Forums Latest Members
  1. OMTOM Sep 25, 2020

OLD, very old! Antique, vintage, ancienne, historisch, uralt (sogar uhralt ?!)

The only connections between these two are that they are both Omega, both old, both big, both 8-day movements, both mounted in brass – and I like them both!

In detail:
    On the left a 30’’’ car clock from 1908, Ref.120.30. There has even been a suggestion that these were used in Zeppelins.

On the right a 59-8D from 1940, supplied to the British Admiralty (through Story Barrow, which is marked on the dial) and fitted on ships of the Royal Navy. Mounted on the bridge and secured under lock and key!

Although a generation apart, separated by over 30 years, each movement provided Omega with great service for more than 20 years. The movements dated originally from 1894 and 1926 respectively, in each case used in all sorts of different watches/clocks.

If you’re into big olds, enjoy!

Display.jpg

2. aap Sep 25, 2020

At first, I thought you were referring to:

[​IMG]

mac_omega, DaveK and OMTOM like this.
  3. OMTOM Sep 25, 2020

Yes, that’s what I was referring to (sorry about the spelling mistake).

In this case, a special ‘bandeau’ was provided – with round and square cusps. The purchaser had to state not only the size but also whether they wanted round/square or square/round. Thus a typical order to suit my image would have been 34D/R/S.

As for Omega’s filling for the girdle set, that will be subject of a future thread.

DaveK and aap like this.
  4. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Sep 25, 2020

Very nice! And they were well adapted to the modern wood base.

5. Mark020 not the sharpest pencil in the ΩF drawer Sep 25, 2020

Very nice!

6. OMTOM Sep 25, 2020

Strangely Tony you couldn’t be more wrong! I add this only because of your comment. The wooden base is actually a very old piece of oak which I rescued from an earlier Omega 30’’’! But that was even an even bigger watch, a 30/60’’’ dating 1902.

I have an interest in the old Omega ‘Goliaths’ – one of which was the 30’’’ (as shown in the car watch shown on the left in my original post). These came in three sizes (using the same 30’’’ movement): the 30’’’, 30/40’’’ and the 30/60’’’. The last of these is of course huge: the movement including surround is 122mm, the case diameter is 137mm – and when placed in a silver-fronted stand it measures about 200 x 180mm.

Some years ago, I saw the following in an auction:
    “An Edwardian large silver plated Goliath pocket watch, by Andrew Barrett & Sons of Piccadilly London, the white enamelled dial painted with black Roman numerals, with subsidiary seconds hand, held within an oak and silver framed case by Andrew Barrett & Sons, London 1902, watch 13.5cm diameter, case 17.5cmW x 18.5cmH
    This was given as a present from Vice-Admiral Sir Edward Heaton-Ellis to his wife Gertrude in 1903.”
    a Auction.jpg

I bought the watch – and then set about having the stand restored to its original form. The silver front was hallmarked and original (complete with a special engraving) but the stand had presumably fallen apart and everything had been re-mounted – on my piece of wood.
    b Wood original more.jpg
    c DSCF0466a.jpg
    The watch (in its restored stand) is wonderful and has quite a provenance. But that’s a story for another day – or I’ll be hijacking my own thread!
    There’s a story behind every story. You see that even my piece of wood has provenance.

Marsimaxam and DaveK like this.
  7. Marsimaxam Sep 25, 2020

Someone mind is not on watches and clocks today, and that's understandable considering men think about sex every 7 seconds (urban myth as it is actually closer to 7-9 times per day, but, you could be the exception)
    The plural of bra is "bras"... that was the first clue.

Very nice old brass clocks...

Source:https://www.menshealth.com/sex-women/a28483383/how-often-think-about-sex/

aap likes this.
  8. aap Sep 25, 2020

:D

9. Nitrodog Sep 27, 2020

Both of those are truly fantastic. Thank you for sharing