Forums Latest Members
  1. Lex4TDI4Life Jan 11, 2013

After the USPS lost this in their own post office, I picked this up yesterday. Forgive the shoddy amateur photography as the pics were more for authentication than aesthetics. Looks legit to me. Does anyone feel otherwise? I know about the aftermarket lume dots. Fortunately, they aren't as prominent on the wrist as they are in pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. tomvox1 Jan 11, 2013

I feel like the lume is a little strange in terms of placement & color--in fact, I think with solid hands, this dial should probably not have any lume. I'll defer to the experts on the rest but if that's the only issue, it should be fairly easy to have a pro carefully clean that off.

One more thing: Maybe the "A" in AUTOMATIC should have bit more of a flatter top? But don't know if that's a standardized thing and printing on waffle dials is always going to be a bit more variable than on a standard surface.

Good luck,
    T.

3. Lex4TDI4Life Jan 11, 2013

Yeah, the lume is a known issue. I am wondering if it would be worth getting it removed if the rest of the watch is legit. I tried opening it up, but the packing-tape trick didn't work. Will take it to the jeweler this weekend to get a peek inside.

4. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 11, 2013

The dial may be OK and just over exposed?, but the lume is not. Getting it off may be tricky or a piece of cake.

5. Lex4TDI4Life Jan 11, 2013

Good to know. It really is in excellent condition aside from the lume dots. Case edges are sharp and the SS is brushed where it should be. Will post better pics if I decide not to return it :D

6. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 11, 2013

If someone works on the lume dots, I feel having then wet (not sure if water or Windex etc) would be better then trying to pop them dry. I would do in under a microscope and try to whittle them each down a little at a time. If the first doesn't go well you could always replace it.

7. ulackfocus Jan 11, 2013

What bothers me is the 12 - 6 crosshair runs down the spine of the E in OMEGA when it should run inside it. Also, it doesn't perfectly dissect the Ω symbol down the middle. Then the SWISS MADE is too high and too far apart (necessitated by the marker, when it should be below the 6:00 marker). The Seamaster is over inked too. I believe it's a redial, but a half decent one. Leave the lume dots and don't risk damaging the waffle pattern. It's a nice looking wearable watch.

8. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 11, 2013

Good spot . The crosshairs may have been done in 4 parts with the 12 to cannon being misaligned.

9. Lex4TDI4Life Jan 11, 2013

Such a shame. I may have to return it. While nice enough looking, I would rather spend the money on an unmolested piece.

10. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 11, 2013

Hopefully USPS don't lose it on the way back lol

11. ulackfocus Jan 11, 2013

Good answer. You're starting to think like us. Now if you'd just get over the "gambling problem" ( :p ) you'd have some serious watches. You certainly put in enough time searching to find so many in recent weeks.

12. Lex4TDI4Life Jan 11, 2013

AMEN!

I am also open to offers :)

13. Lex4TDI4Life Jan 11, 2013

Hey, considering this is my first true failure,my gambles have been positive. Definitely got trigger happy on this one, though.

14. ulackfocus Jan 11, 2013

No argument you've been blessed with luck by the Watch Gods, but the law of averages says flops will happen with so many redials and frankens out there. While not a perfect watch, this one shouldn't be considered a total failure. If I weren't as frickin' anal about originality like most of the experienced collectors, I'd were that watch. So remember to take our opinions as a little harsh because we're extremists / purists. We do it because we know that most of you newer members who hang here regularly will be just like us in the future.

15. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 11, 2013

BTW, should add. Sometimes when you bid and win one of these, there's a reason. It's because the rest of us declined to bid :D

16. Lex4TDI4Life Jan 11, 2013

Ha, no kidding! This was an early offer in a B.I.N. listing, so I thought I lucked out.

And I would never consider opinions here harsh; a little education goes a long way. Frankly, this may be the most congenial enthusiast forum I have ever encountered. Before I happened upon this forum, I was a hair's breadth away from buying a repurposed pocket watch! :oops:

17. ulackfocus Jan 11, 2013

Well, some people have accused me of being too direct. Deservedly so too.

You would have been a Wandolec victim? :eek:

Yeah, everybody here should know by now the GOOD watches last less than a half hour on the open market. ;)

18. Mothra Jan 11, 2013

the nice thing about omegas - even after you guys have already bagged one each of the GOOD watches, there'll always be more along for us newbies.:)

19. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Jan 11, 2013

It is pretty clearly a redial - wrong fonts, crosshair issues etc. Plus the lume would to me be unacceptable.