Forums Latest Members

Benrus Ultra Deep pics price and thoughts?

1. sdre Sep 16, 2017

So I visited a local vintage dealer and he has this beautiful piece for sale at 2200 USD.

Condition looks to me immaculate and in great condition. (another friend of mine commented it might be touched up)

What do you guys think in terms of value? It is reasonable? Over priced? I saw on Chrono 24 that one was going for 2000 usd but I don't think the condition is as good as this.

Seems correct crowns, backcase has very faint markings of benrus.

Oh yes the dealer also mentioned vintage watches should avoid water at all cost. So even rain and washing hands, he advised to give remove and keep the watch. I'm wondering what's the point of wearing a supercompressor dive watch if it can't withstand such daily wear? Of course that's his advice but do u guys with vintage watches do so?

Appreciate your feedback. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Edited Sep 16, 2017
    VintageNoble likes this.
  2. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Sep 16, 2017

There are several ways to think about the value of such watches, but first, let's talk about condition. For that kind of money I would definitely want a well-preserved case back. Perhaps your photo is not accurate, but I would want to see something like this, minus any serious scratches:

[​IMG]

Now, with respect to value, there are plenty of nice twin-crown super-compressors that can be bought for roughly half of the asking price of this Benrus. So essentially you would be paying a hefty premium for a watch that, while uncommon, is not intrinsically superior to some much less expensive ones. It is a well made watch, and better than some, but not, like an IWC ref. 812 Aquatimer, featuring a cal. 854 movement, technically superior to most.

A good comparison would be the Hamilton Aqua- Date. Coincidentally, it looks like the above-mentioned IWC, yet costs less, and at times significantly less than the Benrus that you show.

The dive watch market is largely about fashion, which is why, for example, first generation Breitling Transocean examples bring five figures. So, if you really like the dial and hand set design, and can afford to pay a premium for it, then go for it. But if you are looking for good value, then check out some lesser known brands and you will be able to find nice and attractive Super Compressors for much less money.

Regards,

Tony C.

3. sdre Sep 16, 2017

Thank you so much for the reply. The backcase is actually just a very very faint benrus letter across. Nothing like the picture shown in your reply.

Bluntly put, should I use this as a counter point to bring his price down? Or should I wait for something better?

The dial looks really good though. That's the one that really caught me.

4. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Sep 16, 2017

Yes, if the etched information on the case back is worn, I would attempt to use that as leverage to bring the price down. The dial and hands do look good, and I can see why you like it.

These are not common, but they do appear on the market semi-regularly, and there are a couple of others for sale at the moment. If you are prepared to spend around $2k, and are patient, I would expect that you could find an even better one.

sdre likes this.
  5. sdre Sep 16, 2017

Thank you sir. I shall take your advice and see if I can negotiate the price down.

I'm thinking somewhere 1.5-1.6k usd to be a fair price?

If he refuses then I'll keep waiting =)

6. TexOmega Sep 16, 2017

Make sure the top crown actually rotates the internal bezel.

sdre likes this.
  7. sdre Sep 16, 2017

it does. quite smoothly.

the winding slips a little bit. but after winding, it runs ok. not sure what's the timing on it though

8. sdre Sep 16, 2017

Good morning everyone. I woke up and the first thing on my mind was this watch.

I have this huge urge to just say, screw it, i may never find another dial like this. Let's just bite the bullet and pay the money.....

It's been on my mind the whole of last night.......

9. redpcar Sep 16, 2017

Is that a Seiko strap? If so, it will fetch a hundy :)
    $2.2K will buy quite a variety of cool watches out there. This looks like a nice example but is priced that way, too.
    If this is at a watch shop, and you decided to buy, see if the seller will come off the price. Make him a "reasonable" offer.

10. sdre Sep 16, 2017

A couple of my friends introduced him to me. He's got a nice modern/contemporary shop in a very central location. (I assume his rent issn't cheap) Yeah he told me he got it at 2000 usd, so he's just make a couple of hundred as profit. Yes or no if that's true or not; it sounds like he won't be going any lower than 1900 USD.

I reckon there are many of us who will/will not take the plunge. Admittedly, I bought my Tudor black bay in nos condition for 3300 USD. Managed to sell it off at 3200 USD (I thought oh well its a keeper) hence i was willing to pay a premium. But alas, it didnt click with me.

So now i'm back to the same spot. A nice "overvalued" item that I REALLY want. But knowing me, it might not sit down long with me.... and i might just sell at a lower price. :S

11. redpcar Sep 16, 2017

I've owned a bunch of watches and said: "This watch is my holy grail and I will not need another one......EVER"
    Then another shiny watch shows up :rolleyes:
    My wife stopped asking about the box in the mail a long time ago.

12. TexOmega Sep 16, 2017

" I can STOP anytime I want!! " :D

GuiltyBoomerang, sdre and redpcar like this.
  13. GuiltyBoomerang Sep 17, 2017

I keep saying to myself: "This will be the last one for the year!"

Then I find reasons to buy more i.e "Oh, I have a spare Omega buckle lying around, what watch could I put it on..."

sdre likes this.
  14. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Sep 22, 2017