Been eyeing the Master Collection Moonphase Retrograde-- Where is it?

Posts
2,624
Likes
2,803
So, I keep looking at this watch in 41mm : https://www.longines.com/en-us/p/watch-longines-master-collection-retrograde-l2-738-4-71-6

It seems pretty great, a complicated movement with a fantastic looking dial, in a pretty fantastic package! BUUT, The no one at the AD in my area have even heard of it! It has basically no youtube video presence, and I don't really see it for sale 2nd hand on forums/etc (never been for sale here OR WUS!) like everything else. Did this just never really sell/get any attention?

Is it just a much worse watch than I keep thinking when I check it out?

Anyone have feedback on it? I would have loved to pick up a 'gently loved' version ("new" seems to be about $3200 on ebay), but I'm just shocked at how invisible this reference seems to be.
 
Posts
243
Likes
1,200
Hi ErichKeane, did you decide on a retrograde Moonphase? I think this is a fantastic watch, and I considered it when I was looking at different Longines. While the particular reference you’re looking at isn’t on YouTube, the overall collection, the Master Retrograde does have a number of good videos available. I don’t think you’ll find a high quality retrograde with more complications, in the price range.
 
Posts
2,624
Likes
2,803
Hi ErichKeane, did you decide on a retrograde Moonphase? I think this is a fantastic watch, and I considered it when I was looking at different Longines. While the particular reference you’re looking at isn’t on YouTube, the overall collection, the Master Retrograde does have a number of good videos available. I don’t think you’ll find a high quality retrograde with more complications, in the price range.
I didn't end up picking it up. I found a few dealers willing to give me a new price of $3200 on ebay, but didn't end up pulling the trigger for a pair of reasons:

1- I don't tend to wear dress watches much/at all, I'm a pretty 'causal' guy so they look weird on me.
2- I ended up picking up a white speedmaster a few days after posting this 😁 So my 'new watch budget' is zero.

Additionally, it seems like one that I'd have to see in person to decide whether I love it or not, so I'm hoping I'll see one in person. The retrograde is really cool, but i'm not sure if it is a complication that I'll end up 'loving', or it'll jsut be a novelty.
 
Posts
243
Likes
1,200
That's fair, I think the Master Retrograde suffers from being slightly busy. There's so much packed into the dial. People call Longines a mall brand, but I'll be darned if I can find a mall where they have a boutique to try them on. (I'd have a dozen Longines watches most likely)
 
Posts
2,624
Likes
2,803
So I finally ended up with one of these lightly used, and it arrived today! Initial thoughts:
As busy as the dial is, it is really nicely balanced and is pretty fantastic looking. The blued hands are great, and the dial texture works super.

The watch looks huge from the side, but honestly, isn't going to bother me. It still looks "tall" from certain angles, but that is ok 😀 A lot of the height is the very tall chapter ring. The top hand (minute hand) comes up half way, so they coulda picked up a mm or 2 there. The movement is "small" for the case it seems, so inside the display case back you can see the height is necessary, but the movement doesn't quite "fill" it out.

The watch is really light feeling. It seems almost "cheapishly made" feeling as a result, but that really is just the weight. The crown and buttons are all quality feeling, so it is really a lack of heft that caught me by surprise.

Speaking of which, the buttons all make perfect sense! I could have done without the gmt-esque jump hour hand setting, but perhaps not awful to have.

The butterfly clasp is gonna take me a while 😀

The retrograde second hand is super cool. The other 3 retrograde hands you'll probably never be watching at the exact moment it switches (though midnight at the end of the month might be fun!), but keep the layout less distracting than you'd think.

Overall, a fun, very wearable watch that I kinda wish I picked up a while ago.

 
Posts
13,915
Likes
54,106
I was going to say find a boutique. When I have looked at the heritage and other modern lines line, they looked too shiny and busy. Wear in good health.
 
Posts
918
Likes
4,972
Overall, a fun, very wearable watch that I kinda wish I picked up a while ago.
Absolutely gorgeous timepiece 😍 Wear it in good health for many years to come.
 
Posts
2,624
Likes
2,803
I was going to say find a boutique. When I have looked at the heritage and other modern lines line, they looked too shiny and busy. Wear in good health.
As you can tell, I was on the fence on this for quite a while 😁 The 'boutique's around me (basically ADs?) never had any of the Master Collection, so I was never able to see one until today. That said, it IS very busy, but I think tastefully so? Thanks to the dial, less shiny than it could be. Really just another fun sometimes watch 😀
 
Posts
432
Likes
1,044
How long does it take you to set the watch?
 
Posts
2,624
Likes
2,803
How long does it take you to set the watch?
Honestly, not long. Time is a normal date watch time set, with the advantage of the 'day/night' indicator to help. After that, a push button to work day of week and another for day of month, and a moonphase button.

TBH the most time consuming thing was trying to figure out what the phase of the moon actually IS today 😁