind that although I know the symptom my guess to the cause is a total wag based on my limited experience opening watches. Also, I wouldn't worry too much about the manual winding being "tough", again so long it winds and gives that familiar soft buzzing we all love as our watches come to life I think you're fine. I really believe its because you're winding two mainsprings vs one, my SD and Speedy have less resistance than my Seamaster 300. Again, I'm no expert but I've experienced your observations and I feel its normal.

Congrats and wear it in good health.

Edited Mar 27, 2019
  4. hmt Mar 27, 2019

Yes it co-axial automatic. But I have many watches and I rotate them, so by the time I wear it again it's dead and needs to be wound (hence the feeling I have).

5. hmt Mar 27, 2019

Forgot to mention the fact it has 2 barrels and I am glad you brought it up. I really hope you're right and what you've described does make me feel better. So thank you. I will have it sized and start wearing (been debating if I should return it if it's in face having problem). Thanks again

6. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 27, 2019

Nothing you have described seems off to me. I would expect there to be more resistance when winding the mainspring, and the crown turning back is normal.

7. hmt Mar 27, 2019

Thank you. My other watches (Seiko and Longines) don't have this resistance and crown turning back (and I can wind them all day long). Is it still normal for Omega in general or just the ones with 2 barrels? Just trying to understand. Thanks again

8. keepitsimple Mar 27, 2019

I've got 2 co-axials - an early 2403 and an 8500. They are quite different movements, of course.

The 2403 is super smooth and easy to wind - apart from the escapement area, it is largely an ETA 2892 and I've always found those to be particularly easy to hand wind.

The 8500 is tougher, but not that difficult. I've always put the difference down to the twin barrell arrangement in some way, but it doesn't bother me.

It's probably no accident that yours is easer to wind after running down for 2 days when the spring tension has dropped right down.

I'm sure real experts will comment, but I wouldn't be concerned.

PS - A lot of older automatics are hard of next to impossible to hand wind - you should try hand winding something like my vintage IWC 8541 watch. Beautiful watch fitted with a lovely smooth crown.

Impossible to wind with just your fingers !

9. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 27, 2019

It doesn't have 2 barrels...

Comparing to completely different watches makes no sense at all to me. If you are not convinced, then take the watch back and ask them to look at it.

Als 27 likes this.
  10. hmt Mar 27, 2019

Thanks for all the information everyone. First time owning a watch (most expensive watch for me) that have this feeling, so just wanted to make sure. This is an awesome forum. Thank you all.

11. Evitzee Mar 27, 2019

Too much worrying. Never judge an automatic watch on how it feels when it is wound manually, some just feel odd Just wear it and let your normal daily activity wind the watch, both you and the watch will be happy.

Waxtactic and hmt like this.
  12. hmt Mar 27, 2019

My mistake sorry. I thought it has 2 barrels. Must have been confused with caliber 8900 (41mm size). Thanks for correcting me.

13. Bp1000 Mar 27, 2019

Bounce is normal

I have that on some of mine / no all, but they all have the same movement.

Some resistance is fine too. Omega movements are very well designed. Very few iterations are problematic. Maybe the 3201 a modified manual wind co-axial (chrono only) version of the 3313 I believe is the only one that springs to mind as being a bit wooly.

14. Waxtactic Mar 27, 2019

I wouldn't worry too much either. Take it for a test spin over the next few days. Slap it on your wrist, monitor how well it keeps time and if the issue presents itself again. If something is off it'll present itself at which case you get them to take it back. Who did you buy it from if you dont mind me asking?

15. hmt Mar 27, 2019

Timeless Luxury Watches in Texas. Great experience.

16. Waxtactic Mar 27, 2019

Wow, that's about a good a place as you can get. Dynamite reviews all around. I think you have very little to worry about, but take it for a test spin over the next few days. Also, if you still feel something is amiss, call them and talk to them about it. 10 to 1 says they'll be super nice about it and let you know if what you've experienced is out of the ordinary. Don't stress and enjoy good sir :thumbsup:

Flintlock likes this.