Battery required for Omega Speedsonic F300

The battery needs replacing in my Omega Speedsonic F300. This has always been done by my local Omega dealer in Derby (UK) who has now closed. Omega big dealers and Omega Repair centres do not want to get involved and Omega in the UK want £240 to change the battery or if they think necessary £590 for a service with a long lead time as they will send it to Switzerland. It is 18 months since the battery was changed and that is how long they last for me. Can anybody recommend someone who will do this simple job.

Any jeweller that offers battery swaps will do it surely. It won’t be waterproof but I doubt you swim with it anyway.
When I owned an f300 I had it changed a few times at the same shop for around 12 quid and then I bought a removal tool and did it myself after that.

It's an outrageous price what i read here. Definetly you will not need an Omega dealer to replace a battery. It's an easy job..i do not advice to do it yourself because if you do not have experince at all you can broke something but can go to any watchmaker...

This is my watch.
I unscrew the caseback (I use a soft rubber caseback ball).
With a fine screwdriver, I carefully loosen the screw that secures the battery arm until the arm swivels. I’m reluctant to unscrew it altogether in case the screw drops into the mechanism.
I insert a replacement battery and tighten. I’ve noticed that occasionally, I have to re-seat the battery.

IMG_3610.jpeg IMG_0492.jpeg

Old batteries had protruding positive terminals, new ones are flat, so it can touch the sides and short circuit, I used to tape the sides of batteries for this reason when I was using 300Hz's

Hi

That's bonkers from Omega, they are full of it! Paul (electric-watches) services mine in the UK, he looks after all my F300's. He's not working at the moment (back october) but next time it needs a service I would contact him. Glyn, if you are Derby/ Notts based then I use Nottingham watch repair to do simply battery changes for me, they are top blokes and are very reasonable

Cheers

Tom

PS here is Pauls site https://electric-watches.co.uk/

Old batteries had protruding positive terminals, new ones are flat, so it can touch the sides and short circuit, I used to tape the sides of batteries for this reason when I was using 300Hz's
Some brands of batteries (ex. Energizer 344) have this problem. If you get Renata 344, you should be Ok.

Some brands of batteries (ex. Energizer 344) have this problem. If you get Renata 344, you should be Ok.

I can second this. Paul (of electronic-watches website), cited above, kind-of told me off once for using an Energizer. He said, “Renata 344 ONLY, other batteries may cause a short circuit”.

I can also vouch for Paul. He is really good and his costs for service or repair are very reasonable. I think he takes breaks during the year though, so you have to catch him when he’s in business.

Hi

That's bonkers from Omega, they are full of it! Paul (electric-watches) services mine in the UK, he looks after all my F300's. He's not working at the moment (back october) but next time it needs a service I would contact him. Glyn, if you are Derby/ Notts based then I use Nottingham watch repair to do simply battery changes for me, they are top blokes and are very reasonable

Cheers

Tom

PS here is Pauls site https://electric-watches.co.uk/
Thanks, I had noticed Paul is closed until October but I will contact the Nottingham Watch Repair and have a day in Nottingham.

i am also looking for Renata 344 batteries but is not available here in Singapore, any one in the US can assist to get for me?

I always order them on Ebay. Many UK sellers offer international shipping including to Singapore.

My batteri says Hi! 😀

But a Renata 390, I do hope that my watchmaker did the right choice...??
It is a Seamaster F300 ref nr 198.001, and keeping time spot on.

IMG_0077.JPG

That makes sense, I've been using Renata lately and I was able to skip the extra insulation step, but the design difference is still there, I recall getting an ancient battery in one of these and it had a much healthier clearance, I suspect Renata just minimally clears things

I'll have a look at my two tomorrow.
I'm reluctant to use Renata batteries due to a couple of leaked cases. They may be OK while running, but if they go flat and you don't get them out they leak very easily.
I agree with the insulating strip of tape on "flat format" batteries, but don't think I've ever had to use it.

I'm having a lovely Dahlwhinne ATM, so will not divert to delicate watchmaking manoeuvres 😁.

Even the recent version of Renata 344 still differs from the Energizer 344 significantly. As seen from the photo, the shoulder of the Renata (right) is shorter and the negative terminal cap is smaller but taller.
By the way, the 390 is 0.6mm shorter than 344. The spring tab can pick up the 0.6mm of slack in most cases, but the correct one is 344.
IMG_7599-2.jpg
Edited: