Forums Latest Members

SOLD Beautiful 18k Vintage (1930) Art Deco Tissot Chronometer PW w/Original Box

1. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Mar 31, 2019

As many forum members know, I am primarily a collector of vintage wristwatches from the Golden Period – the 1940s through '60s. But occasionally, when I stumble across something exceptional, I also delve into the world of pocket watches, and own a few as a result.

The watch that I am offering today is an outstanding example of gold Art Deco form the above-mentioned period. It is in excellent condition throughout, and includes several notable, high-class features.

As is typically the case with the most desirable of vintage watches, the dial is the star of the show. It is a rare variation, Art Deco in style, but with a truly timeless design. Multi-tone, sector, mirror, brushed center, it combines almost all of the characteristics that collectors actively seek out in dials today. The big, bold, blued steel hands contrast perfectly, and like all sophisticated dial designs, it changes instantly when seen at different angles and in different light.

Although I have provided a number of photos, I can guarantee that it will look even more beautiful in person!

The slim, elegant, 18k gold case measures 46mm, yet only about 9mm thick. It is also in excellent condition, showing only a few trivial, and very light scratches on the case back. The inner cover, which protects the movement, shows a beautiful engraving of the longer, early version of the classic "Tissot" signature (i.e. "Charles Tissot and Fils"). In my view, that signature is the most attractive of all produced by the Swiss manufacturers, and this is definitely one of the finest executions of it that I have come across. Both case covers close smoothly, and snap shut securely.

The movement is a cal. Tissot 18" (i.e. 18 ligne), produced (according to Ranfft) from 1920-33. This caliber is arguably a very attractive forefather of the cal. 38.2, 40.5, and even many of Tissot's mid-century wristwatch calibers. You can see its DNA in the basic bridge layout used by the company for decades. The movement, which shows a gilt finish, was adjusted to two positions, and dates to 1930.

This brings us to the "Chronometer" designation. As seasoned collectors know, chronometer designations prior to the 1940s were generally not as meaningful, or tightly controlled, as those after. But some manufacturers did take the designations seriously, and reserved them for only their very best watches. This was certainly the case in this instance, as Tissot produced very few watches designated as such during that period, and the finish of the movement, adjustments, and box confirm that this was a high-class production model.

The watch winds and sets correctly, though I do not know the last date of service.

One great advantage of collecting pocket watches is that the quality to price ratio is often far superior to that found in the vintage wristwatch market, and this is no exception. I ask €850 (or $950) for this superb piece, and will ship EMS (express) for free. The watch is located with me in my home in Lisbon, Portugal, so EU members will enjoy very fast and free transport.

One final, related note. My view is that gold value is almost certain to rise in value, and probably significantly, over the coming few years. If that premise proves to be correct, this type of watch will have provided an opportunity for a much more stable investment than most in the current, broadly inflated vintage market.

I can accept Paypal or bank transfer, in either dollars or EUR.

Feel free to ask any questions!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Edited Apr 2, 2019
    MMMD, Edward53, bgrisso and 30 others like this.
  2. aap Mar 31, 2019

Beautiful dial, Tony!

Tony C. likes this.
  3. jshaw083 Mar 31, 2019

Whoa

Tony C. likes this.
  4. rkman11 Mar 31, 2019

Holy hell that is STUNNING!

Tony C. and Syrte like this.
  5. alam Mar 31, 2019

... those blue hands...::love::

Tony C. likes this.
  6. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Apr 1, 2019

Thanks for the kind comments! The watch remains available, and I am open to serious offers.

aap likes this.
  7. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Apr 2, 2019

OHPF!

Albe100, JimInOz and cristos71 like this.
  8. Albe100 Apr 2, 2019

can't wait for this beauty!

mayankyadav, BenBagbag and Tony C. like this.
  9. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Apr 2, 2019

Sold! Thanks to the new owner, and OM Forum.

jshaw083 likes this.