Forums Latest Members

Beautiful (IMHO) Constellation for sale - any immidiate warning signs?

1. Togri Feb 25, 2014

I have been wanting a connie for quite some time and has spotted this beauty in my opinion. What do you more experienced guys think? I have included all pics from the sales add: price is currently at $ 840 USD. Cal 564, all original according to seller except glass. Would like to hear opinions :) ::confused2:: Thx
    image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

2. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 25, 2014

564 what's not to like :) Looks like an honest watch

3. timeismoney Feb 25, 2014

Dial looks clean, lugs are sharp though quite a few dings, onyx markers, medallion intact and in good shape as far as what can be seen, quickset date and comes with the buckle too. Not a bad price at all by today's standards, I say go for it.

4. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Feb 25, 2014

Another "rare" 168.005 with unmatched dial hardware and case material, medallion on back (caliber 564 with serial # 26?XXXXX 28?XXXXX mil)

5. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Feb 25, 2014

Yeah, I have to agree. It's possible that the caseback is a factory replacement. Caseback should have a steel medallion, if the movement is original.

Dial is an earlier type, but could be original to the case. If so, then the movement is a replacement.

Really no way to tell.
    gatorcpa

6. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Feb 25, 2014

I'd like to know the serial # of that 564 before I say it's a frankened watch ;) (168005 model should have dial hardware matching the medallion on back )

7. Togri Feb 26, 2014

Maaaan, it's great with all this expertise. Thx so much. This forum really saves me, my wallet and my marriage :) I was just able to make it out of the rubbish photos - the serial number is 28XXXXXX.

8. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 26, 2014

Good spotting on the earlier dial Gator, the medallion had look gold to me and I still can't really tell the color from the photo. That serial really kills it though Hoi :thumbsup:

Hoi , how about posting some correct examples showing all of the components of this watch on the correct different pieces, I know you've got them :thumbsup:

Togri likes this.
  9. Togri Feb 26, 2014

I will stay away from that watch then. Even though it looks kinda cool. No Franken for me today. That would be great with some examples ::jumpy::

10. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Feb 26, 2014

Hi Steve.
    Sure I can, 168005 and 167005 gold capped models were made with dial hardware (markers, hands, logo, star) matching the capping material and medallion on back.
    Here are some example.
    _Rose gold capped case with matching dial hardware

[​IMG]

and rose gold medallion on back

[​IMG]

I also notice that if the markers are onyx inserts, the movement serial number should NOT higher than 24 mil (after that, Omega painted them black to cut cost, so 24 mil is the borderline, some were made with onyx, others were painted black...)

With SS cases, the dial hardware are always SS matching medallion on back.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sometimes, an eBay doctor has a nice spare dial with matching hands, he put that unit into a SS case and swaps the 561 with a 564 from a C case, voilà, you will have a "nice looking watch"

[​IMG]

A friend of mine from VN also said that if the SS dial hardware is rusted or not shiny anymore , he removed them, dipped them into pink or yellow gold stuff
    then we will have what we see today.

=================

Please note that earlier models (168.001,14381, 2852 etc.....) in SS cases always have gold medallions on back.

JohnSteed and Gavin like this.
  11. fjf Feb 26, 2014

...A mine field, out there....[​IMG]

ron n likes this.
  12. timeismoney Feb 26, 2014

Yes! And thanks for the lessons ::book::