Forums Latest Members

Big space vs little space on Tri Compax subdials

1. bgrisso Apr 13, 2017

I've noticed this before but never given it much thought. Sometimes the subdials are close, sometimes far. I prefer the look of more space between them, feels more balanced instead of the subdials mashed together with lots of room around the outside of the dial. Anyhow I'm assuming this is just a function of the movement size vs the case/dial size. But what I am wondering, is it just a completely random mix and match type situation, or are there rules, guidelines, trends, for when you expect to see more vs less space between the subdials?

I will attach a bigger space and smaller space example (pulled these from the web for education purposes, no offense intended to copyright holder)

tri far.jpg ]

tri close.jpg

2. bgrisso Apr 13, 2017

After a quick look through Sala on my way out the door, it appears the small spaced are mostly 481 movements, sometimes 283. Big space are usually 285 and 287. For later tri's, I'm seeing both big and small spaced versions with 281, not sure exactly how that works. Will need to look study more carefully.
    Anyhow other input still welcome.

3. MaiLollo Apr 13, 2017

Do any of you have a site/ thread that explains where the value is at for vintage UG chronos (especially tri/aero compaxes?) for noobs ?
    I'm scratching the surface knowledge-wise and honestly I'm a bit lost since value-wise they're across the board. I've understood redials are a big no-no :)

4. ELV web Apr 13, 2017

It is the size I believe, 481 and 283 are usually found in smaller watches (35mm or less) 285 and 287 in bigger watches (>35mm). 281 being the smallest if I am not wrong the last digit in the caliber denotes size, can check ranfft
    http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?10&ranfft&&2uswk

281 is a replacement of 481, u do sometime get bigger cases in 281 and 481 because the movement has spacers to fill the GAP vs. the case on the outer rim.

Bigger space between subdials are of course found in bigger caliber watches.

(Edited to make it more clear)

Edited Apr 13, 2017
  5. jordn Wants to be called Frank for some odd reason Apr 13, 2017

Unlike more mainstream vintage brands (Rolex, Omega, Patek, etc.) prices for UG's are all over the place. Who, what, and where all play a huge factor in the asking and final prices. With some diligence and vigilance, there are still great examples to be had on ebay and other secondary markets for 3-5k or 5-7k range depending on the watch. Looking at prices achieved by auction houses will surely scare anyone off

6. jordn Wants to be called Frank for some odd reason Apr 13, 2017

Here is the size bfeakdown of the calibers:
    2FCD72A7-C020-4BCA-8288-0F08ECC74BDD.JPG

281 is the base caliber with which the 481 was created

Yes, sometimes smaller calibers were used on bigger dials, making the registers appear to be closer together.

7. MaiLollo Apr 13, 2017

Yeah, I'm going to scan the forum a bit and try to clear things in my head ;)

8. ELV web Apr 13, 2017

Thanks @jordn