Forums Latest Members

Beginner's Question: Bracelet Pin Terminology

1. Essential123 Mar 30, 2015

Hello everyone,

I recently bought a new watch and encountered a situation that I am completely unfamiliar with. My watch link fell apart when the pin failed (as the watch sat in my pocket). The obvious next thing to do was to replace the pin so that I could wear my watch again. I realized that I had no idea what the proper name for the pin was even called.

The first thing that came to mind was "spring bar." After some googling, I found that the spring bar is only for connecting the bracelet to the head (only need 2 for the entire watch).

The second thing I found was cotter, pressure, stainless steel band, rivet, and notched tube pins. The picture from Ofrei (http://www.ofrei.com/page476.html) let me get a good visual of what each looked like. I wasn't sure about the difference between these and if these were right for my watch.

The third thing I found was removable link pins and clasp pins. This seems to be the one I want, given by the site (http://www.ofrei.com/page584.html). The clasp pin, I presume is for the clasp, and slightly wider than the removable link pins.

Since my watch is an Omega 2551.80 with a 1502/824 band, I ended up with this:

Seamaster 1501 & 1502 Removable Link Pin
    Also used as clasp pin on model 1501
    On Bracelet 1502/824 this pin is used to connect the end link to the bracelet body.
    OME-128ST9051

Can anyone let me know if I'm right, and what the difference between all the pins are? When I bought my watch, it came with an extra pin so I just substituted it in. It also came with what looks like the removable link tube, but I didn't put that part in. The picture shows two link tubes per pin on one side, so should I be worried that I did not add it in?

This is apparently the schematic for the 1502 bracelet: (http://www.ofrei.com/images/1503825parts.jpg)

Please help a beginner out! Thanks.

2. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Mar 30, 2015

Take it to any decent watchmaker as this would be a $10 fix while you wait. Last thing you want is your work to fail and your watch fall onto a hard surface.

Just my advise others might help more with pictures

3. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Mar 30, 2015

You can also email your local boutique the serial number of your watch along with a description of the part and they will tell you the part number.

The boutiques provide exceptional customer service.

4. chickenman26 Mar 30, 2015

I'm assuming this watch is new to you but not actually a new watch. It's critical that each link have both tubes installed. If not, the link will be wobbly (one tube missing). If both tubes are missing, the pin will just fall out.
    Those are the correct pins, but you also need the tubes listed just below...2 for each link. If you're unfamiliar with this job, you'll likely just bend the pins or mar the links trying to knock them in. And as you see, they aren't cheap. Consider having a dealer repair that bracelet, or get the parts and take the watch to a boutique. They'll probably install the link pin and tubes with no charge.

5. Essential123 Mar 30, 2015

Chickenman, you were right. I read your comment and put the watch in my pocket to keep it safe. And it just so happens that my pin disappeared on me AGAIN (though my pocket I might add)!!

I went to Precision Watch Repairs in NYC Midtown to just completely resolve this issue. Since I needed my watch resized anyways, I moved the pin and two tubes down to the link that needed it. I was lucky because I don't believe PWR had pins and tubes on hand. It cost me a cool $20. I'll probably have to buy extra pins and tubes but at $15 per link, it gets pretty expensive.

6. chickenman26 Mar 30, 2015

I have 2 watches that wear that same bracelet, and another with a 1501/823 which uses the same link pins and tubes, so I bought 6 pins and a pack of 10 tubes from Ofrei to use when I disassembled those bracelets for repair and polishing. Certainly expensive enough, but better than not having them on hand if needed. This is mainly my wife's fault for egging me on whenever see sees me drooling over a new watch. BTW, she said to tell you to buy more watches so you can justify buying the pins and tubes.

Stu

OmegaRookie likes this.
  7. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 31, 2015

They actually are not terribly expensive, at least from Omega. With the recent price increase they doubled to $2 each (were only $1 each for a long time), so a link's worth would be $6 for 1 pin and 2 pipes.

watch3s likes this.
  8. chickenman26 Mar 31, 2015

Maybe I should check the boutique then for retail prices. I forget what I paid Otto Frei for those parts a couple years ago, but I'm sure it wasn't their current price of $4.95 each. Ouch!

9. Essential123 Mar 31, 2015

Hi Archer, glad to see you here. I was the one who emailed you about the quickset date a week ago.

On Ofrei, it is $4.40 a pin (for quantity of 3-9), and $3.60 a tube (for a quantity of 10+); not to mention shipping is a killer $12. I'll be sure to replace all my pins and pipes replaced when I sent my watch to you for servicing.

10. watch3s May 19, 2017

how much is the link tho