Forums Latest Members
  1. Davatar Jun 23, 2020

Hi, I recently acquired a 1960 Omega Seamaster (a friend owed me some money) that had a seriously scratched/cracked crystal; a slightly rusted second hand; and a pocked/blistered dial. Unfortunately I failed to take reference photos of the watch. On the advice of my friend, seconded by the local jeweller, I was advised to have the dial cleaned, the second hand replaced, and the crystal replaced - all of which seemed reasonable - and thus my 'new to me' watch was sent off to an expert in such matters this past February. The face/dial was cleaned, the crystal replaced, but apparently acquiring a second hand (new) is an arduous affair, and then Covid-19 closed the world down.
    I had initially hoped when I had sent the watch away that I would have it back for my sixtieth birthday in April (and possibly the watches'), but alas circumstances dictated otherwise. The reconditioned watch finally arrived a week or two ago, and I have since allowed it to proudly replace my Timex Expedition on my wrist.
    While I am generally happy with it, I find the aesthetics of the pocked/cleaned dial rather disconcerting and so I am curious if there is anything that may be done. 20200623_080159.jpg 20200605_085225.jpg 20200605_082520.jpg

Duracuir1 likes this.
  2. impalla62ss Jun 23, 2020

I think the dial looks great as it is. An original dial black Seamaster is a rarity, and that one has a lot of character. There are some people out there that would love this 'patina.' It would be a shame and pretty expensive to get this dial professionally redone. Parting with it and searching out a watch with a dial more to your taste may be the best solution. It would be nice to see a photo of the dial before you had it cleaned. Be careful though, most black dials out there are redials, if that is what you are looking for. Seek opinions from the forum to make sure the dial is original if you choose to go that route. Good luck.

Davatar likes this.
  3. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Jun 23, 2020

Clearer, hi-def photos of the dial will help with assessment. When you zoom in on the current photo, it's out of focus, hopefully not indicating what it really looks like..

Davatar likes this.
  4. wagudc Jun 23, 2020

I agree more photos are needed, but I see the watch as a package. It all goes together well as is. A redial would be a bit like a facelift on an elderly person. Their face would look better in a way, but somehow not quite natural. Then the face would not look right with the wrinkled neck. You could "fix" that but there would be something else and then you start to look like a celebrity plastic surgery disaster. My wife and I are aging together, and she is as beautiful as ever to me.

The watch is the same, embrace it for what it is. I suppose you might be able to find a correct vintage dial that is in better condition, but I think that is very unlikely in this case.

Davatar likes this.
  5. Dan S Jun 23, 2020

It's not uncommon to see damage like that to the dial coating, and it's extremely risky to take aggressive measures to improve it. Most likely, any tampering will result in a loss of value, as would refinishing the dial. If it's not appealing to you, the best approach would be to sell it and buy a watch that you would enjoy more.

Duracuir1 and Davatar like this.
  6. jdjones Jun 23, 2020

Well, I’m definitely a newbie. However, I love the black dials on a silver case, and I’ve been eyeballing eBay auctions on such watches which have been “professionally redone”. In other words, repainted black from white or silver, etc.

To my shock, one sold for $1,725 last night! Here’s a saved screenshot:

[​IMG]

I’ve been watching such redials go for $600+ to $800+ for a few weeks. Maybe a refin won’t hurt the resale value that much. I dunno.

If the watch is a keeper, my opinion is to do what you want with it.

Let us know!

rossonero3 likes this.
  7. Vanallard Jun 23, 2020

Don’t be surprised if you see this watch relisted, the most logical explanation for the absurd price is shill bidding.

8. jdjones Jun 23, 2020

^^^ It’s got to be. I was floored. He’s got another one up but it has a different serial number. Who knows if that’s legit. I’m gonna watch it with interest.

9. Ravineman Jun 23, 2020

I hope your friend didn't owe you close to $1,700

Take the watch outside in natural light and take photos that are in focus ..... then the experts here can try and advise you about what you have

Davatar likes this.
  10. Davatar Jun 24, 2020

11. Davatar Jun 24, 2020

Thank you, I believe I am becoming attached to the watch as it is.

Duracuir1 and impalla62ss like this.
  12. Davatar Jun 24, 2020

Unfortunately my tablet doesn't have the best camera, I will try to find a better device.

13. Davatar Jun 24, 2020

Thank you

14. Davatar Jun 25, 2020

Here are a couple of vaguely better photos as I attempt to track down a better camera! 20200625_070241.jpg 20200625_070213.jpg

15. Edward53 Jun 26, 2020

I like that watch. It looks nice and honest to me and I would wear it as is.

nicks, Davatar, perks713 and 2 others like this.
  16. Davatar Jun 26, 2020

Thank you to everyone for there considered comments. I am beginning to appreciate it's seasoned look as my own, LOL. How do I go about finding more info on the watch in general - when it was made, its particulars, etc?

17. bardamu Jun 26, 2020

Do you have a pic of the inside of the caseback? Reference number is the best way to get infos on your watch.

18. Davatar Jun 26, 2020

As I said before I'm searching for a better camera, but here's the case back and inside 20200605_085203.jpg 20200605_083344.jpg

19. cristos71 Jun 27, 2020

Your watch is a Seamaster ref 14704 -61 with a calibre 591 and serial in the high 17 million range, so it was produced somewhere around 1961.

rossonero3 likes this.
  20. Davatar Jun 27, 2020

Thanks