Forums Latest Members

Birth year Speedmaster -78 or -76

1. Atalien2005 Jun 11, 2016

I am in search of a birth year Speedmaster and was wondering which is seen as more correct. My birth year is 1978 and the -78 reference is labeled as such but according to MWO was produced between 1979-1982. Then we have the -76 with production run from 1976-1978/79. Which model should I be in search of? Does it depends on the Extract of the Archives?

2. abrod520 Jun 11, 2016

Your best bet is probably a late-production -76, yeah. You're also correct in that the only way to truly know when it was produced is via an Extract.

However, if you're not super crazy about exact dates, you could go with a -78 and consider the caseback number to be good enough.

WatchVaultNYC likes this.
  3. Jking something intelligent and witty... Jun 11, 2016

Sorry I can't provide insight but I'm considering s similar purchase (my by is 76) so I'm curious to see the advice you get since I'll likely go through the same search process when the time comes for my purchase. Good luck!

Atalien2005 likes this.
  4. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jun 11, 2016

As @abrod520 can attest I've got a late serial number 76 with the earlier dial. There are arguments both ways that it is a 76 or a 78 production year. As I was born in 76 that's good enough for me. I'm not ordering the extract.

The only way to truly know it's to get the extract but after sourcing the watch its a little late to find out for sure I rather be in the dark and be happy with the early dial shared with the 74.

Jking likes this.
  5. WatchVaultNYC Jun 11, 2016

I just went through this as well. Here's how I concluded it - you never really, really know when the watch was made, and if you say "when was it made", what do you mean by "made"? When the part where the serial number is came out of the mill? Is the bridge then the soul of the watch? When it was assembled? Something else? So I decided, heck for me the most "real" that it gets is by what I can see with my own eyes. In this case it's the date on the caseback.

Jking, Atalien2005, WurstEver and 2 others like this.
  6. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Jun 11, 2016

I bought a 76 because it was the year I graduated high school (no way could I afford a birth year). I was very happy until I received the extract, which had a production date of January 77. I immediately fell out of love (hell yes, I'm fickle) and sold it. Now, I wander aimlessly through the vintage landscape looking for waffle, guilloche or hobnail dials. Don't become me; pick a 78 and be happy with it.

7. Atalien2005 Jun 11, 2016

Thanks for the help gentlemen!

8. Davidt Jun 11, 2016

I'd actually go for a 76, or even a 74.

My thinking being, had my father bought a watch on the day I was born, what would he have picked up? Given that Speedmasters are often sold a year or more after they were made, a 74 might make sense.

They do come up with extracts or receipts which will help you out. M

If it's that important, wait for one with a receipt or extract.

Atalien2005 likes this.