Forums Latest Members

Bought a Tri-Compax.. but it might be fake :(

1. sophix Mar 19, 2018

Hey folks, so I just made a purchase of a Tri-Compax off the bay, but now I've got a funny feeling that it may not be at all original :(

Here's the original post: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-...969708?hash=item33e1b3812c:g:nrsAAOSwHUhZ8QrNPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

It strikes me as odd that its a a Tri Compax movement, but stamped with a cal 281 which is usually reserved for a chrono only UG (then how is the calendar and moonphase powered? I've always admired the Tri-Compax from far, and truth be told, am not incredibly well versed with UG watches.

Help!

s-l1600 (8).jpg s-l1600 (9).jpg s-l1600 (10).jpg s-l1600 (11).jpg s-l1600 (12).jpg s-l1600 (13).jpg s-l1600 (14).jpg s-l1600 (15).jpg s-l1600 (16).jpg s-l1600 (17).jpg
  2. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Mar 19, 2018

Not fake, just a bad redial. Movement number (281) is not specific to complications.

billving, Mark020 and Larry S like this.
  3. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Mar 19, 2018

Cancel this purchase and come here before you buy. Get familiar with the brand and the watches.

Kmart, Xeer, semper_shells and 2 others like this.
  4. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Mar 19, 2018

It's also a cal 283, not a 281.

If you paid the price on the ebay listing, return it promptly.

Kmart, rolokr and Florent like this.
  5. Florent Mar 19, 2018

This watch is a redial (not original factory dial but reprint)

You should return :thumbsup:

6. bardamu Mar 19, 2018

Even if it's not listed as original?

7. sophix Mar 19, 2018

I actually PM'ed the seller in chat, and he did mention it was supposedly all original.

Thanks guys for the crazy quick responses - I'm in touch with the seller to hopefully get a refund :(

Btw, could someone school me on how a Cal. 283, while seemingly not from an original tri-compax watch, can still power all the complications like calendar and moon face? Little confused here.

Thanks again.

8. Tiny Iota Could potentially be the Official OF Stalker ™ Mar 19, 2018

Lots of people saying to return it, but on what grounds was this misrepresented? Buyer entered into a contract. Doesn’t look like there’s any cause for a return.
    Edit: OP posted at same time as me above. If he was told it was original privately, then he’s got grounds

sophix likes this.
  9. bardamu Mar 19, 2018

Good for you then ;)

sophix likes this.
  10. sophix Mar 19, 2018

I've just contacted the seller, and he mentions that the dial is indeed original, but is refinished. Does this in fact mean its the original dial but painted over? Again, I'm crazy confused about the Cal. 283 on a Tri-Compax. I can't seem to find any other documents documenting this.

Thank you all for your help thus far.

11. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Mar 19, 2018

The third figure in the ref calls for a Cal 283 ....so the case and movement are correct but that dial is a reprint as stated. A dial is not original if it is reprinted. Its a redial.

12. bgrisso Mar 19, 2018

Don't focus on the cal, that is not your issue. UG has base cal with a range of numbers and sizes which can be used in a variety on configurations. The problem here is you have a redial (probably original dial, repainted) and very general wording in the seller description that does not cover you. Additionally it looks like all four subdial hands are wrong, and I'm not sure the two pushers are matching either, again none of which is addressed in seller description. If you have email saying all original I'm not sure how eBay handles this, I hope in your favor. That was a ballsy first purchase considering the location and your limited knowledge. I hope you get your money back and then come here for help before you try again.

sophix likes this.
  13. ConElPueblo Mar 19, 2018

Typical crook's description... "well the dial plate is original..."

By that train of logic, both of these are original:

[​IMG]

Kmart, frederico, chronoboy64 and 6 others like this.
  14. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Mar 19, 2018

15. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Mar 19, 2018

billving, RIGG and sophix like this.
  16. bardamu Mar 19, 2018

I agree. "Caveat emptor" is a tough law I also learned the hard way in the past, since I'm a vintage passionate.
    I hope sincerely the opener gets back his money, because it's not a low amount.

Edited Mar 19, 2018
    sophix likes this.
  17. wkimmd Mar 19, 2018

:confused:
    A bad redial, at that...

18. sophix Mar 19, 2018

Thank you all for the amazing response, and especially Larry S for the all the images. Fortunately, I've just got a full refund from the seller, but disappointed my first foray into vintage UG ended this way. The wealth of information here is absolutely incredible. I've got so much to learn. For now, I need to figure out how the heck to spot a refinished dial.

Nevertheless, you'll be sure to hear from me soon. A day older, a day wiser.

isnardi, waXology and Reddy_Kilowatt like this.
  19. bardamu Mar 19, 2018

Glad to know that! ;)

sophix likes this.
  20. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Mar 19, 2018

This is typical shifty wordplay in the watch trade. No one cares that the dial is original when it has been repainted. The damage to the watch's value has been done. Incidentally, the seller is a well-known and longstanding trafficker in dubious merchandise. DO NOT buy from Central and South America unless you know what you are doing and who you are dealing with.

sophix likes this.