Forums Latest Members
  1. pascs Nov 21, 2012

I'm sure this has been discussed several times before but I'm lost as to what is the ideal choice for a vintage or newer Speedmaster that has the classic Speedmaster look.

I'd like to buy a Speedmaster in the near future for just regular wear and it would be nice to buy a watch which will maintain its value in the future. There seems to be such a wide range of Speedmasters around the £1500 price range.

The 321 cal is out of my price range and probably a minefield to find a good one, so I'm thinking an 861, either early or late or a 1861 as in the 3570.50 would be the best choice?

Also what about the Anniversary editions, would they be worth the extra cost and hold their value better than say a regular Speedmaster?

Any advice welcome before I start reading up on the history of the Speedmaster ;)

2. Dash1 Nov 21, 2012

If you can't stretch to a 321 powered model then my feeling is a vintage 861 Speedmaster Professional. You can just about pick up a decent 145.022-69 for £1500 I think and that's a 'pre-moon' model (and the case is made in the very year of the moon landings) so will continue to be collectable. After that a nice vintage one from the 1970's with a Tritium dial has the classic look (take a look at the one I have for sale on the forum for a bargain price!) and makes the perfect daily wearer imo. I also think the limited editions or anniversary models will be a better bet than a bog standard 1861 model.
    You won't regret buying a Speedy!

3. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 21, 2012

4. pascs Nov 21, 2012

thanks for the replies

Ash, I had been looking at yours but it will probably be January before I'm going to buy something for myself. I would like to get a watch for my wife for her Christmas so watch funds will be tight until after the new year

I do have the anniversary one in my watched list so at least I'll have an idea how much they go for, good to know too thats a trusted seller :)

5. Dash1 Nov 21, 2012

One thing that occurs to me concerning future values of these models, and I could be wrong, is that the with ltd edition/anniversary models cosmetic condition is likely to be important, whereas with the vintage types some cosmetic wear is expected and originality will be the most important factor. So if you really want a daily wearer and are as clumsy as me.....