Forums Latest Members

Black rubber strap on AT with brown shoes?

1. Omega50 Nov 5, 2020

Am pondering a black dial AT 41 mm with a black rubber strap for my everyday use watch (to be worn with a suit and blue jeans, etc). I often wear brown shoes though so I’m hesitant. Any thoughts are appreciated. The steel bracelet glossy finish on Omegas seem like they’d scratch easily.

Thanks.

2. Wetworks Nov 5, 2020

I don't think black rubber poses a problem. If it were a croc/alligator/leather etc strap then I would say it might be a bit off. Alternately, you can get the latter straps in a brown to match your shoes!

3. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Nov 5, 2020

I do not see why not. It’s not 100% optimal but go for it. I’d personally not wear rubber with a suit...

a collection of nato and single pass through leather straps might solve your problem.

I had single pass through leather straps made for many of my watches to make them easy to swap looks on.

Single pass through on an SKX. 2B254B03-421B-4916-B0E8-9613EBC9DFA5.jpeg

wolfe44 and DJG2645 like this.
  4. slwoodster Nov 5, 2020

I think it'll look fine.

Get the bracelet and then swap it out with leather or rubber based on preference.

5. Gav1967 Tend not to fret too much Nov 5, 2020

Buy some black shoes ....FIFY ::bleh::

6. 3rdstringholder Nov 5, 2020

Shoes, belts and watch straps typically should be of at least a similar hue. However, with the strap being rubber, it could be viewed as a little more casual. What the hell, why not?

Wetworks likes this.
  7. mz_cle Nov 5, 2020

In this, The Age of Covid, are not all shoes tennis or athletic shoes now?

KiwiRob and wagudc like this.
  8. Evitzee Nov 5, 2020

NO ONE CARES, NO ONE. Just wear what you like. People dress so casually these days that the idea of wearing a brown strap with black shoes, or a rose gold wedding ring with a white metal watch, just aren't issues people are concerned with. It's all in your noggin.

crd, KiwiRob, Edgeworth and 2 others like this.
  9. abrod520 Nov 5, 2020

We're all having fun, he's asking for opinions

Personally I agree I wouldn't wear rubber with a suit. If your dress shoes (that you wear with the suit) are brown, then I'd start with a nice brown leather strap. I would go with quick-release straps if this is the only watch you'll be wearing, but more importantly (from my perspective) this creates a need for a second, more casual watch to be worn on a rubber or NATO strap, with jeans & sneakers.

McKnife, Dan S and Foo2rama like this.
  10. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. Nov 5, 2020

One of the dumbest questions I've seen posted here.

11. 3rdstringholder Nov 5, 2020

Nothing dumb about it.

12. Drb477 Nov 5, 2020

I wear black rubber PO with brown shoes all the time. Did it today in fact. I've worn it with a suit before, didn't feel out of place. The omega rubber is really nice and approximates leather at a distance, so it dresses up okay imo if it has to. This is 2020, people wear apple watches with suits...

I would suggest, however, always getting a watch on bracelet if it's an option. Rubber and leather are way easier/cheaper to add after the fact. The polished center links on the AT do scratch up very easy and the first ones will look like crap but once you get a bunch it kind of all blends into a patina and it is fine. You can also get them brushed inexpensively if you want.

vintage hab and Wetworks like this.
  13. Drb477 Nov 5, 2020

Also if you feel you must, you can put a black AT on a brown leather strap. I change the strap on mine a lot. Here's bracelet, brown leather, and aftermarket rubber which is a knockoff of the newer rubber style and a couple others.

PhotoGrid_1589329713860.jpg

4011021, Megaton, wolfe44 and 2 others like this.
  14. Gruesome Nov 6, 2020

As long as you remember to wear actual pants and actual shoes once you go back to the actual office, you should be good.
    Second week: matching shoes.
    Third week: time to shave.
    The watch strap comes somewhere after that.

Pvt-Public and Foo2rama like this.
  15. 83n Nov 6, 2020

That is not true. I care and I will judge you, if your leather strap does not match your belt and shoes.

I am a bit more open for other materials but would still not wear a black rubber with brown belt/shoes.

16. Omega50 Nov 8, 2020

very useful thanks

17. amcclell Nov 8, 2020

As long as they are not Crocs or Pradas, I think you will be fine.

18. bradurani Nov 8, 2020

Straps are cheap and there hundreds of great options out there. Buy the watch with the bracelet. Scratch it. Who cares. Then buy 10 3rd party straps in 10 different colors and change it everytime you change your clothes.

wagudc likes this.
  19. 3rdstringholder Nov 8, 2020

If looks matter, it matters how you look.

20. MtnMarine Nov 8, 2020

You could also get the blue rubber bracelet until you decide on a matching brown band.