Forums Latest Members

Bonhams, The Space History Sale. NYC 21st April.

1. DLT222 Double D @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 18, 2015

This upcoming sale in New York, brought to you by Bonhams, the famous auction house.

These are some truly amazing items from the space age of Mercury, Gemini and Apollo missions inc Apollo-Soyuz as well as some awesome meteorite samples!

The best item is of course Alan Bean's solid 18ct gold 'Tribute to Astronauts' Omega Speedmaster from 1969. The watch is number 26/30. Even though there were 1014 of these made the first 30 were for dignatories and astronauts. The rest up until number 1000 were for public sale then numbers 1001-1008 were given to astronauts also. (Lot No 141).

Alan Bean flew on Apollo 12 and Skylab 2. There is no doubt that some of his most treasured possessions are up for grabs including the MacBean Tartan (used for Scottish Kilts to distinguish clans) he took on board Apollo 12!

Take a look through and how cool would it be for some of these to make it to the OF members, especially the Stars and Stripes flag flown on Gemini 4! Put that with your watch!!

https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/22386/

2. Kringkily Omega Collector / Hunter Apr 19, 2015

I saw a showing at their showroom with some stuff on display visible via the street. Pretty cool stuff

3. TLIGuy Apr 19, 2015

Yes, this is a nice auction with a lots of nice pieces to be had. These are always great to watch since the lunar surface pieces will command crazy money. If you thought collecting vintage Speedmasters was a pricy hobby get into space flown collectables.

Thanks for the misdirection here DLT222. While you are all focused on the Bean watch I'm keeping my eye on the lunar surface mechanical pencil. You can never have enough.

image_zpsdebfd610.JPG

DLT222, Gavin, lwong and 1 other person like this.
  4. DLT222 Double D @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 19, 2015

Yeah space flown gear is mental money. Interesting to see the Buzz Aldrin signed photo, I have one with a COA never thought it would have an estimated value like that.

TLIGuy likes this.
  5. TLIGuy Apr 21, 2015

Damn!! My Bean lunar surface pencil went unsold. $50,000 for the watch is a nice premium.

6. Tjmmartin Apr 22, 2015

Tempted by the cuff links but couldn't register to bid online within 24 hours of auction.....I suppose I could have made a telephone bid.....but it would have taken some explaining at home!

TLIGuy likes this.