Forums Latest Members
  1. Mach Feb 8, 2020

“Juliet Bravo 1-7-3-5 Cleared to Land”

After a long, tortuous flight (i.e. wait), the Air Command has made a smooth landing onto my wrist!
    AC.jpg

This is my initial foray into the world of Blancpain. However, I always thought it would be some iteration of a Fifty Fathoms. In fact, I originally called the boutique back in May to submit a deposit for another 2019 novelty, the Barakuda. But, the more photos I saw of the Air Command, the more I started to question my decision. After an agonizing internal debate, I decided to transfer my deposit to the Air Command, which, fortunately, the boutique was able to satisfy:
    AC2.jpg

I was at a client engagement down in New Orleans this week where you don’t get the best phone reception. On Tuesday, I went to lunch and then I noticed a bunch of emails downloaded. Initially, I didn’t pay much attention. Then, towards the end of my lunch, I recognized an email from Blancpain. My colleagues saw my reaction and asked, “Are you okay?” I replied, “Yes! In fact, I’m ecstatic!” Now, I’m usually home on Thursday nights. Unfortunately, I had to fly to our office in Houston on Friday for my annual performance review yesterday! Ugh - talk about poor timing :(
    AC4.jpg

I’m a huge fan of modern iterations that pay tribute to vintage pieces. The original Air Command was unsuccessfully pitched to the U.S Air Force in the late 1950’s. The actual number produced is obscured under a cloud of ambiguity. But, estimates are less than 100. Slightly larger, the new Air Command is almost visually identical to the original.
    AC5.jpg

Although a source of heartburn for some, I actually love the propeller rotor:
    AC3.jpg

IMHO, Blancpain knocked it out of the park with the Air Command.:)
    AC6.jpg

Have a great weekend!

Mark

marco, mnf67, zrleopold and 15 others like this.
  2. speedydownunder Feb 8, 2020

A stunning watch. Congrats!

3. calalum Feb 8, 2020

I believe an esteemed member here has (or had) a vintage Air Command, which is a true grail for some.

4. arcadelt Feb 8, 2020

A great watch (and re-edition, which I love too). Congratulations on your pickup.

5. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Feb 9, 2020

Do you recall, does it also have the catnip rotor?

6. pongster Feb 9, 2020

Congrats sir. Nice one. The bezel rotates also?

Looked at the air command flyback also.

But got smitten by this instead - a leman rattrapante flyback.

289CC2C8-584F-4636-AE3D-3F96808130E4.png
  7. KstateSkier Feb 9, 2020

Thats a stunning watch! Never realized Blancpain reissued this.

8. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. Feb 9, 2020

Love that watch! Congrats :thumbsup:

9. scapa Feb 9, 2020

That is an absolutely amazing piece. Congrats, and wow.

Is that propeller-rotor made of red gold or another material? Very striking indeed.