Forums Latest Members
  1. Stonedhouse Sep 17, 2019

Hi all,

First post but have been lurking a while. My Grandfather left me a Seamaster 196.0080 / 1345 circa 1979 watch in so so condition but not working. I tried a battery change but to no avail and then put the watch away for a while as my bit of research showed any costs to service / get it repaired was probably going to be more than the value of the watch itself, and I don't really have the funds spare. But due to the sentimental angle and also me being an inquisitive engineer who tries to fix anything I persevered and finally sussed that with a new battery (Renata 392 recommended) it intermittently worked depending on subtle repositioning or nudging of the battery. My watch is the top 2 images (battery clamp removed). On further investigation I found the 3rd image online - that shows a small white spacer wrapped around the outer edge of the battery - you can see the 2 ends forming a gap in the spacer at the edge of the battery at the 4 o'clock position in the 3rd photo. This would appear to possibly be what I need as I can move my battery around very slightly and that gets the watch running again. I have tried wrapping some thin strips of insulation tape completely around my battery but with only intermittent success. I have now got it working continuously but only by stuffing random bits of tape in certain positions around the battery so this isn't really a long term solution. I have cleaned the top and bottom contacts to make sure there is good contact there so I am pretty sure it is just the battery not being as snug as it should. Has anyone any thoughts on the white insert shown in that 3rd photo? I've searched online parts lists but couldn't see it. Any help greatly appreciated. Thank you. Roger.

IMG_6768.jpg

No insert.png

With insert.png

2. MRC Sep 17, 2019

That white insert is an Omega part that holds current smaller diameter batteries in place. An AD (*) fitted one to my similar 1342 movement for no charge when they fitted a battery. Any AD or independant with an Omega parts account should be able to get one for you.

(*) However that AD now wants to send it off to Omega Service at 6 times the price to change the battery. :thumbsdown:

Edit: I am assuming it's an Omega part because they had it in stock and fitted it immediately.

Edited Sep 17, 2019
  3. vienna Sep 17, 2019

You can also easily cut the white washer out of a clean rubber glove. It just prevents the battery from moving around.

Kind regards Max

4. Stonedhouse Sep 18, 2019

Thank you both for the replies. I'll explore both. If I can get the insert from the AD without an expensive battery change then great as Ive plenty of batteries and am fine fitting myself, might have to do some sweet talking though. Failing that it's the rubber glove but I did try similar with insulating tape but got intermittent results.

5. ChrisN Sep 18, 2019

Hi @Stonedhouse

I think the suggestion of the rubber glove is for the battery insulator - the white part in your watch that is in the second photo. This is there to stop the -ve terminal touching anything except the terminal that you can see. You don't need one but, you already know that;).

I see a Renata 329 for the 1345 (not a 392). It's fairly late in UK and I can't look everything up but, I think these originally took a 388 and those are no longer available. As the 329 is a bit smaller, you need a spacer - here's one:
    https://www.cousinsuk.com/search?SearchTerm=388gasket

You'll need a Cousins account to see prices - they are about 5 GBP. If you're in UK and I can help, let me know.

Hope this helps, Chris