Forums Latest Members

Best packing and shipping practices?

1. danbl68 Jan 10, 2020

I can't even imagine! that sucks and thanks for sharing because I have a bad habit of not checking as well and jsut sign then they hand it over

DaveK likes this.
  2. Dms5150 Feb 19, 2020

Has anyone found a watch online only to find out they don't ship to your country, then found a company to act as a go-between to purchase and deliver the watch? eg Chronext or other? In my case, there are not many 60's Heuers down here in Australia, so you end up looking at Europe and the UK, but as you guys have mentioned there's nervousness about sending long distance.

There may just be a gap in the market for a Parcel Pro oriented pick up and deliver service to take the guess work away from smaller sellers who don't want to deal with customs etc.

3. danbl68 Feb 24, 2020

I definitely agree with most members here; I ship with double boxes, extra bubble wrap and sometimes with the Air Bags, and make sure everything is really tight in the box so that they can't shake it and move, and use the anti-deterrant tape on all seams; if using the boxes with adhesive, also tape that flap.

4. Amg786s Apr 12, 2020

That's a great idea. Both practical and as a gesture.

Mark020, DaveK and Dan S like this.
  5. Amg786s Apr 12, 2020

Like most, double box, polyestyrene chips and good old fashioned scrunched up newspapers for extra cushioning

6. cowboyjack Apr 22, 2020

Double box almost anything of value I ship. AND label both boxes with address.

7. imageWIS May 7, 2020

The Parcel Pro instructions on the first page are very sage advice. As is using a membrane box, flanked by tightly-fitting bubble wrap or shipping paper.

8. Ted1858 May 7, 2020

Agreed. I put the watch in a small bubble-wrap bag, and then tape it to the inside of a small box. That small box then went into a "small" fedex box with newspaper. Finally, the small box went into a medium Fedex box which contained the shipping information attached to the outside...and this box was taped on the flaps. Maybe it was overkill but I felt a lot better about my odds of something happening.

+1 for Parcel Pro by the way for Intl shipment. Better rates than I could get otherwise with Fedex.

felsby, Medinatalzahra and imageWIS like this.
  9. imageWIS May 7, 2020

It's not overkill at all, I think that's the right way to ship a watch. Additionally, it's not only the shipping rates which are better with Parcel Pro, so are the insurance rates.

10. alikara May 18, 2020

Double box and make sure signature required upon delivery. Don't ship over the weekend.

11. cowboyjack Jun 18, 2020

Now, why didn’t I think of that? I’m going to start videoing while I pack up my watches. What a great idea! Thanks!

12. eldiano84 Jul 20, 2020

You know, as an ebay seller and decades of practice, the best way to ship anything nowdays is just to bubble wrap whatever your sending, then fill the rest of the space with packaging paper, if the box is big, cut it or modify it, cubic inches matter in terms of shipping cost. Trust me whatever you are sending will not move because of the packaging paper haha. If you are sending model cars, masking tape will prevent doors from opening without damaging the paint, you can also fill the spaces inside a box with air filled plastic bubbles just in case. I understand someone used registered mail before but still, if you didn’t add the insurance or seals and it got tampered with in transit... you played.. always insure your package, pay the extra bucks, it protects you and the seller, you get your money if the seller steals your package, or the seller gets his money if the package gets damaged in route and you can’t replace it the item...

13. Cayohuesovespa Jul 25, 2020

Depends on location. USPS and ups terrible here I. Key west. We have a fedexhFedEx so I always ship FedEx and hold at the hub and pickup. Takes the driver out if the equation and the likelihood of it not making it are nil.

janice&fred likes this.
  14. Stripey Jul 27, 2020

Returning a watch to Sinn in Germany for service, I thought I would send it direct, because it would be quicker than waiting for the local agent to have sufficient watches to send. Quickly realised no-one will insure the watch, so tried Mailboxes Etc. For some reason, their website doesn't let you skip the name section, even though it's a business you're sending it to. And for some other reason, the quote I have got was addressed to the recipient, not the sender. It begins:

Dear Mr Kundendienst

or, in English

Dear Mr Customer Service

That made me laugh inordinately long. Anyway, the price means I'm going to be sending it back to the local service agent to send to Germany - it's just a lot easier.

15. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Aug 14, 2020

Sorry this probably doesn’t add much but @Lucasssssss takes the prize for packing engineering- with the unique and custom fitted packet below.

I’ve been at it for a few minutes and after conquering the outer box and the tightly taped bubble wrap I had to take a lunch break to have strength for the last stage.
    Thank you dear @Lucasssssss :thumbsup:

977F0817-953B-4755-B1D6-FAAADB136CA9.jpeg
    Joe_A, DaveK and Lucasssssss like this.
  16. Lucasssssss Aug 14, 2020

Thank you! I have had one or two mishaps in the past where it appeared that Royal Mail mistook my parcel for a football, so now make sure everything is tightly packed.

Although I cant take too much credit for this parcel in particular; my girlfriend is a teacher and is currently on her summer holidays so she kindly volunteers to pack and ship parcels I am sending, I will pass on the good feedback!

Syrte likes this.
  17. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Sep 2, 2020

Well, here’s a new concept and the packet vanished for 3 weeks in the depths of the French postal distribution system.

But anyone looking at it will know there’s a nightmare ahead trying to unpack. And it looks unglorious enough that I doubt anyone would suspect valuables inside.

for safety I’ve removed from view the labels containing personal information but they were taped right on there.

9A64A11E-A93F-4056-81F7-E6E2C5B963F6.jpeg
  18. 30t1 Sep 9, 2020

I received and used the method of a watch inside a hard case for glasses taped and inside another. Always tape every seam, also once around the box.
    For domestic shipping, I try to do it on Monday, covers most of the US in 5 days. I received a watch from overseas, in a tin watchmaker box actually two boxes. All packaged and taped inside another box.

19. ajn3323 Sep 11, 2020

This thread should be required reading for anyone who sells and ships watches. I recently received a watch from a longtime member here who sells four- and five-digit priced watches. It was a sad and horrific packing job. The crystal was damaged (scratched, not broken) in shipment and fortunately the case escaped unscathed.

20. slwoodster Sep 14, 2020

If I remember correctly... UPS and FedEx both have required their own packing techniques for different types of items such as these in order to honor their shipping insurance.

felsby likes this.