Forums Latest Members

Beware: Vintage Omega Speedmaster 105.012-66 # 24956XXX from Peru on ebay

1. Escargot Man, look at that S car go! Aug 13, 2014

I wonder if all the vintage 60's Speedmaster have all ended up in Peru for some reason. For anyone who may be tempted to bid on this item, please read on first...

Peruvian seller with single digit feedback engages me on a discussion outside of the auction site when I asked for additional pics and details. We agree on a price and the seller invoices me via Paypal. I pay the invoice, and 2 days later, seller tells me that my funds except for a couple hundred dollars are on hold. Seller refunds me what's on hold, and asks me to pay the balance of what I owe via a couple of Paypal invoices with smaller amounts. Now satisfied, the selller ships via registered mail, not EMS, and provides me with a valid tracking #. A week later, seller complains again that my funds except for a couple hundred dollars are still on hold, refunds me what's on hold and asks me to pay the balance owed. Since I would be receiving his package in the next several days, I told the seller that I would make alternate arrangements for final payment once I'd received his package.

This morning, I noticed that the seller has relisted the item on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=171418835357&ssPageName=ADME:SS:SS:US:3160Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Needless to say, I'm now expecting to receive Paddington Bear's evil cousin's pet rock in the package I'm about to receive...

2. initialjh Aug 13, 2014

thanks for the heads up and sorry to hear re: your experience.

I found asking this forum before you buy or bid is a good idea...

this 321 has had parts replaced, etc... nothing wrong with that but buyer beware... some are happy with replaced parts whilst others want absolute original.

3. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Aug 13, 2014

...and that's why PayPal puts hold on low-feedback sellers' accounts. Call PayPal and alert them - they can hold the money until you confirm receipt of what you ordered by leaving feedback.

4. JohnSteed Aug 14, 2014

As of now, seems this listing (171418835357) has been removed, or this item is not available on ebay

5. Escargot Man, look at that S car go! Aug 20, 2014

It appears that the posting was removed and the seller is no longer a registered user. Maybe he got kicked off.

I did get something in the mail, but it wasn't a watch, not even a pet rock. Taking it up with Paypal.

6. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Aug 20, 2014

that is around for the last 12 months...... kind regards. achim

7. Escargot Man, look at that S car go! Aug 22, 2014

Harry, that would be an awesome deal if you do get the watch.

Does anyone know how this Peruvian Speedmaster scam works? If I win my dispute, and the seller is forced to refund my money, how does the scam artist come out ahead?

It looks like another of Paddington Bear's evil cousin may be trying his hand at the trade, item 271581583568. Peruvian seller with 1 feedback listing a Speedmaster 105.003 with no movement pics. A message has been added saying to contact the seller for additional pics, and assures that sale is guaranteed. Can we believe him? http://www.ebay.com/itm/271581583568?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1426.l2649Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

8. bill5959 Aug 22, 2014

This thing is already over 1500 bucks::screwloose::

9. pitpro Likes the game. Aug 22, 2014

Is Paypal still holding money?
    what did you receive in mail if not watch?

10. Psych Aug 22, 2014

Do we know for sure that the latest Peruvian Speedmaster (the 105.003) must also be a scam? For those of us new to ebay, it would be great to have some tips on the symptoms and signs that potentially suggest that this might not be an honest transaction. Thanks.

11. Escargot Man, look at that S car go! Aug 22, 2014

What's insidious about these Peruvian scams is that I suspect that at least some of these scammers actually have the watch in question. I had requested one seller to provide me pics of the watch he was selling with his email address written on a piece of paper and the watch set to a specific time, and he quickly obliged. He even voluntarily provided me a pic of the Extract. So, in my short experience, it appears that what distinguishes these Peruvian scammers is that they're using real watches in their possession as bait. So the ways I know to avoid this scam are: 1) if it's too good to be true, it probably is (the Peruvian scammers that I've communicated with all appear to be overly-eager to make a deal and have you pay up, that is your first clue), and 2) as many seasoned watch collectors have said over and over again: buy the seller, not the watch.

12. Escargot Man, look at that S car go! Aug 22, 2014

Uh oh, I wonder if the 105.003 with no movement pic has landed its first victim...

JohnSteed likes this.
  13. mac_omega Aug 23, 2014

I think you meant buy the seller... right?

14. Psych Aug 23, 2014

I contacted the seller of the 105.003 to ask for movement pictures. He responded immediately with a request for my email address and sent me some beautiful high quality images of the dial and movement. I feel a bit disappointed that he didn't try to engage me in an off-ebay transaction.... Anyway, ebay then emailed to say that the sale had been cancelled.

Does this mean that the only watches from Peru that one should touch are those that turn up at London rail stations with "Please look after this watch" labels attached to their tiny duffle coats?

15. Escargot Man, look at that S car go! Aug 24, 2014

Hmm, musta thrown my seller out with the bathwater...Here you go.

16. Escargot Man, look at that S car go! Aug 24, 2014

It may not be over yet... I think these Peruvian scammers have the whole workflow down pat. I also had an auction get canceled after I'd asked for additional pics, and I'd thought that would be the end of that. But a couple of days later, the seller contacted me, saying that the original seller he'd lined up had backed out, complained that it was a total waste of his time but now he wanted to make a deal with me. We agreed on a price, and when I asked for references, he showed me a screen capture of feedback from several years ago from what what the seller explained was an older eBay account that he no longer uses. When I waffled, he tried to sweeten the pot by telling me that he'd accept 1/2 payment up front and the other 1/2 when I receive the item.

I know that there are legit sellers out of Peru and other parts of South America because I've bought from them. But they aren't those who joined eBay a couple of weeks before their auction, buy worthless items to try to bolster their non-existent feedback count, and then try to work out a tempting deal with you outside of eBay and has a reason and excuse for every concern you have.

Psych likes this.
  17. Escargot Man, look at that S car go! Aug 26, 2014

Looks like the same 105.003 is back on the market, trolling for its next victim... Ironically, the seller has added a note asking for 'only serious buyers'. Wonder if the same could be asked of the seller.

18. Habitant Aug 26, 2014

"Maybe he got kicked off." Such a decisive action on the part of eBay would be surprising, in my experience.

19. bill5959 Aug 26, 2014

I am seriously interested….. in finding how this plays out.

Fly with me, float down to Peru
    In llama land there's a one-man band
    And he'll toot his flute for you
    Fly with me, we'll take off in the blue

The Chairman by Sammy Cahn

20. Escargot Man, look at that S car go! Aug 28, 2014