Forums Latest Members

Books (watch history, repair, etc.)

1. pletcher Jul 30, 2017

Hi all,

What have you been reading?

More specifically, what have you been reading as it pertains to watches?

I've just recently been bit by the vintage watch bug, and while my collection is nothing to speak of at the moment, I'm interested in learning as much as I can about watch history (especially in the 20th century) and repair.

Do you have any recommended places to start outside of the standard internet fare?

2. Mad Dog rockpaperscissorschampion Jul 30, 2017

Howdy...and a hearty welcome to OF! :thumbsup:

I'm constantly referencing this publication...specifically the first 100 pages as well as the terminolgy section in the back. :thumbsup:

IMG_7117.JPG

pletcher likes this.
  3. Toishome Jul 30, 2017

Just bought a copy. Thanks for the tip:thumbsup:

pletcher and Mad Dog like this.
  4. pletcher Jul 31, 2017

Hi, and thanks!

That publication seems great -- looks like I'll have to pick up a copy too :) Thanks for the tip!

Mad Dog likes this.
  5. Maybe Jul 31, 2017

Donald de Carle has made a few books, I like especially the one on: "Complicated watches and their repair".

pletcher likes this.
  6. Toishome Aug 3, 2017

So I got my book a couple of days ago Mad Dog and I like the additional knowledge but how realistic you think these reference prices are?
    Seems to me like I wouldn't buy any watches if I were to abide by them. Am I wrong? Then again my only reference for pricing is Ebay.

Mad Dog likes this.
  7. Mad Dog rockpaperscissorschampion Aug 3, 2017

Sir, regarding the price numbers shown in the CGTW publication...I really have no idea how realistic they are. Although, I thought I remembered reading early in the CGTW publication that those price numbers only serve as somewhat of a guide. I mainly bought it for the first 100 pages of basic horological information as well as the terminology section in the back.

Toishome likes this.
  8. river rat Aug 4, 2017

The complete price guide to watches is only good on pocket watches prices you go to highly collectable vintage wristwatches like Omega and Rolex and Breitling and Longines and highly collectable vintage military issued watches and there out of touch with the prices dam wished I could get them for the price that book said there worth I would get a deal there for halve of what they are worth I have a 2012 copy some of the info it has like serial number dating makes it worth while but don't trust the wristwatch pricing for selling or you will be taken to the cleaners. Here are a few book I have on watch collecting.
    Military Wristwatches sky land sea by Michaele Galizia
    Military Timepieces by Z.M. Wesolowski this is on all countries military watches
    Zero Hour by William Schorr this was a book put together by a Mod from MWR forum it's out of print but a cool photo book on Military issued watches.
    Fascination of Russian watches by Michael Ceyp
    Military Timepieces by Whitney This is the original than the one above all on US Military time pieces
    TM 9-1575 war department tech manual for ord. maintenance wristwatches pocket watches and stop watches and clocks 1945 a cool book from WW2 with cool info.
    The Ship's Chronometer by Whitney
    Railroad watches ID and price guide by Roy Ehrhart and William Meggers this is old and out of print they were doing this book before the complete price guide to watches but a cool book for ID the price guide is out of date.
    A couple books I got from the NAWCC they use to sell
    Origins of the Waltham model 57 by Ron Price
    A study of E.Howard & CO watchmaking Innovations 1858-1875 by Clint B. Geller PH.D
    Boston Cradle of Industrial Watchmaking
    And here is a cool one Military timepiece of a exhibit they had it's out of print but they have a free PDF copy I got the paper version. Link below
    https://nawcc.org/images/stories/publications/military_timepieces1.pdf
    I got more Knowledge from these books and that helps you from getting ripped off in this hobby plus you learn about the watches or clocks you collect..

Edited Aug 4, 2017
    Toishome, JimInOz and Mad Dog like this.
  9. mph57 Aug 6, 2017

If you're interested in historical military timepieces, here are three that I have and highly recommend:

1. "Militaruhren Military Timepieces" by Konrad Knirim
    2. "British Military Timepieces" by Konrad Knirim

Both of these books have great information and fantastic color photography! Mr. Knirim is one of the foremost experts on historical German and British military timepieces.

3. "Military Timepieces" by Marvin Whitney

Another informative piece with an emphasis on U.S. military timepieces. This book was written substantially earlier than the first two books that I mentioned and the accompanying photography is black/white. Mr. Whitney worked at the U.S. Naval Observatory and conducted timing checks during WWII on many of the timepieces he writes about.

Below are the covers of the three books. Cheers!

Knirim 1.jpg knirim 2.jpg Whitney 1.jpg

10. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Aug 6, 2017

Any printed price guide is obsolete the day it leaves the presses

GuiltyBoomerang likes this.