Forums Latest Members
  1. cakey007 May 3, 2024

Had I not have Bert in our spare bedroom I don’t think I would believe it .

The Bert in question is a clients full size Ginger Maine Coon cat- handsome fellow but as his owners pointed out , a bit stupid.

For the last couple days I have been working for clients installing some windows. Bert has been nosing around the van , in the back but generally staying out the way when I’m about.
    I leave this afternoon and head off to do a survey 120Km away/ about 90 minutes of driving on motorways and small lanes to get to my next stop .
    Off I go with the client, spend maybe half an hour measuring up what needs doing and go to leave when we can hear a cat.
    Odd, so I wondered if there was one nearby but nope. Starting to think there may be one in the back I have a look in the back of the van but no sign which left the engine.
    So I lift the bonnet and there’s Bert peering up!
    Neither the customer nor myself could believe it, the poor fellow.
    It took best part of 20 minutes to coax him out ( bearing in mind he kept his distance at the job) and then follow him rounds the grounds and field to pick him up without him spooking and running off.

I carefully put him in the cab with me and let the clients know, who hadn’t realised he was missing and made it home .
    Understandably he was shaking when I was trying to get him out the engine bay but unharmed in any way and quite receptive to attention, and no doubt grateful to be in the cab rather than under it.
    We have him resting in the back bedroom where’s it’s quiet and he’s settled quite happily and very affectionate and happy.
    Can’t begin to tell you how relieved he is ok, and how he survived unscathed !

one lucky cat! … and now I want a Maine Coon!

IMG_4284.jpeg IMG_4286.jpeg

gostang9, flw, pdxleaf and 26 others like this.
  2. BlackTalon This Space for Rent May 3, 2024

Yikes! That's a big cat to avoid getting caught up in moving parts or burned when the van was in route. Glad you were able to get him back safely. Our gingerish Maine Coon awards you a gold star for your excellent performance.

Edited May 3, 2024
    Turpinrr and Jones in LA like this.
  3. Jones in LA Isofrane hoarder. May 3, 2024

Hooray for Bert, and for you!

Turpinrr likes this.
  4. cakey007 May 6, 2024

Thanks guys, main thing is somehow he survived unscathed, albeit a bit subdued , understandably!!

5. ErichPryde May 6, 2024

Maine Coons are the best!

20231103_163019.jpg

flw, pdxleaf, Waltesefalcon and 10 others like this.
  6. cakey007 May 6, 2024

Awesome!
    I have a funny feeling we may end up with at least one! My son was very taken with Bert as well.

Turpinrr and ErichPryde like this.
  7. ghce May 6, 2024

You'll need a decent vacuum cleaner, I recommend Dyson.

8. JimInOz Melbourne Australia May 6, 2024

Dyson, the Rolex of vacuum cleaners.
    So many marketing promises, so many disappointments.

We've had 3 and they were crap, especially battery life on the hand helds.

Now using an LG and it beats the Dyinyourarseson hands down.

hen, Turpinrr, GarethS and 2 others like this.
  9. ghce May 6, 2024

Yes but did you have a Daytona? lol
    Got to agree about battery crap!
    I've got only had the old ones and not had problems but I see a lot of negative comment on the later stuff, bit like Boeing I guess once the accountants start taking control

10. TexOmega May 6, 2024

Which LG model do you like the best?

JimInOz likes this.
  11. gbesq May 6, 2024

I think that Bert has cashed in at least one of his nine lives after this experience.

flw, Aludic, noelekal and 3 others like this.
  12. ErichPryde May 6, 2024

Miele does great as well.

pdxleaf likes this.
  13. BlackTalon This Space for Rent May 6, 2024

They are great at board games, so Dad can weasel out of playing

1000011419.jpg

14. cakey007 May 7, 2024

Apparently he’s down to seven.
    Once he got stuck in a neighbours chimney- they thought they’d lost him as was gone 9 days! eventually managed to get out, skinny, covered in soot and claws worn right down.
    Bert’s memorable to say the least !

We use Henry’s, having tried most other sorts but hess as r good things about Meile

15. ghce May 7, 2024

If Berts owners haven't yet informed you yet, Maine Coons shed (in lumps) a large amount of fur each day and vacuuming on a daily basis is the norm.
    One thing that amazes me about Maine Coon fur is that unlike all matter in the universe that falls with Gravity when you drop it Maine Coon fur it floats up into the air and drifts away, with the amount on a Coon I don't understand why the cats don't just float away.

16. hen May 7, 2024

And what does not float up into the air, turn into dreadlocks. Lots of grooming and brushing needed.

cakey007, ErichPryde, ghce and 2 others like this.
  17. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers May 7, 2024

Maine Coons have two coats.
    A 'waterproof' top layer and the softest undercoat.
    It's the undercoat that flies away on the wind.

We would collect their fur and put into a springy-ball bird feeder.
    Our local birds had the best lined nests in the county.

That is definitely the biggest downside of these wonderful cats.
    You need to accustom them to being brushed from when they are very small kittens because its no fun trying to brush a pissed-off fully grown Maine Coon - let alone shave them (which you will also have to do if you can't brush them regularly)

18. ghce May 7, 2024

And another fun anti Einstein reality fact about Main Coons is that if you brush them for 5 minutes you will have a pile of fur bigger than the cat itself, if you wait another 5 minutes and brush them again for 5 minutes you will again have a pile of fur bigger than the cat itself, you could probably do this all day until you have a room full of fur and the cat will still look the same.

hen, Turpinrr, cakey007 and 3 others like this.
  19. BlackTalon This Space for Rent May 7, 2024

Oddly enough our Maine Coon sheds less than the shorter haired cats we had when I was a kid. We were prepared for the worst, but it's been a non-issue. The dreadlocks comment above though -- we're fighting that on a daily basis, particularly on Max's chest. And no, he absolutely does not like being brushed. Doing it when he was a kitten was no better. The brush is his mortal enemy.

cakey007, ghce and Peemacgee like this.
  20. gbesq May 7, 2024

So lots of fur, you say? Try owning an Old English Sheepdog. These are big dogs with a double coat. Interestingly, they do not shed, but without weekly grooming they develop mats in their coats that have to be cut out and they become susceptible to skin hot spots. An absolutely wonderful, gentle breed and perfect for households with children, but not a low maintenance dog when it comes to grooming.
    upload_2024-5-7_9-2-20.jpeg

Edited May 11, 2024
    Waltesefalcon, hen and cakey007 like this.