Forums Latest Members
  1. Stretch Aug 21, 2012

Hey everyone. Just wondering if anyone could recommend some good sites to have a look at for vintage omegas. I've come to the conclusion that eBay is so rediculously flooded with fakes, frankens, overpriced and questionable watches that I,m better off buying from a trusted seller who's watches will at least be serviced and genuine rather than putting up with the risks associated with buying off eBay. Anyone had good experiences with sellers worth noting?

2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 21, 2012

Do you know what specifically you're looking for? Might be worth asking around here, there are a few dealers that are decent on this site and a few collectors that may be willing to let a good piece go

3. ulackfocus Aug 21, 2012

Ed Faber from Faber's Gallery in NY has some really nice watches, vintage and modern from lots of brands. He ain't cheap but he has top notch stuff. It's more fun to go in person if you can.

So what are you looking for?

4. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Aug 21, 2012

Best place is still ebay if you have the knowledge.

hoipolloi likes this.
  5. Stretch Aug 21, 2012

Preferably seamasters for under $500.

6. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Aug 22, 2012

7. Stretch Aug 22, 2012

This seller is not taking bids from aussies!

8. Stretch Aug 22, 2012

9. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Aug 22, 2012

Either the dial or crystal seems in bad shape.

In Australia good (but expensive) places are The Watch Gallery, Armidale Watch Gallerty and Watch Time all in melb. With watch gallery make sure you ask about dials, as they aren't focused on collectors they often replace dials with new , but genuine omega, dials. If you want vintage that may be an issue for you. Also in melb is a lace on Elizabeth st opposite the Gpo but don't know us name.

In Brisbane there is Brisbane vintage watches. In syd, kalmar antiques in qvb is good and expensove

But eBay remains cheapest if you do your research

10. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 22, 2012

Other then a very few select dealers like the one Dennis (ULF) mentioned above, the non eBay dealers for the most part are just as likely to be selling refinished and sometimes frankens as eBay. In fact, sometime they are also the eBay dealers as well. If you buy exclusively from a few trusted non eBay dealers expect to pay a 20-30 premium. Remember with Vintage dealers, vintage collectors are not necessarily their primary customers. A good many people want a watch that looks and runs well and looks vintage. These folks are not fussed about details like correct or original parts. The only real defense is to arm yourself with knowledge and to vet all piece with folks you trust, like here.

11. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Aug 22, 2012

Ebay spoils you sometimes - you get very nice pieces for less than what they are worth because the seller does not represent the watch correctly and/or takes poor pictures. Again, this is where knowledge comes in since it will enable you to discern these "gems." Dealers are much more likely to over describe their watch using very flowery and sometimes downright deceiving language. Dealers are also more likely to refurbish the watch to the point that the serious vintage omega collector is turned off. And I think the premium charged by these dealers in exchange for sometimes degrading the value of the watch (overpolishing the case, refinishing the dial etc) can be as much as 100% over the fair market value as dictated by an ebay auction.
    Outside of ebay the best source is a good network of watch friends - expect to pay a small premium over ebay in this case but in exchange you get an honest piece with the security of a no questions asked return policy.

MKelley likes this.
  12. Stretch Aug 22, 2012

Some excellent replies and advice here. I have actually posted a thread on the wanted to buy forum and will hopefully come across some wanting to sell there. I personally am attracted to the watches I see on eBay that show signs of wear as I really like the idea of finding a watch that has been completely untouched other than a service maybe. I would prefer to buy something that is completely original. The idea that a watch has a long history attached to it without being tampered with and has stood the test of time is where I find the appeal to finding and hopefully collecting (if the wife allows)old watches! I don't li,e the fact that certain watches are way overpriced due to a certain hypes being attached to them. There are probably thousands of watches that would have been capable of flying to the moon without now costing 10x the original value. And that's why omegas appeal to me. High end in quality and style and reasonably priced.

13. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Aug 22, 2012

Couple of nasty dents in the caseback. Not a fan of this watch as collectible item. Could be a good "beater" if you get it cheap (under $200).

Not sure how much work you'd need to do to it,
    gatorcpa