Forums Latest Members
  1. sucker4chronos Feb 26, 2020

New to the Forum. I'm not really an experienced Omega collector, my passion has been Gallet Chrono's but recently spotted this on the bay and impulsively purchased. I'm fairly certain it's a redial. It also has been polished more than I like However it appealed to me and my understanding is the black arrow dials are fairly rare. The watch is enroute from the UK to me so I am posting the sellers photos to get an impression from the experts here on this forum. Constructive criticism is welcome.

Omega3.jpg Omega2.jpg s-l1600.jpg
  2. padders Oooo subtitles! Feb 26, 2020

Yes I agree the text suggests redial, black dialled Omega dress watches like this often are. The medallion on the back has seen better days also. There should be 8 clear stars on there. It looks nice from a. distance but you wont be getting sneaky pms from collectors would be my guess. It looks like it is long overdue a movement service so I trust you factored that in.

3. Shabbaz Feb 26, 2020

Broken crosshair...

sucker4chronos likes this.
  4. OMEGuy Feb 26, 2020

Hello and welcome! To give you any kind of serious feedback whether you did well or not, one would need to know how much you paid for this watch?

sucker4chronos and Spruce like this.
  5. sucker4chronos Feb 26, 2020

I'm embarrassed to say but I'm always up for a bit of humiliation so......$1500

6. TexOmega Feb 26, 2020

That movement will be a money pit with the water damage and heavy rotor wear. Never a good sign when multiple mangled screw heads are present.

Keep us posted so we all can learn.

7. TexOmega Feb 26, 2020

Yikes

cristos71 likes this.
  8. sucker4chronos Feb 26, 2020

Water damage? Please cue me in as to what tells you there is water damage. Ah the water spots on the rotor. Gotcha. And yes within 24hrs of my purchase I knew I'd paid the noob tax!

9. TexOmega Feb 26, 2020

Just for informational purposes, only

Cal. 505 Y1958 (Copy).JPG image_jpeg.jpg Ref. 2852 (Copy).JPG

NVWC, GregH, lindo and 2 others like this.
  10. sucker4chronos Feb 26, 2020

11. TexOmega Feb 26, 2020

always suspect water damage if you see a redial, especially "black" and it may have left the factory just the opposite of black.

if there is food on the table and you can meet mortgage, count this as "entertainment" and don't get out much for a few weeks.

12. TexOmega Feb 26, 2020

not only there(which is minor), but all the lower plate is corroded. compare colors with my example

also, look on the bright side, I think you are also a candidate for Most Over Polished Piece of SH*T. Post it in that thread too......

we've all been there, and this will serve you as a reminder.

Edited Feb 26, 2020
  13. OMEGuy Feb 26, 2020

I've got the feeling you already knew you overpaid on this when you came here?

I don't want to criticize (though you had asked for it), but it's not a good idea just to jump into the world of vintage OMEGA watches when you're driven by nothing more than an impulse. You should do some serious research and look at many, many pictures and finally, in case of doubt, ask the friendly people here, before you buy a watch.

14. TexOmega Feb 26, 2020

How deep are your pockets? No amount of money will get this back, unless YOU nab a newbie on ebay:D::rimshot::

I bet that seller ate and drank well that night.

15. sucker4chronos Feb 26, 2020

You are correct, I knew it within hours of purchasing that I had made a mistake. However hope springs eternal. It's not the first time that I have been feckless in pursuit of a watch! I'm sure many can sympathize!

16. sucker4chronos Feb 26, 2020

Oh well, I'll get it serviced and wear it with pride. LOL To the average punter it's not a bad looking watch. It's the experts who will see it for what it is. I have plenty of watches that I have bought that turned out to be crap and I wear them because I like them. I don't have tons of disposable wealth but I can pay my bills and afford mistakes like this on occasion. I seem to be bad at learning lessons when it comes to vintage watches. My watchmaker loves me though!

KingCrouchy, Shabbaz and timecube like this.
  17. TexOmega Feb 26, 2020

wrong crown, too:D

18. sucker4chronos Feb 26, 2020

Now your just piling on! ;)

TexOmega and Dan S like this.
  19. Dan S Feb 26, 2020

The OP is being a great sport about this, which is good because most of us can totally empathize with how he feels.

Try to resist putting too much more money into the watch. That’s often the first instinct, but I advise just living with it for a while before doing anything, and that will help you make the best decision.

20. timecube Feb 26, 2020

Nice watch!