Forums Latest Members

Best Value All Swiss Watch?

1. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Jul 17, 2015

Ok, the real title should be, "what is the cheapest Swiss watch that doesn't source parts or labor outside Switzerland?
    The topic came up in discussion about Hamilton, and how some components are sourced in Asia. If I'm not mistaken Omega (did?does?) but I can't cite a reliable source.
    I'm hoping to avoid judgement and politics here, but someone may find it necessary to include such commentary. I'm really just curious to know the least expensive watches whose entire origin (parts and labor) is completely Swiss?

2. wsfarrell Jul 17, 2015

Epos makes some very nice, reasonably priced watches, in Switzerland I believe.

[​IMG]

3. ulackfocus Jul 17, 2015

Unless it carries the Geneva Seal, it has parts sourced from China. That would make either Vacheron Constantin or Audemars Piguet the best value.

The definition of "Swiss Made" is worded so that more than 50% of the value of the watch is from Switzerland. They can source all the parts cheap from China, or Vietnam, or where ever - and then assemble them in Switzerland, paying Swiss wages, that push the value over 50% of the final price. Hell, two or three hours of basic wages in Europe can account for a half dozen or more watches worth of parts from China.

4. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 17, 2015

Brings you back to the whole degrees of in-house debate which is a mess, but used market, something with a Calibre 601 or Longines equivalent from the 50s is as good as you can get.

In today's market if you want something all German, not Swiss, Nomos is where its at, you'll be extremely hard pressed to outdo them at their price point, and the Germans can't be ignored, even Dufour owns and wears a Lange Datograph.

5. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Jul 17, 2015

I would think Rolex is 100% Swiss parts and labor, no? Or are you suggesting Rolex offers no value? ;)
    I really was trying to find a nice way to say "cheap," and compared to AP/VC, Rolex would be cheaper...

True, I wasn't clear about my curiosity with all-Swiss CONTEMPORARY watches.
    I like Nomos a lot but I want the central seconds model...still waiting...
    And yes, I saw the video where M. Dufours remarked that the Lange Datograph was the finest of the mass-produced watches (and he really seems to hate Patek Philippe without saying as much!)...

6. SeanO Jul 18, 2015

Is Ollech and Waj all Swiss?

7. ulackfocus Jul 18, 2015

I think they still outsource for some parts. If a watch could qualify for the Geneva Seal, you better believe they'd put it on their movements.

Geo! likes this.
  8. davidswiss Jul 18, 2015

I read somewhere, I think on a Rolex blurb, that Rolex were bringing more of the manufacture back to Switzerland as they wanted to be more in control of the quality but also I suspect because more people are learning about the 51% rule and becoming disillusioned about paying a lot of money for something made in China.
    I don't know where Omega stand in this but believe most if not all is "made in Switzerland". Am I correct ?

9. ulackfocus Jul 18, 2015

No, they have parts made in China too. I remember reading that ETA has a factory in China, and ETA is part of Swatch Group and makes the parts for most, if not all, of the brands under Swatch Group's banner. Again, if the whole watch was made entirely in Switzerland, they'd be SCREAMING it from the top of every advertising mountain they could.

BartH and watchme like this.
  10. Canuck Jul 18, 2015

How about this!

TexasKevin likes this.
  11. ulackfocus Jul 18, 2015

That's assembly - where were those screws, wheels, and plates actually manufactured? (answer: Asia)

12. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Jul 18, 2015

Oh how I love my 30T2, 12.68Z, 283, 1892, 999B....... made where it says on the movement.... be it Swiss or American

13. BartH Follows a pattern of overpaying Jul 18, 2015

For a Geneve Seal it'd require more stringent finishing than currently provided by Rolex

14. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Jul 18, 2015

And the lack of finish is what makes a Rolex a Rolex ;)
    I actually like Rolex a lot, even if they're made up of non-Swiss parts. Although, that is news to me.
    Maybe I should post that on the "What Did You Learn" thread?

Edited Jul 18, 2015
  15. chunkythebulldog Jul 19, 2015

Do all AP's have the Geneva Seal as I have an AP ROO and can't see anything in paperwork to say it has?

16. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 19, 2015

I love Rolex watches too, I just don't like the company or some of the people that own them. The SS Daytona is one of my favourite watches to wear but also carries the biggest stigma (well maybe next to a TT Submariner).

italy1861 likes this.
  17. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Jul 19, 2015

Rolex, Omega, Cascio, whatever...

I don't care who makes it or who else wears it... More jerks don't wear Rolex than do.

As long as I like it, that is what matters!

Dedalus, BartH and davidswiss like this.
  18. Fer Seamaster Jul 19, 2015

I wear the waches I like, with no regard to its social image or the "status" you are suposed to have when wearing that.

I enjoy the same a vintage Omega, a cheap Seiko tool and any Rolex.

19. Canuck Jul 19, 2015

Is there really a stigma to wearing a Rolex Daytona? Actually, I don't really care! I love mine! image.jpg

Nobel Prize likes this.
  20. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Jul 19, 2015

That's a beauty. Who cares if the dial was produced in Portugal? Or the hands and the Oyster bracelet from Rolex in Japan?
    ;)