Forums Latest Members

Beautiful, Thin, and Elegant 14k Eterna Chronometre Open Face Pocket Watch

1. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Nov 30, 2016

While my focus has long been wristwatches, I have collected a few pocket watches over the years as well. And, as I am in a selling mood at the moment, I've decided to let go of this fine, 14k gold Eterna Chronometre dating to around 1930.

The title really tells the basic story, but as you will be able to see from the photos below, the watch features an uncommon two-tone dial, coin edge bezel, and very nice, intricate case work. For pedantic collectors, it is worth noting that during this pre-war manufacturing period, the term "chronometre" was used more liberally than when the watches subsequently had to undergo specific testing to earn such a designation. However, Eterna, like Movado, tended to use the designation only on their watches that featured high quality movements. So, even if they weren't adjusted, they were certainly capable of very accurate timekeeping. This particular movement, a caliber 320 with a gilt finish, is, in my view, both high-quality and quite beautiful.

The watch measures 47mm, and is a mere 10mm thick! The hands are made of blued (actually purple-hued) steel, and the watch is, to my knowledge, fully original. I would say that it is in very good to excellent condition throughout. The only notable flaw that I can find is a very small depression (dent) which can be seen on the upper right of the case back. The case snaps tightly.

For comparison purposes, here is a very similar one, those with a closed front:

http://eterna-fanatic.com/pages/bakery/eterna-pocketwatch-14-kt.-yellow-gold-chronometer-1930-33.php

The watch is working, but hasn't been timed, and a service would be recommended for any regular use.

Price: $525

I ship from my home town of Lisbon, Portugal, and can accept either a bank transfer or Paypal. At my asking price, registered shipping and Paypal fees are included. EMS would be an additional $50; FedEx an additional $100.

Feel free to ask any questions!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Jonatan Nov 30, 2016

Beautiful watch Tony.

3. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Nov 30, 2016

As I've said before - a lovely floral pattern around the edge.

4. tmw57 Nov 30, 2016

Not much of a pocket watch guy myself, but certainly see the appeal of that one!

Lovely watch Tony..