Forums Latest Members
  1. htiek Oct 12, 2017

Hi all

I am going to sell my speedmaster reduced to make room in my collection. I was wondering if anyone had some suggestions for best insured and reliable shipping service to use ie DHL, FedEx, UPS etc. I'm located in Canada.

2. Just Livin Oct 12, 2017

I use FedEx and cover the item on a separate home insurance policy that offers that watches and jewelry.
    Others here speak very highly of ParcelPro.
    https://www.parcelpro.com
    You would need to speak to their customer support team and explain your requirements.
    All the best of luck.

3. CajunTiger Cajuns and Gators can't read newspapers! Oct 12, 2017

Parcel Pro is the only option IMO.
    FedEx is not an option unless you dont want the package insured. Watches and Jewelry are exempt from coverage (or are limited to a very low amount). I think this is also the case with most carriers, read the fine print.

Keep in mind that Parcel Pro is not a carrier. They offer insurance and logistics. You use Parcel Pro and then select a carrier (either FedEx or UPS) to handle the actual shipping. Its all done thru ParcelPro...so its a seamless transaction and the rates are significantly lower than if you used FedEx directly.

But if you use FedEx directly you will have two issues:
    1- The insurance rate is outrageous.
    2- If the package is lost or damaged- your claim will be limited to about $1000

4. demollo Oct 12, 2017

I second Fedex/UPS + Parcel Pro insurance.

frazierspa and htiek like this.
  5. gvids Oct 12, 2017

This is very useful..insurance charges from FedEx directly are outrageous!

6. jakeh417 Oct 12, 2017

I tried search their site, but is there an estimator on cost or do you have to have an account to do that or call?

In case you cannot without having to call them, anyone know the average cost Parcel Pro charges to ship and insure about $5000 West coast to East coast of the US?

7. CajunTiger Cajuns and Gators can't read newspapers! Oct 12, 2017

There is an estimator, but im sure you must have an account to use it.

But, I can assure you its the cheapest way too insure high value items. But note that they must be shipped overnight.
    They dont cover ground shipments...and you dont want to ship an expensive item ground anyway. It increases the chances of a loss.

its typically between $50 to $100

8. jakeh417 Oct 12, 2017

Is that just the insurance or insurance + shipping? Because if that's both, it's way cheaper than I thought, especially for overnight.

9. panaitchrono Oct 12, 2017

I'm from Europe and use DHL. In Europe the delivery time it's next day. I sent three times and all arrives very fast and good tracking.

10. CajunTiger Cajuns and Gators can't read newspapers! Oct 12, 2017

DHL service in the US sucks...but I would advise you read the fine print. My guess is they have the exact same limitations on jewelry as the rest of the industry.

11. CajunTiger Cajuns and Gators can't read newspapers! Oct 12, 2017

both

12. gvids Oct 14, 2017

Just to clarify, to use Parcel Pro, do you need to have a business? Or can individuals (such as myself) use it?

Cheers.

13. Deafboy His Holiness Puer Surdus Oct 14, 2017

My understanding that Registered post is a very secure method of shipping an item. Parcels are manually handled and everyone who handles the parcel has to sign for it. Used for mailing documents labelled secret or top secret. I've sent a watch from the USA to Thailand this way.

14. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 14, 2017

In Canada (where the OP is), the only thing that can be sent via registered mail are documents in envelopes - there is no service of this type for packages. However, packages that originate in another country and are sent by registered mail are treated as registered mail here.

Cheers, Al

15. abrod520 Oct 14, 2017

Individuals can use it, call their customer service number.

16. gvids Oct 14, 2017

Will do thanks!

17. gvids Oct 14, 2017

Thanks for the input Archer, any other service for Canadians that you would recommend for shipping ?

18. Shailor Oct 14, 2017

I sent something through UPS and had it insured for $5,000. Total cost to ship was $214.00. Four day ground.

19. abrod520 Oct 14, 2017

If something had happened, you might not have been covered if it was a watch. Most of the major shipping companies have specific language excluding watches and jewelry from their insurance programs.

With ParcelPro the only options are overnight or 2nd day air, but the prices are way lower - a 2-day shipment across the US insured for $5000 would cost around $40 or $50 with ParcelPro...

20. Deafboy His Holiness Puer Surdus Oct 14, 2017

I did send the watch in a padded envelope with the watch wrapped in extra padding. My response was about the registered shipment being a secure method.