Forums Latest Members
  1. Larry M May 25, 2019

Hello Folks,
    I have 1989 caliber 1444 quartz Constellation (I know, I know-Cover your ears children...). I recently opened it up to replace the battery myself for the first time, after not having worn it in years. I didn't think much of replacing the battery with what was already inside, an Energizer 371/370. A couple of days later, I stumbled upon a photo online of a 1444 with a 373 battery in it. I emailed Omega and they say a Renata 373 is the correct battery. The watch has worked fine over the years. I'm not sure when the swap was made. The energizer is .4mm or about 1/64" taller than the specified 373 battery according to specs available online. There is no top battery retainer in the watch, just side tension springs, and the plastic movement retaining ring rises well above 1/64" over the battery. Since there is no upper battery retaining clip, it would seem that Omega isn't concerned with the battery making contact with the case back during impact. SO, has anyone ever heard of this type of swap? Is there a concern that I should be aware of that I have not considered? Since it has not been an issue to this point, and that I rarely wear the watch anymore, I'll leave the 371/370 in until next time unless I've missed a major concern. A side note, the 371/370 has about 5 mAh more capacity than the 373 as well. I'd appreciate your thoughts on the matter.
    Thanks...

2. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 25, 2019

Often watches come to me with the wrong battery fitted, so you can’t really assume there was any changes here to the battery spec. Same thing with mainsprings oil mechanical watches...going off what was already in the watch is not the best approach, so independent verification of the spec is best.

Larry M likes this.
  3. Canuck May 25, 2019

I’ve always used the 373 or equivalent in that model. When they leave the factory, there is a thin, circular “skeletonized” retainer spring that sits on top of the cell. It is often left out.

Larry M likes this.
  4. Larry M May 25, 2019

Thank you, that makes more sense now...