Best packing and shipping practices?

Posts
153
Likes
57
I recently bought a watch from an antique store (not a watch specialist) in the UK which is not yet with me but the seller was so kind to send me pictures of the packacking.
Shipping was complementary by the way.



This is how it should be done!

Worst shipping experience was a watch simply put in an unprotected letter envelope - even not bubbles!
We don't talk about a 20 usd watch but about a 3k+ watch ... That was simply ridiculous and it was from a "professional" ebay watch seller from south America... Result was a cracked crystal and a ding in the bezel. He didn't even admit any wrongdoing as he always ships like this without problems...
Probably the best packed watch Ive ever seen !
 
Posts
153
Likes
57
Watch dealer here... Best practice is to double to triple box the item at home. Never at the store. Do not let them know what is inside. You can get the boxes for free at Fedex. M2 is usually the best. I put the watch in a padded envelope if it is not a full set. Then stuff with more boxes / envelopes as they are free at Fedex. Then ship it out at Fedex. Always put insurance. Do not mess around with being uninsured. You think it won't happen to you until it does. We ship out 2-3 watches per day. It happens more than you think.
@zkramez - curious if you've ever had to claim ? I see people here saying that it's not worth the insurance, I also see a huge amount of dealers under decalring, ether when they buy in or at the customers request when sending out.

But I never actually heard from someone if the insurance actually works if a claim is needed ?
I also see dealers working with specialty insurance companies to avoid the DHL and Fed Ex insurance, is that what you do ?
 
Posts
1,558
Likes
3,125
Please STOP taping the plastic padding.
I use masking tape or clear packing tape with flags and use permanent marker to make the flag easy to see.
Edited:
 
Posts
18,750
Likes
38,915
I use masking tape or clear packing tape with ffags and use permanent marker to make the flag easy to see.
Same here. I fold the open end of the tape over so the tab can be used to remove it.
It should be law, punishable by a $1000 fine for not doing it.

In the last year I've received about ten watches. All bound so tightly in metres of clear 2 inch "tabless" tape that Australia Post could have kicked them across the country without risk of the package bursting.

I now have a craft knife with a shortened blade just for such packages.
 
Posts
10
Likes
6
Whatever you do, video your packing. You may need it should your insured package gets damaged or buyer files a claim.
 
Posts
62
Likes
330
Whatever you do, video your packing. You may need it should your insured package gets damaged or buyer files a claim.
I haven't sold a watch in a while, but it used to be that insurance on a watch was actually hard to get if you read the fine print. Sure, they will SELL you the insurance, but in the fine print, watches and jewelry are usually excluded. That's with normal shippers. I haven't used Parcel Pro but it seemed like that was the only place in the US.

Also, USPS will insure watches but only shipped domestically. That was why lots of sellers in the US (including me) were reluctant to sell outside the US. Once the watch value got high enough, I wasn't willing to take the financial risk, and of course the buyer isn't willing either.
 
Posts
62
Likes
330
Also, haven't seen it mentioned, but these little cases are great for protecting a watch. I received a watch in one and I shipped a couple of watches in these. They will also fit inside a ziplock baggie (to protect against moisture - I've received packages soaked in whatever).