Forums Latest Members

Best choice for everyday wear for £500 GBP or under

1. imt58 Jul 12, 2012

I'm asking that great wealth odf experience out there for opinions on what I should go for. The watch will not be subject to water immersion but I would like to be able to wear it for general use.
    I would prefer an automatic to a quartz and don't like modern oversize watches.

Ian

2. ulackfocus Jul 12, 2012

£500 = $770 US for reference.

The popular choice is going to be a Seamaster non-diver of some sort, but I think you should check out the Genèves from the late 50's and early 60's. Most are found in mint condition for around your budget and ooze class and understatement (something that's lost on most gihugic modern watches).

3. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Jul 12, 2012

+1, here are some options!

Seamaster 750/751/752

[​IMG]

'60s Geneve like Dennis was talking about:

[​IMG]

Or a nice bumper. (Cal 342, 344, 351, 354, etc...)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They should all be under your budget.

4. imt58 Jul 12, 2012

Thanks Kyle. I love that last one! Sheer class.

5. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Jul 13, 2012

The best choice here if it will be worn regularly would be the first watch featured by Kyle - either that or the date version in the same style case. Also comes in gold cap models if that is more your cup of tea. Those 75x day-date movements or the 56x date movements were among the finest movements made by omega, the case style is not out of place event doay and this seamaster model style was a counterpart to the rolex datejust of the day. They also wear nicely and not too big at 36mm in diameter without the crown.

6. imt58 Jul 13, 2012

Thanks. It's so difficult to know when something is genuine when I haven't got the knowledge and experience you guys have.
    The Constellation I've been asking about is for sale by a so called reputable e-bayer but fellow members have advised I steer clear.

7. ulackfocus Jul 13, 2012

That's one of the reasons we're here. One day when you become this experienced, all we ask is that you repay us by helping the next generation of n00bs. It was done for me, and we hope those who we do it for carry on the watch forum tradition. I think the only thing about forum life I hate more than seeing a neophyte get ripped off are spammers.

gatorcpa and imt58 like this.