Forums Latest Members

Black Dial Pie-Pans: If you’re asking for advice, you SHOULDN’T be buying one!

1. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 25, 2021

This is a little bit of a PSA / rant as I’ve just explained this to a new member that Pmed me asking for opinions.

Authentic black dial Constellation pie pans are rare watches, there are few enough of them around in original condition to justifiably use that word, rare. They can be very aesthetically attractive if you find a mint example, but you are very unlikely to ever find a mint example trawling through eBay because they will get picked up by veterans.

Almost every single black dial pie pan Connie sitting on eBay for any period of time is a redial, even the ones that are bought quickly are typically redials. There are fake black dials as well.

A black dial pie pan is something you add to your collection after you already have several other connies, have looked at thousands of them online and know them inside and out. It’s something veterans hunt, not newcomers.

If you are asking on the forums either publicly or by Pm about black dial eBay listings, you should not be buying one because you are not yourself qualified to hunt in that particular minefield.

C-Case connies, Geneves, certain front loading cosmics and Devilles are your friend, and don’t get hung up on dial colour, they’re nearly all white or silver, but you can find a great example if you swim in the safe end of the pool.

qazwsx1, MTROIS, Noddyman and 32 others like this.
  2. Dr.Sascha Jun 25, 2021

What he said. :thumbsup:

3. topfox59 Jun 25, 2021

I thought the general consensus for newcomers/newbies/less experienced people was to ask advice and guidance?
    So by your example if someone inexperienced finds an elusive black dial PiePan it’s by default a redial/fake/not worth the effort?
    I’m assuming you would still like to know the source (just for your own confirmation of course)?
    If I do see one at the local car boot I will be sure to walk on by

Puma_135o, khangct, Stripey and 2 others like this.
  4. MtV Jun 25, 2021

Note that he’s explicitly referring to eBay listings. If you find one locally, for example, that’s a different story.

Revo, amcclell, NT931 and 2 others like this.
  5. topfox59 Jun 25, 2021

I appreciate that Matt and I more than anyone value an opinion, but sometimes…

6. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 25, 2021

If you happen to come across one that’s a barn find or something by all means, but if you’re sending people every single eBay listing and dealer stock item going “how about this one?” You need to really reconsider your approach.

noelekal, blueteg, wagudc and 6 others like this.
  7. Dr.Sascha Jun 25, 2021

The advisable course is:
    1.) Read the forums for a while
    2.) Do your own research, try to learn everything you can about whatever particular piece or watchmaker you are most interested in. There's a metric ton of information online, lots of reference dials, etc.
    3.) After doing due diligence, if you find a piece that, according to your own research, might be both genuine and at a good price, then come here for advice.

In other words, OF should be the port of call for advice on a final decision, not a free helpdesk for random, impulse purchases by folks who don't want to put in the time and effort to make informed choices. We want to help, but we also don't want to be taken for granted!

lando, TexOmega, noelekal and 7 others like this.
  8. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jun 25, 2021

Of course this is something someone would say who is looking to acquire more of them….

;)

Nathan1967 likes this.
  9. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 25, 2021

Even if you are luck enough to find a good one popping up on eBay chances are someone is going to go Ashley or even super Ashley on your butt and break your heart :(. Be prepared to spend big $.
    If you really want to pursue this both study and find yourself a willing Rōshi.

noelekal, Foo2rama and Scarecrow Boat like this.
  10. TexOmega Jun 25, 2021

This thread needs a picture

Ref. 2852 .JPG

11. Shabbaz Jun 25, 2021

Yeah

Screenshot_20201009-060656_OneDrive.jpg
    Noddyman, Risto, WatchCor and 15 others like this.
  12. Dr.Sascha Jun 25, 2021

Noddyman, Risto, WatchCor and 16 others like this.
  13. TexOmega Jun 25, 2021

I can only add one thing, wear rib pads.......my ribs are still sore from the flying elbows.::rimshot::

noelekal and wagudc like this.
  14. cineaste Jun 25, 2021

Could you educate me on black waffle Constellations though? There is not much info online ::book::

15. TexOmega Jun 25, 2021

Waffle's even more rare.....All info on Constellations pertains to the waffle dials, too. They are easier to spot as redials so pour over all the threads here at OF concerning waffles and study known originals thoroughly.

But more importantly.......have very deep pockets for a great example.

noelekal and wagudc like this.
  16. cineaste Jun 25, 2021

What do you mean? Is there a black waffle dial for all the Constellation references out there? It would be nice to know if there are more pie pan dogleg black waffle dials than earlier ones, but this is not info you can easily find. I could deduce it from the number of listings, but that is not necessarily a good metric, people tend to hoard good examples and some of them are never sold online.

17. TexOmega Jun 25, 2021

All black dials then were special order only, and waffle dials seem to show up even less.

So, I would think any Constellation could have been ordered with any black dial incarnation Omega had available for the reference.

Others can speak on dog leg vs earlier....rare either way.

Study the pictures MSNWatch has ever posted to train your eye on originals.

Edited Jun 25, 2021
    noelekal, NT931 and Olaa like this.
  18. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 25, 2021

If you search msnwatch’s photo postings for the last 10 years you will find several photo postings like this. Any more and you’ll have to do your own work. :D

upload_2021-6-25_20-56-59.jpeg

Noddyman, Risto, lando and 13 others like this.
  19. JwRosenthal Jun 25, 2021

I think the point about it being on eBay is key here- or any online auction, small auction house with an online presence…basically anything on the internet. I see many new members posting pics (but no link- for fear of claim jumpers) asking about originality. If you found it online, and it’s still there- there is a reason. Veteran collectors have constant eyes on the market and know when anything pops up.
    Even if you luckily find a new posting for a legit rarity, in the time it takes for you to look it up or ask someone else, it will be gone.
    The prize goes to those who know and have fast fingers.

noelekal, wagudc, cineaste and 3 others like this.
  20. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Jun 25, 2021

One observation - a black dial connie in 18k rose gold is as scarce as one in 18k white gold. Might be more scarce.

TexOmega, noelekal, felsby and 2 others like this.