Forums Latest Members
  1. DaveParks Jun 21, 2016

IMG_2493.JPG Omega Automatic
    LL 6304 (?)
    Custom face featuring a two color light and dark blue Texas star surrounded by fifteen (15) smaller solid dark blue stars supported by 'laurels' of bluebonnets with the year 193 in gold on the bluebonnet stalks, all surmounted by the phrase 'THE BLUEBONNET BOWL'
    Engraved on back with D. McCormick (my cousin, for whom I was named)
    Awarded to LSU players in lieu of rings.
    Any recommendations on preventing further degradation of the face of this family heirloom or information in general?
    i have been unable to find any information of this watch on the Omega site using any of the numbers inside the watch.

Taddyangle, Giff2577 and Darlinboy like this.
  2. Jonatan Jun 22, 2016

That is a very nice looking watch!

I know nothing about Omega watches, but I think you might get more interest if the vintage Omega watches forum, although I do agree that it is unique.

I'm sure the mods will move it if needed!

Welcome to the forum btw.

3. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Jun 22, 2016

DaveParks likes this.
  4. novina Jun 22, 2016

Can you post pictures of the inside? Movement and inside of the back cover where the numbers are? This information is needed to identify and verify the watch itself. After that, you will have to do more research about the BLUE BONNET BOWL.
    Please read the STICKIES at the top of the VINTAGE section. It will let you know exactly what is need for proper ID.

Nice watch, a great family heirloom. Now do the leg work and get it the PROVINANCE it should have to back up the story.

2 second on BNG and I get this first hit:
    http://www.digplanet.com/wiki/1963_Bluebonnet_Bowl

I'm sure you can do it too.

5. Jonatan Jun 22, 2016

6. Jonatan Jun 22, 2016

7. Andy K Dreaming about winning an OFfie one day. Jun 22, 2016

I've seen presentation Omegas from the Rose Bowl, Cotton Bowl, Blue Bonnet Bowl, Sugar Bowl, and a few others for sale on eBay over the years. I think they are pretty cool and it is fun to dig up the game result and that seasons stats to see if the person on the engraving was a an important player in the game. They usually have nicely painted dials and personal inscriptions on the back. I've always wondered if a US jeweler custom painted the dials or if Omega did it themselves, since getting them for entire football teams each year is probably a big enough order that Omega might do it themselves. Normally the number on the inside of the caseback is that of a standard production model.

Mark020 and DaveParks like this.
  8. DaveParks Jun 22, 2016

The problem I have is that the only provenance I can provide is that I was named for my cousin, to whom it was originally presented, then given to me by his widow as a remembrance after his passing.
    My concern is more the preservation of the watch at this point.

9. DaveParks Jun 22, 2016

10. DaveParks Jun 22, 2016

[QUOTE="]Can you post pictures of the inside? Movement and inside of the back cover where the numbers are? [/QUOTE]
    Thank you for the pointer about the sticky!
    I'll be heading over there now.

IMG_2511.JPG IMG_2507.JPG
    tapaptpat likes this.
  11. DaveParks Jun 22, 2016

Thank you and thank you.
    It's always unnerving for a n00b like me to walk up to long term fans and ask baby step questions.
    Everyone's been very supportive thus far. That's been a relief.

12. DaveParks Jun 22, 2016

My cousin played for LSU and they lost that year, darn it! (He had much more success with the 49's and the Saints later in life however!)
    That's one of the things I'd like to find out as well. Was this face custom crafted by a Jeweler for the event or is this something that the folks at Omega were involved in crafting directly.
    It's a beautiful face and I'm constantly amazed that it's in as good a shape as it is as I know he wore it regularly enough right up till his death that there was some debate if he should be buried with it on or not.
    I'm pleased that his wife decided against it, obviously. It's a treasured piece and I have two nephews and a niece fighting over who gets to take care of it after I pass on as I have no kids of my own. XD (I'm pulling for the niece. She'll take better care of it I think.)

Edited Jun 22, 2016
    Andy K likes this.
  13. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jun 22, 2016

This kind of dial is called "linen", as it resembles the fabric. Very popular style in the 1960's. Almost all of the big watch manufacturers had linen dials as an option back then. The dial almost certainly came that way from the factory.

The case was made in the US by Jonell Watch Case Company of New York, under license from Norman Morris Co., which was the US Omega importer at the time. They likely arranged for the silk screen printing to the order of the Blue Bonnet Bowl Committee in Houston.

I would not touch the dial under any circumstances. Since it is a custom printed dial, we would have no way to know if any solvent that would remove the dirt wouldn't also remove the printing.

I hope you are able to get it up and running properly. A wonderful heirloom.
    gatorcpa

tapaptpat, Giff2577, Mr Bing and 3 others like this.
  14. DaveParks Jun 22, 2016

OMGosh! Thank you! That's a huge part of the information I've been looking for!
    I had hoped that the face could be cleaned, but ANY risk of damage to the face would not be worth it.
    It'll have to wear it's age spots with quiet dignity, same as me.

Fortunately the case is in excellent shape for having been worn like it was and amazingly enough, it still runs perfectly.
    Wind it enough to get it going, set it, and the autowind feature of the watch will keep it going indefinitely so long as your arm swings.
    I keep it in a case in my office at home and only wear it on special occasions but I'm pleased to report that it's still a perfectly functional tool as well as being a beautiful piece of art.

tapaptpat and Mr Bing like this.
  15. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jun 22, 2016

tapaptpat, dougiedude and DaveParks like this.
  16. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Jun 22, 2016

He was there with his kids.
    The picture is of his wife's ticket, she had end-of-year tax and P&L statements to get out for him and she could not attend!
    Evan laments the $2.50 to this very day.

ConElPueblo and dougiedude like this.
  17. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jun 23, 2016

I was barely two years old then.

But OK, I'll roll with it.
    gatorcpa

Vitezi likes this.
  18. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Jun 23, 2016

Please take the time to write down your cousin's information (pro career, also) and how it came to you, as the watch's provenance. I know you don't plan to sell it but, if it ever were for sale, that information is integral to the watch's history because stories change and people forget, over time.

ahartfie likes this.
  19. Mr Bing Jun 23, 2016

Must say I'm loving this thread and the whole story behind it.

OP seems a nice guy too.

tapaptpat and Andy K like this.
  20. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Jun 23, 2016

I agree. The only thing wrong with this thread is there's no mention of Texas winning the national championship in 1963. Now it's a great thread.:D