Forums Latest Members
  1. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Apr 2, 2013

2. AJDay Apr 2, 2013

3. MKelley Apr 2, 2013

4. ulackfocus Apr 2, 2013

Watched it too but it wasn't me. Done quite a few waffle dials and got them (mostly) out of my system.

Dablitzer likes this.
  5. Mothra Apr 3, 2013

I had a snipe lined up but was worried about the case condition and the star looked more corroded than the rest of the markers, and the crown was really really worn - not an issue in itself, but a watch that's had a lit it wear. I was prepared to go to £760, and ut went a way past that. I will have a bumper Connie at some point....

6. Dablitzer Apr 3, 2013

:cool:

7. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Apr 3, 2013

This watch is all about the dial and I think the auction ended up at an appropriate price. If it came in a nicer case it would probably be a $1600-$2000 watch.

8. Dablitzer Apr 3, 2013

Could you always source a nice case for it? I mean that dial looked nice to me. Although, I'm starting to find love for my steel one again..

9. sumerian Gold Constellation Magpie Apr 3, 2013

Wont that make it a franken?

10. ulackfocus Apr 3, 2013

These aren't rare, so it's very possible to snag a nice case with crappy dial, do the swap, and sell off the remaining watch on eBay.

Not if it's the exact correct parts to most people. But to the extreme purist, yes.

11. Dablitzer Apr 3, 2013

Personally, and I'm not a purist, I couldn't live with that case..I've done it once..never again!

12. Dablitzer Apr 3, 2013

Depends how much you want the watch to look NOS and as long as everything is 'original'... ;)

13. ulackfocus Apr 3, 2013

No argument with your thinking and I'm glad your experience is starting to shape your opinions, but Steve does have a knack for finding parts and donor watches. He's willing to buy for a great dial and hunt the replacement pieces.

14. Dablitzer Apr 3, 2013

Completely agree if the case/parts can be sourced. I would love to build up a watch to make it 'ideal'. I may even scour the net to find a replacement dial for my 2852! Maybe Steve could help? (I would gladly help him too if needed!)

15. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 3, 2013

Replacing a worn part with the exact same part does not make a watch a Franken. Building a watch of parts from several watches that were never meant to be together would,example: Seamaster case, Constellation dial, movement from a different era, etc.
    Otherwise changing a bezel, crown, crystal, or movement part would make most watches Frankens and we would not be collecting vintage watches. One has to have some perspective here, unless you are one of those folks that washes their hands every 10 minutes. In that case they can prescribe you pills for that.:D

As to the watch in question the case while not in the newer condition all would prefer, is not all that bad either, largely a victim of distorted photography (photographed too closely with inappropriate lens). The case back is in pretty good shape. The movement is very clean, crown is irrelevant. Star on dial often goes dark when photographed and even if tarnished, easily cleaned. I think you will be surprised when you see it next. These early Constellations with guilloche dials are getting more and more rare every year, black, rarer still, when was the last one you saw, besides the one Mike sold. Good dial ones are even more rare.

Alex, personally there are dials on some of your watches that I could not live with.:p

16. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 3, 2013

Alex the key to finding parts you need is patience and persistence. eBay is still the best source, but you need to setup searches and still scan the new arrivals every day.

17. Dablitzer Apr 3, 2013

Thanks Steve, yes I agree. I think it's all about being patient. The watches I don't feel happy with will mostly be flipped at some point. Depends what people are looking for out there, I think I would of bought that watch for the dial, but it was too much IMO for just the dial.

18. ulackfocus Apr 3, 2013

Had this great dial once from a 14.324. Got it as part of a franken I willingly purchased to wear while waiting for an 18ct 14.324 to pop up. They came about once every 2 or 3 years, and most times the dials were beat or refinished. Lost patience and sold the dial to Mike - and then one was isted on eBay a few months later. :mad: Sent the link to Mike (basically admitting defeat :p ) and now he has 2 very nice examples because I didn't wait it out.

When it comes to project / parts watches, you're either 100% in or don't bother.

19. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 3, 2013

Ah, but I didn't. I would never buy for just a dial. The movement and dial came together from the factory, that is the key. That and like I said, go out and try and find one of these, you might get lucky or you might wait years. The value is there.

20. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Apr 3, 2013

Here's how I made my non-Franken...
    I knew of a rare but mutilated Zenith languishing in an Italian watch shop, and when the necessary parts miraculously popped up on eBay, I pounced on both. There's no way I would have speculated on either half of the marriage individually, though... too unlikely to find a match.

http://omegaforums.net/index.php?threads/An-Espada-Is-(re-)born.4149/