Forums Latest Members

best tool for removing/replacing straps?

1. GordonL Jun 16, 2017

I was wondering what tool you guys would recommend for this? I'm only talking about normal leather etc straps, not special metal bracelets or anything like that. On ebay I can see they range from cheap/unbranded (~£2) to more expensive (eg Bergeon at ~£12 or so).

Despite being Scottish (!), my normal inclination is to pay for the top brand item (on the basis that you normally get what you pay for) but I wondered what you guys use? Do the cheap ones just fall apart or (worse) potentially damage your watch?

2. Omeg@007 BLACK & ORANGE rule!!! Jun 16, 2017

I have ordered this from eBay:

Bergeon 7825 Spring Bar Tweezer Lug Remover

Although it is expensive, but worth it for your Genuine Watch ;)

3. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jun 16, 2017

Regular spring bar tool is all you need.

Cheers, Al

Larry S and GuiltyBoomerang like this.
  4. rcs914 Jun 16, 2017

I think the Bergeon tweezers are overkill for most, especially if dealing with straps. The standard Bergeon 6767-F is what I have, and it works like a dream. I have a knockoff Bergeon tool too and it doesn't work well at all. The devil is in the details they say, and the authentic Bergeon tips are where the magic is.

5. GordonL Jun 16, 2017

Thanks. The bergeon 6767-F was the one I was looking at. I'll get myself one.

6. gee_cee Jun 17, 2017

I keep meaning to pick up one of those Bergeon 7825's as they're meant to be excellent, but I really find it hard to justify the price. I'm fairly sure there are two tip size options, so worth double-checking if you're considering that one - the extra-fine tip is needed for Rolex models because of the tiny apertures on the end-links of many of the sports models.

7. GuiltyBoomerang Jun 17, 2017

If you can get some bamboo skewers, then cut the tip off and sand it smooth, you can get a nice flat bit to press springbars out to change straps as well (and due to it being wood the chances of scratching the case are less.) Tip comes courtest of @JimInOz :)

patrick1616 likes this.
  8. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jun 17, 2017

Only for putting back in, I don't think you could remove springbars that way, I just use a normal springbar tool or one I made from an old screwdriver.

9. GuiltyBoomerang Jun 17, 2017

Point noted :eek:

Yes, normal tools will do the job OP :)

10. EatMan Jun 18, 2017

+1. Standard Bergeon 6767-F. Started my strap changing journey with a cheap Chinese knockoff. While it works ok, it fell apart after awhile. Also the quality is not there. Sure you can swap straps with the knockoff, but not as smooth and easy as Bergeon. I put one too many scratches around the lugs in my Omegas and Rolex using the cheap. Don't make my mistake and end up devaluing your watch with dumb scratches. Get the legit tool for your premium watch.

Dumb to save $15 to risk damaging your $10000 toy.

11. Alan_C Jun 18, 2017

I bought a Bergeon 6767S to do mine. Unfortunately after it arrives I realised tgat the 3mm fork was far too big, so I had to order the 1mm fork. Now it works perfectly.

It's a solid quality piece of kit. Buy cheap....buy twice.

12. base615 Jun 18, 2017

Bergeon 6767-F is the best for me.

That said, I once used a butter knife when I broke a spring bar when I had lent my spring bar tool to a mate so I would think twice before taking my advice :whistling:

13. EatMan Jun 18, 2017

+1. Standard Bergeon 6767-F. Started my strap changing journey with a cheap Chinese knockoff. While it works ok, it fell apart after awhile. Also the quality is not there. Sure you can swap straps with the knockoff, but not as smooth and easy as Bergeon. I put one too many scratches around the lugs in my Omegas and Rolex using the cheap. Don't make my mistake and end up devaluing your watch with dumb scratches. Get the legit tool for your premium watch.

Dumb to save $15 to risk damaging your $10000 toy.