Forums Latest Members

BBC Proms going to outer space

1. Omegafanman Apr 17, 2019

I thought some of the forum might be interested in this... should be good

The BBC Proms will blast into hyperspace this summer, with a series of interstellar concerts marking the 50th anniversary of the Moon landings. Alongside classics like Holst's The Planets, the season will include a Sci-Fi Prom, featuring scores from films such as Gravity and Alien: Covenant. The season opens in July with a new piece inspired by the first moon walk. Zosha Di Castri's Long Is The Journey, Short Is The Memory will be premiered on Friday 19 July, under the baton of Karina Canellakis - the first female conductor to oversee the First Night of the Proms. Meanwhile, art-rock band Public Service Broadcasting will play their concept album Race For Space in a special late night Prom.The record, which combines sparse electronic beats with archive audio recordings from the US-Soviet space race, will be presented in a new arrangement with the Multi-Story Orchestra.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-47946687

https://www.bbc.co.uk/proms

2. tyrantlizardrex Apr 17, 2019

We were very fortunate to hear the London Symphony Orchestra perform The Planets, under the direction of Simon Rattle, at the Barbican in 2017 - phenomenal!

Public Service Broadcasting’s Race for Space is also epic!

Adding proms 4 and 10 to the “try to get good tickets without bankruptcy” list.

SpeedyPhill and Omegafanman like this.
  3. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Apr 17, 2019

Interesting as I'll be in London on a few occasions talking about spacefarers' wristwatches and related findings :whistling:

Omegafanman and tyrantlizardrex like this.
  4. Omegafanman Apr 17, 2019

If you have any formal/informal events in London or UK full stop do let me know and I would try to make that. I have seen the Biel Museum thread and would love to attend but I visited the current Museum relatively recently and budgets/ logistics make that trip unlikely this year, having said that things can change for me in short order.

SpeedyPhill likes this.
  5. tyrantlizardrex Apr 17, 2019

Time 4A Pint meets every month in London - www.time4apint.com :thumbsup:

Omegafanman and SpeedyPhill like this.
  6. Omegafanman Apr 18, 2019

Thanks for the tip - I will look into that website over the Easter weekend :0)

7. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Apr 18, 2019

Time4aPint in London is a great initiative, meeting wristwatch guys & girls in a nice setting with good drinks :thumbsup:

tyrantlizardrex and Omegafanman like this.