Forums Latest Members
  1. Shibdog Aug 20, 2020

A few months ago I ended up finding my grail watch, a blue dial Aqua Terra, I thought finally my poor wallet can rest for a while. Then I made the mistake of sitting down to reading a bunch of books on the space program.... I think you see where this is headed. The Seamaster has taken up probably 80% of my wrist time and I actively have to force myself to wear anything else, and I'm pretty sure a Moonwatch is the only thing that can compete for wrist time at this point.

I have done some basic research, but there are just so many speedy variants, figured it was worth a shot to see if I could get some suggestions to narrow down to a few different references. I am not picky on modern vs vintage, but do prefer a more traditional look vs some of the auto versions with white or colored dials. I have also played around with the idea of making this a birthday watch (85') , and am looking to spend around $3,000 USD at most, beyond that I would probably just consider a new one with warranty still on it.

Any suggestions on what to start looking around for are appreciated.

2. stevec14 Aug 20, 2020

Honestly, if you love the history etc then the standard Moonwatch with hesalite is the way to go.

many here love it. It’s never been for me, Mainly because I dislike the bracelet, but it should be within budget if you shop around.

good luck hunting. Let’s see a pic of the AT.

Dedalus05 and Shibdog like this.
  3. Shibdog Aug 20, 2020

4. rootbeer7 Aug 20, 2020

I tried a friends on and I was hooked. Hesalite was my choice and tritium preferred for the warm patina. I’m not a fan of the bracelets, particularly the modern ones, so I looked for head only. In a week I found a last series late 90s tritium model 145.00. Slightly above your budget but worth it. Looks amazing on every strap.

DAE6BF6D-5AD4-478F-9F1D-4786858308D5.jpeg
    Twocats, Speedy2254, Shibdog and 7 others like this.
  5. rob#1 Aug 20, 2020

I went with the classic hesalite model, it’s the iconic version. It’s true that it’s a strap monster, and this has the added bonus of it being like wearing a new watch every time you swap in a new strap ;).

Twocats, rootbeer7, Pun and 1 other person like this.
  6. u35rm8 Aug 20, 2020

Not sure if you’ll be able to find a birth year Speedie in your budget but you should be able to pick up one of the newer ones. Definitely worth trying them on first though.

Shibdog likes this.
  7. Shibdog Aug 20, 2020

I have an Omega boutique near me, will probably stop by to try one on in person this week, especially to try the bracelet since a few people are already saying they aren't keen on it. Will report back with once I have some on wrist impressions.

u35rm8, rootbeer7 and Mossback like this.
  8. u35rm8 Aug 21, 2020

If buying from newish I would always go for the bracelet even if you don’t use it just because the price difference is not too great in comparison to buying a steel bracelet separately. Saying that, I much prefer wearing it on a strap / Nato as it really suits the watch.

Shibdog likes this.
  9. Fastsled Aug 21, 2020

I went with the new one, hesalite version. I love it!

u35rm8 and pianomankd like this.
  10. pianomankd Aug 21, 2020

Congrats! Wear it in great health!

Fastsled likes this.
  11. Cayohuesovespa Aug 21, 2020

im also looking for my first SM. so many variations.

12. mjb Aug 21, 2020

I am a rebel, I guess. I have the sapphire sandwich on the bracelet. I think the bracelet is gorgeous, comfortable and suits the watch well. That said, it also looks good on a strap. I like shiny, hence the sapphire, and yet the "old fashioned" hands still give it a good authentic vibe. IMHO.

I concur with the comment about white and colored dials, but other than that I don't think you can really go wrong with any Speedy variant.

13. u35rm8 Aug 21, 2020

Congrats, that was fast!

14. Shibdog Aug 21, 2020

So, stopped off during lunch and tried on a few variants. I was surprised at first by how tiny it is compared to the size i had in my mind, but it was on par with my AT (probably because every photo i see is a giant macro shot). I do agree im not super keen on the metal but as another poster had said for the price difference may as well, can always change that out later easily enough. The crystal also surprised me, I liked the way way the light went through the sapphire one just a hair better, and the caseback window was neat, but was not a fan of the harder edges. Will probably still go with the hesalite version. Omega wanted 5300 or something like that and I know vendors on the forum seem to sell what i want for sub 4k USD, but I will probably hunt for used ones possibly, but at least I have a baseline now.

IMG_20200821_122255.jpg

slwoodster and Fastsled like this.
  15. speedygrail Aug 23, 2020

I was in your shoes not too long ago. You can get a 2015-2018 speedy for around $3300-$3400 if you look hard enough with the big box, bracelet, box papers. Don't settle and get a head only or leather strap version, the bracelet is worth the premium. I used watchrecon to find mine. But do your homework and "buy" the seller.

Places like Crown and Caliber are good too but you pay a premium. Also a tip, if it's late 90's/mid 2000's it will likely need a service soon, put that in your budget. Good luck!

watch3s likes this.
  16. Shibdog Aug 23, 2020

I have used Elady and DavidSW (the AT) in the past and had good experieces, I am checking around to other vendors too, more shopping their reputation vs inventory at this point. You are spot on with getting the bracelet up front. I love my Aqua Terra and got a great price on it, but wish I had gotten the bracelet instead of the rubber. Even if I dont use it much, to have it for just a few dollars more as an option is nice.

3rdstringholder likes this.
  17. slwoodster Aug 23, 2020

Hesalite Speedy pro is the original and one of the most traded watches. You’ll find it soon

18. sparky543 Aug 24, 2020

+1 for the hesalite Speedy Pro.

19. buramu Aug 24, 2020

I'm adding a vote for the sapphire. It's not the "purest" moonwatch, but the rich slab of sapphire they put on the watch definitely gives the watch a slightly more premium/luxury feel; and I personally love the way the light refracts in it (making the watch stand out from a distance much more than the plastic crystal).

The display caseback is also a joy to look at, which is an added bonus. Out of my modest collection of watches, this is the most interesting movement to look at and I often casually take my watch off the wrist to cast a few glances at it.

I feel that with the sapphire you're getting more watch for your money (and a more 21st century luxury feel whilst retaining the timeless design) than with the plastic version.

Edited Aug 24, 2020
  20. w@tcher Aug 25, 2020

I would propose to try also the First Omega In Space (FOIS) on your wrist.
    It has a smaller case 40mm, the same winding caliber 1861, a sapphire glass and it has a leather band.
    In my eyes looks more classic than the Professional.

I am a happy owner of both watches, Professional with hesalite crystal and the FOIS.
    Honestly, i love them both and i can't decide which one to wear every time...

watch3s, Twocats and buramu like this.