Forums Latest Members
  1. Aquariusmatic May 21, 2020

So,

While my flightmaster project is once again on hold (pending parts) I'm left off scrolling the Bay daily for the other parts during my downtime and I have been pondering the idea of getting myself a "small" present for my 30th anniversary on this planet...
    Not a Rolex kind of guy and have sold a birth year Sub due to it sounding like a pocket full of keys...
    Being an Omega fanboy I think it would only be so fitting to mark my 30th with a watch from the same year - 1990 I've already owned s few Moons 2009 and 2016 and two SMPs the ceramic and the one before, these watches were impulse buys and we just didn't click at the moment...

IF i was to get either of these again from the 1990 what should I be looking at - a 1990 Moon or a 1990 SMP any way other than the serial to correctly date the watches? Any tell tale signs? What budget should i prepare for either of these?
    And most importantly - would you choose a different watch and if so which one? (Rollies and IWCs excluded)

Thanks

2. base615 May 21, 2020

Only serial number and that's not even particularly accurate. I believe it indicates date of movement manufacture but the watch itself could have been assembled and sold in later years.

Those earlier Omega bracelets are pretty damn rattly too BTW (I love the rattle :) but it sounds like you don't)

Aquariusmatic likes this.
  3. Aquariusmatic May 21, 2020

Dunno, this one felt really bad. I have an 844 Heuer from the same era and it felt infinitely better on my wrist with its ratt(l)y bracelet than the Sub. So a 1990 watch would "best" be dated by the warranty maybe?
    The more I've researched this question, the more questions popped up in my mind. The bond omega can be put on a newer bracelet? Moons with no Tritium on the dial are of 0 interest to me, the 2016 one i've had with the eyewateringly white hands almost looked faked to me.
    Pulling excerpts from the Archives for a watch i don't even yet own is stupid IMO...

4. base615 May 21, 2020

Oh, hang on, I just realised your birth year is 1990. Yeah, you'll have no problem with rattly bracelets then. It makes me feel sad that people born when I was leaving school are off buying luxury watches. Not long until I'm dead lol ;)

SkunkPrince likes this.
  5. padders Oooo subtitles! May 21, 2020

Well since the very earliest SMP is from 1993 I would say that narrows it down a bit.

jrv1224, Seaborg, base615 and 2 others like this.
  6. Aquariusmatic May 21, 2020

Uhhh damn, I've always thought of the "bond" watch being a 1990 start of production and never cared to do further research...

So the pre-bond 200m would be the correct one, lucky me finding a full sized automatic one will be so fun...

Well if it makes it any easier for you I'm from a country where a year of college costs around what a beat up connie costs nowdays give or take 200$ so if you're not a really lazy person doing part time or full time jobs while being in uni does offer a chance to save up a bit of cash. Flipping vintage cameras and lenses helped quite a bit too.

base615 likes this.
  7. padders Oooo subtitles! May 21, 2020

I had one, to be honest they are a little over rated, they feel like a step down in quality from the SMP and as you say the full size auto are tricky to find.

8. Aquariusmatic May 21, 2020

If i was to find a nice patinad one with the ploprof type of hands I've seen some have I'd count that as a little victory :)

9. base615 May 21, 2020

It was free for me and I still left with a shed load of debt. Good time though :D

Aquariusmatic likes this.
  10. Aquariusmatic May 21, 2020

I'm just happy I've finished it as the good times kind of gotten out of control the last two semesters ::psy::

base615 likes this.