Blue side of the moon?

Hello Omega people,

Speedmaster Moonphase Blue Side Of The Moon - 304.93.44.52.03.001 | OMEGA® (omegawatches.com)

This watch has been a sort of obession for me for years. When I became interested in watches some time 2019-2020 I always thought this one looks nice and has some kind of enigma to it (in a good way).

Years have passed and now I am finally in a position to acquire one. It is definetely too large for my 6.5 " wrist but the lug to lug dimension is somewhat fine. I dont really think this kind of a watch is supposed to make any sense nor be a daily driver. This would be a toy for me to wear occasionally. Mostly I'd keep it in a winder to check the moon phase.

Any thoughts on this watch? Should I get it? Will I crack the ceramic case to the first door handle I am going to encounter? Anyone here with a small wrist who would like to share experiences of this watch or a watch with similiar case design?

I am not even considering the aventurine version. For some reason I have never had any feelings towards it.

I had this watch back in 2019, the size was fine for my 7.5" wrist, it was a bit too thick for my liking, though, but not a deal breaker. I wouldn't worry about damaging the ceramic case, that's unlikely to happen. My eventual conclusion for this watch was based on color, there is just a lot of blue going on; dial, case, strap, clasp, it's all blue all the time. The dial is a beautiful blue, but I had a problem with the blue of the case. It's fine indoors under artificial light but in natural light the case can take on a bit of a chalky, washed out appearance on the brushed surfaces and the blue itself can take on just a hint of a purplish hue. Not totally unattractive but something to be aware of. In the end I decided there was just too much blue for me and I sold it. If you like the watch give it a shot.
Edited:

I have a ceramic 39.5 black planet ocean that had its case crack when dropped from 2 feet onto a bathroom floor. It was a pricey repair.

Ceramic is certainly scratch resistant, but it will crack - it certainly doesn't have the durability of the stainless steel watches.

I have a ceramic 39.5 black planet ocean that had its case crack when dropped from 2 feet onto a bathroom floor. It was a pricey repair.

Ceramic is certainly scratch resistant, but it will crack - it certainly doesn't have the durability of the stainless steel watches.

I’m sorry to hear about your cracked ceramic case. I had my DSotM flying through the air at a security control at Haneda airport (I forgot I had it rolled it up in my jacket going through the x-ray machine), and it landed on the tiles without a scratch or crack.

Sure, the angle of how it lands clearly makes a difference, as ceramic is a more brittle material, but I wouldn’t call a ceramic watch less durable. In many ways is more durable than steel and as you say it will always look like new. I would not hesitate to buy ceramic again.

I had this watch back in 2019, the size was fine for my 7.5" wrist, it was a bit too thick for my liking, though, but not a deal breaker. I wouldn't worry about damaging the ceramic case, that's unlikely to happen. My eventual conclusion for this watch was based on color, there is just a lot of blue going on; dial, case, strap, clasp, it's all blue all the time. The dial is a beautiful blue, but I had a problem with the blue of the case. It's fine indoors under artificial light but in natural light the case can take on a bit of a chalky, washed out appearance on the brushed surfaces and the blue itself can take on just a hint of a purplish hue. Not totally unattractive but something to be aware of. In the end I decided there was just too much blue for me and I sold it. If you like the watch give it a shot.

In this foto it looks simply amazing to me

That is scary indeed and clearly a thing that has deterred me of pulling the trigger. There is also the stainless steel option which could be a more sound purchase in a long term however I dont exactly get the same vibe out of it.

This I mean Speedmaster Moonphase 44.25 mm, steel on leather strap - 304.33.44.52.03.001 | OMEGA® (omegawatches.com)

OR go all in and buy the aventurine version 😀 I have never seen it in person to be perfectly honest.

Speedmaster Moonwatch Omega Co-Axial Master Chronometer Moonphase Chronograph 44.25 mm - 304.93.44.52.03.002 | OMEGA® (omegawatches.com)

Some have said that this is the most special watch they have ever seen from Omega

edit: I think it is fairly safe to say I need a blue speedmaster.

I have had the aventurine version for years. I love it and it's my most worn watch overall because I don't have to worry about scratching the clasp while working on my laptop or in other situations where id be concerned with a scratchable watch. And it's very beautiful of course. The aventurine is lovely of course but honestly other aspects of the watch can shine through even more like the rose gold moonphase.

If you're worried about ceramic cracking get insurance or don't bring it into the bathroom. From my standpoint it's been very durable against occasional bangs against hard surfaces like doorknobs.

I think the blue ceramic case is artistic as it gives the impression that the night sky effect is continuous with the case.