Forums Latest Members
  1. albertob Oct 7, 2019

Gents,

I’m looking for a year-birth rolex.

I was born in 1986, considering I have a 6.5 wirsf, which model would you recommend me?

- datejust 36 mm w jubilee
    - sub

I’m more oriented in the datejust (16030), but I’m curious to hear your thoughts.

alberto

2. albertob Oct 7, 2019

Also, this will be my first rolex.

Any input will be highly appreciated!

3. oinkitt Oct 7, 2019

Its pretty simple. Work out which model "floats your boat", then set about finding one.

You shouldn't need someone to tell you what you like.

4. albertob Oct 7, 2019

Homework already done, sir.

Im just interested in hearing some inputs from current rolex owners or people who have been in my same situation.

which valuable inputs would you be able to provide?

thanks!

5. oinkitt Oct 7, 2019

Absolutely none!!!

Go out and start looking for what you have chosen.

6. ConElPueblo Oct 7, 2019

Then perhaps consider not replying..? If a subject means little to you or a thread seems superfluous it is entirely okay to just keep away.

7. oinkitt Oct 7, 2019

Thanks for your advice, but unlike the OP, I wasn't asking for it..

Please enlighten me...… what possible advice could anyone give the OP?

He/she says that he/she has done their "homework". If he/she has do so, I would presume they know what they want, it would seem to me that the only task at hand is to find what they have decided on.

8. NickC Oct 7, 2019

Bringing it back on track. I have both a Datejust on Jubilee (a 16030) and a 1680 Sub. They wear very differently and it depends on if you plan on wearing it everyday with a suit, shirt etc or if you just want to get it out every now and again.
    I can see how the Datejust is pretty much the perfect everyday watch for smart and casual wear. The Sub wears a bit more on the casual side imo and it also sits higher on the wrist if you are thinking of shirt sleeves.

As others have said, it's your decision so you have to work out what you want but they are just my thoughts.

9. Eve Oct 7, 2019

I guess you could pull off the 36mm Explorer or the 34mm AirKing. I think both look very simmilar with arabic numerals. But i would try it on first if i had a chance.
    Good luck with your hunt!

jaguar11, watch3s, Nathan1967 and 2 others like this.
  10. albertob Oct 7, 2019

Thanks a lot Nick!
    Much appreciated your answer.

Exactly, I’m looking for an everyday watch to use in each situation, from the office to free-time.
    I’m more oriented to the datejust indeed, was testing the water for the sub as it is another iconic model (and maybe keeps more the value?). But also I heard that the bracelet of the sub 4 digits is not solid as nowadays models.

Alberto

11. albertob Oct 7, 2019

I thought about the explorer, but the lack of date is a deal breaker for me. Thanks!

12. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Oct 7, 2019

Vintage Rolex by year-of-production in Burlington Arcade - London display window:

Mad Dog likes this.
  13. mutanthands Oct 7, 2019

The problem with The Vintage Watch Company in Burlington Arcade is that all their watches are ludicrously over-priced, even for a dealer. I understand they have overheads.etc, but it's pure rip-off due to the foot traffic the arcade gets.

14. Shabbaz Oct 7, 2019

I dont seem to wear my sub when I wear a suit. I just dont like it. So for sporty/casual occassions the sub, for dressy the datejust. So advice: buy them both...:D

15. Uniqez Oct 7, 2019

Did someone said explorer yet? Or even better explorer II? Have you considered these?

16. albertob Oct 7, 2019

I would love it :cool: but out of budget :unsure::unsure:

17. albertob Oct 7, 2019

the explorer I would be great but it doesn’t have the date. The explorer ii is very pricy for my pockets :unsure: this is why I reduced the search to DJ and sub.

Uniqez likes this.
  18. Uniqez Oct 7, 2019

No date, but awesome dial. I used to have this AK. But 36mm was too small for me.

1493408407689.jpg
    Donfiore, Spruce, sdre and 3 others like this.
  19. albertob Oct 7, 2019

Beautiful with Roman numerals

20. penninn Oct 7, 2019

There is a bit price gap between sub and a 36mm datejust but if it is your first watch a 36mm datejust is a real nice entry level and can scoop it up at a decent price. Just need to figure what serial is your year and keep a eye out :)

But Personally I would love a birthday year sub :)