Best time to buy a Speedmaster 3861 in UK (I have a year)

Hi all. It is my 50th birthday in a years time (Sept 2022) and the awesome wife mentioned about maybe getting a watch. Many hours of research later and I really like the new 3861 Speedmasters. Not fully decided on Hesalite or Sapphire yet - mainly due to price, which brings me to my question. What is the best time to buy in the UK for a discount?

I guess there are usually Black Friday deals?
Am I right in saying that August is when Omega increase prices?

From looking at this site, I got the impression that 15-25% discount was achievable on the old Speedmaster before the new one came out. Discounts more limited on the 3861 as it is new/in demand.

This will be my first mechanical watch so I don’t have any relationship with an AD.

If I could get the £6120 Sapphire sandwich at £5000 (about 19% off) then I am sure I could get that past financial control. Am I been unrealistic?

Thanks for your input.
Richard

Like 1
I am a long time watch buyer and i never bought a new watch..Omega watches are made for a long period of time ( the modern ones looks very nice after decades ) and i think if it's a "present" for yourself you can try to buy a "used" one in "like new condition"...at half of the price.
Anyway it's only my opinion..some people prefer to be "New"..:)..

Now they go up usually twice a year… maybe October and April

I am a long time watch buyer and i never bought a new watch..Omega watches are made for a long period of time ( the modern ones looks very nice after decades ) and i think if it's a "present" for yourself you can try to buy a "used" one in "like new condition"...at half of the price.
Anyway it's only my opinion..some people prefer to be "New"..:)..

You don’t get a Speedmaster for half price, maybe other models but not Speedmasters …..

Hi.

I had liked the Speedmaster Professional from years ago. . had a couple of opportunities to buy but didn't . . I waited and watched the retail price go up and the achievable discounts come down!

I would suggest popping into a few of your local Authorised Dealers a number of times. See if you can build up a rapport with any of them. You will get an idea of who you want to deal with, and achievable discount, and that may sway you.

Contrary to other reports on here, purchasing at my local AD earlier this year I got less than 10% discount. But it was during lockdown and I wanted the discontinued 1861 Hesalite from a local source. (I walked home with it!) I returned to the AD after lockdown and talked about the 3861 model and even as a returning customer the same % discount applied - although I could get an extra strap and clasp worth £445 thrown in.

Let us know how you get on.

On the wrist today:
IMG_8096.jpg

Thanks for the replies guys. Have considered used but not many about and 3861 Sapphire Sandwich seems to be going for about £5350 which is about 12% off. Think I would want a lot more than that off a second hand one. Can get 10% off a new one at burrells.co.uk if sign up for newsletter.

Great Photo - it really does look great on a black strap :cool:

Thanks for the replies guys. Have considered used but not many about and 3861 Sapphire Sandwich seems to be going for about £5350 which is about 12% off. Think I would want a lot more than that off a second hand one. Can get 10% off a new one at burrells.co.uk if sign up for newsletter.

Great Photo - it really does look great on a black strap :cool:

Thanks! It is a custom made in Horween Derby leather to work with the 16mm omega clasp.

Unfortunately, I don't think that the 10% discount code will apply to the Omega Moonwatch - I looked through similar options when I purchased the 1861 but these discounts didn't apply. :(

Tuesday on a week preceding a Wednesday that was a holiday except in months that end on an odd number with a double full moon.

in all honestly I’d go for a 50 year old watch a 145.022-71 made in either 71 or 72 as appropriate. You will pay less and have something that looks better and is more special.

To go back to the original question about 'the best time to buy this year', I'd say the best time is right now. Not because the price will be much better than it will be further down the line (although I doubt it will become much cheaper, if at all), but rather as the enjoyment can already start today.

In short; your investment is likely remaining the same, your return comes sooner, what more would you want? ;)

Best time?!

1- NOW: if you can afford it, simply enjoy life - YOLO!!
2- PRIOR to the next price increase
3- ON the exact day of your 50th birthday so that you can have that special date written on the warranty card…
4-… go right back to #1!!! :whistling:

Like 3