Bought my first Omega a month ago and already sold it

My story of a mildly spendthrift introduction to Omega ownership:

I was so delighted when I got it, but after a month, I just wasn't in love with it. It was my first Omega and ignorance coupled with lack of attention to detail cost me a loss of $1,500 on it. It was end of November when I decided to buy myself a bona fide luxury watch. I first bought a 2517.80 that looked gorgeous and I had to have it. However after more than a week and no shipping post-payment, I cancelled so it doesn't count as my first Omega. After searching for another, I found a 220.10.41.21.03.004 that I was after but when I went to buy it, it was already sold. I then found the 220.10.41.21.03.001 that I thought it was the same - I never noticed the blue accents until I received it. Still, I was thrilled with my first-ever Omega, destined to be my GADA, forever watch.

The watch was quite appealing but after a month, it didn't stop bothering me so I decided to eat the loss and get what I really wanted (the 220.10.41.21.03.004 without blue accents). However after endless hours of online perusing, I now know without a doubt that what I truly want is the 231.10.42.21.03.001 (the 41mm "skyfall"). It will be my GADA, forever watch. I'm not much of a James Bond fanboy or any other celebrity-themed following in products, but this model I just can't get over that blue hue on it and I love the date cage, Bond affiliation aside. Staring at that deep blue on my computer screen made me start seeing my blue 8900 as a little dull.

Hopefully I'll be getting one within the next month. In the meantime, I've acquired the 220.12.41.21.06.001 and the 231.10.39.61.02.001 to keep me from jonesing. The quartz I had to have just because of the hippocampus logo on the caseback, (lol) and figured I'd get it before the "hard to find" craze hits a new height. I'm not too thrilled about the whitish hue of the "silvery" dial - maybe I should have gotten the grey dial version. As for they grey 8900, I love the blue rubber strap but it definitely doesn't do double duty as a dress watch very well. Then again, perhaps the 2517.80 or 2503.80 should be a must-have in my collection. They might become hard to find down the road.

Lesson learned and I now know a lot more about the AT variants than I ever thought possible. But I need to figure out what I truly want before I talk myself into a financial blitzkrieg.

As I reached for the mouse to click "accept" on my best offer, I glanced over at my first-ever Omega, blue AT 8900 and yes, my heart hurt a little bit. What was supposed to be my GADA, forever watch so unceremoniously dispatched away on the fleabay market after such short-lived, month-long romance.

I almost hope the buyer fails to pay but then, how do I explain to the missus my need for a multi-watch autowinder box, next to our already-full quartz watch collection display? Besides, if I don't get rid of it, that worldtimer with the laser-etched dial will definitely be out of the question. I'll get the skyfall for now, then down the road I'll aim for the worldtimer as a self-reward when I accomplish a noteworthy achievement (hopefully in the near future), which will have to fight for wrist time with the grey 8900 on casual days. After that, I won't have an excuse to keep looking for another watch. I'm defnintley not going to be falling into the trap of Omega collection mania ...

I was so delighted when I got it, but after a month, I just wasn't in love with it. It was my first Omega and ignorance coupled with lack of attention to detail cost me a loss of $1,500 on it. It was end of November when I decided to buy myself a bona fide luxury watch. I first bought a 2517.80 that looked gorgeous and I had to have it. However after more than a week and no shipping post-payment, I cancelled so it doesn't count as my first Omega. After searching for another, I found a 220.10.41.21.03.004 that I was after but when I went to buy it, it was already sold. I then found the 220.10.41.21.03.001 that I thought it was the same - I never noticed the blue accents until I received it. Still, I was thrilled with my first-ever Omega, destined to be my GADA, forever watch.

The watch was quite appealing but after a month, it didn't stop bothering me so I decided to eat the loss and get what I really wanted (the 220.10.41.21.03.004 without blue accents). However after endless hours of online perusing, I now know without a doubt that what I truly want is the 231.10.42.21.03.001 (the 41mm "skyfall"). It will be my GADA, forever watch. I'm not much of a James Bond fanboy or any other celebrity-themed following in products, but this model I just can't get over that blue hue on it and I love the date cage, Bond affiliation aside. Staring at that deep blue on my computer screen made me start seeing my blue 8900 as a little dull.

Hopefully I'll be getting one within the next month. In the meantime, I've acquired the 220.12.41.21.06.001 and the 231.10.39.61.02.001 to keep me from jonesing. The quartz I had to have just because of the hippocampus logo on the caseback, (lol) and figured I'd get it before the "hard to find" craze hits a new height. I'm not too thrilled about the whitish hue of the "silvery" dial - maybe I should have gotten the grey dial version. As for they grey 8900, I love the blue rubber strap but it definitely doesn't do double duty as a dress watch very well. Then again, perhaps the 2517.80 or 2503.80 should be a must-have in my collection. They might become hard to find down the road.

Lesson learned and I now know a lot more about the AT variants than I ever thought possible. But I need to figure out what I truly want before I talk myself into a financial blitzkrieg.

As I reached for the mouse to click "accept" on my best offer, I glanced over at my first-ever Omega, blue AT 8900 and yes, my heart hurt a little bit. What was supposed to be my GADA, forever watch so unceremoniously dispatched away on the fleabay market after such short-lived, month-long romance.

I almost hope the buyer fails to pay but then, how do I explain to the missus my need for a multi-watch autowinder box, next to our already-full quartz watch collection display? Besides, if I don't get rid of it, that worldtimer with the laser-etched dial will definitely be out of the question. I'll get the skyfall for now, then down the road I'll aim for the worldtimer as a self-reward when I accomplish a noteworthy achievement (hopefully in the near future), which will have to fight for wrist time with the grey 8900 on casual days. After that, I won't have an excuse to keep looking for another watch. I'm defnintley not going to be falling into the trap of Omega collection mania ...

You're too late, The omega addiction not to mention the watch addiction has already set in, soon you will be hiding watch purchases from the wife, organising a secret bank account/ visa card etc and building a relationship with a multi watch box seller.
How do I know all this? Don't ask!
Edited:

Sometimes the only way to know is to discover it the hard way. Many of us here have tried them on, obsessed for months, price shopped and did all the diligence we could, only to discover after a week/month/year that we just didn’t bond with it.
The sales section here is riddled with dashed hopes and dreams- but we keep at it and keep buying them and eventually one will stick…then another, then you figure out what it is that thrilled you about those, then you know.

Another Dad Quote inbound...

"You can learn easily or softly, and it may stay with you forever but lose some money with the lesson and you'll never forget the lesson."

~he was a CPA and financial planner.

Hoping your next one is The One.

Addendum...

my moment of eating financial shit:

40mm Railmaster - the baton hander with etched dial, all brushed everything. Loved it, tried it on countless times, had to have it even though countless folks told me "all brushed is weird" and "wears large bro" and "butterfly clasp is strange for this model".

All brushed is weird and it wears big and butterfly clasp is strange.

It's on my daughter's wrist permanently - or until such day that I won't eat a bag of dicks selling it (last I checked, which isn't often, I will at least eat 2k on moving it to another's wrist). I don't want to profit off it, not why I buy watches -- but currently I refuse to eat a 2k mistake while my daughter enjoys it.

Aaahhh, harsh realization that I'm in deep, but nice to see that I'm not alone in this sadistic journey!

There is a famous line from an original Star Trek episode uttered by Mr. Spock: "After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing after all as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true."

Take your time, do your research, try to see the watches that you think you want in the metal, try them on, wait a bit, and then decide. It's a much less expensive approach than impulse buying. 😀.

One of my first purchases here back in September of last year is going to be one of the first on the chopping block. I fell out of love with it quickly even though it's perfectly amazing.

Good luck on your next one. 😀

Thank you all for your sage advice. Since selling that watch, I have changed my mind about a half a dozen times about what watch I really want.

Now I have a clear idea of what I really want, and which are the "would be nice to have if the price is right."

After going back and forth so much over the past couple of weeks, I think the acquisition of my GADA watch will be more enjoyable, because all this wanting (and losing money) will likely make me appreciate it that much more
Edited:

Addendum...

40mm Railmaster - the baton hander with etched dial, all brushed everything. Loved it, tried it on countless times, had to have it even though countless folks told me "all brushed is weird" and "wears large bro" and "butterfly clasp is strange for this model".

It's on my daughter's wrist permanently - or until such day that I won't eat a bag of dicks selling it (last I checked, which isn't often, I will at least eat 2k on moving it to another's wrist). I don't want to profit off it, not why I buy watches -- but currently I refuse to eat a 2k mistake while my daughter enjoys it.

40mm Railmaster?

Are you talking about 220.12.40.20.06.001? 😎

“There are only two tragedies in life: one is not getting what one wants, and the other is getting it.”

Oscar Wilde

IMO not applicable to: VINTAGE 😀

There is a famous line from an original Star Trek episode uttered by Mr. Spock: "After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing after all as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true."
I think the Buddha, and dopamine, would agree

Addendum...

Damn, sounds like you got… railed. ::rimshot::

If you learn something from the transaction, then it is not money (entirely) wasted.

If you learn something from the transaction, then it is not money (entirely) wasted.

You are right, it's money not entirely wasted. I have learned a lot from the experience - biggest lesson is to thoroughly research before making an impulse buy, lol!

What cracks my noggin is thinking about the fact I could have bought another watch with that money! Live and learn... or not learn 😗

I was so delighted when I got it, but after a month, I just wasn't in love with it. It was my first Omega and ignorance coupled with lack of attention to detail cost me a loss of $1,500 on it. It was end of November when I decided to buy myself a bona fide luxury watch. I first bought a 2517.80 that looked gorgeous and I had to have it. However after more than a week and no shipping post-payment, I cancelled so it doesn't count as my first Omega. After searching for another, I found a 220.10.41.21.03.004 that I was after but when I went to buy it, it was already sold. I then found the 220.10.41.21.03.001 that I thought it was the same - I never noticed the blue accents until I received it. Still, I was thrilled with my first-ever Omega, destined to be my GADA, forever watch...

@EuroDriver great story and as others have said, building a collection is a long and slow process if you want to make sure you love all your pieces, until the day your tastes change with time... haha

Quick question for you though as you manipulated quick a few ATs and I haven't found a clear answer regarding this:
I love the look and probably would also love the feel of the rubber strap you had on your AT 8900, I personally only own a 1st gen 2503.80 but I was wondering you had any input regarding if you believe the new rubber strap would fit on the older 1st gen case, I think it might be too late now for you to try that as I believe the watch is already sold but maybe you can have an idea?

Thanks in advance!

Hi Seiha,

I never had my hands on the 2517.80 as I got tired of waiting for the seller to ship it and I canceled the order. However, I believe the 2503 uses a 19mm bracelet, just like the newer AT 8900. So it should fit. Only think is that the 8900 rubber strap comes with a metal piece to fill the gap between the case and the case lugs. Given that the 2503 case is 39.5mm and the 8900 has a 41mm case, there might be a fitment issue with that piece but worse case scenario, the rubber strap should fit without that piece.

Perhaps someone with first-hand experience can chime in.

The rubber strap is a very pleasant option! Visually appealing and so light I sometimes think I forgot to put on my watch.