Forums Latest Members

Baselworld Aquaterra availability

1. watchos Jul 18, 2017

I've called the Omega Boutique in LA regarding the Baselworld white dial Aquaterra and they said that they don't know when it would arrive although they thought that it should be in the Fall. On the website it says that it will be available from July 2017. Link.

Do any of you have experience with Omegas new releases, availability, etc? It's weird that they announced it a few months ago and people in their own stores have no idea. Or is this normal for this industry?

Thanks to all in advanced.

IMG_0138.JPG
    mikechi22 likes this.
  2. ctime3 Jul 18, 2017

Hi I was thinking the same question. I wonder what the price will be? Currently in the US with tax it's around $6300 for the master co axial. I just hope it doesn't go up $500 but I'm guessing it will. I would guess if they saw July add two months. But to answer your question I don't think any boutiques have a date in the US

3. watchos Jul 18, 2017

If that's the case it almost feels like they are not in control of their manufacturing and supply chain. I would have presumed they execute their business with the same precision of their watches. Why not accurately forecast and announce an accurate release date? Could it be a marketing tactic?

4. ctime3 Jul 18, 2017

Honestly I have no idea. You have good questions. Maybe the July advertised release date is for Switzerland and not the US since the web might cater to that market as opposed to the US market?

5. watchos Jul 18, 2017

That does make sense. Would love to find out more about this since it seems to fairly common.

6. ctime3 Jul 18, 2017

I will definetly ask the Boutique near me tomorrow and reply to you. What are you looking at the white dial pic you posted? I have noticed every watch looks ten times better in person than the website pics.

7. watchos Jul 18, 2017

Yeah. That's the one I am planning on getting. Thanks a bunch for your help. I only called. Was planning on going to the boutique on Saturday.

8. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jul 18, 2017

Depends on the watch. Basel announced watches can sometimes take almost up to a year.

It's not an issue with supply chain or mfg issues. Just marketing and space in the production schedule.

watchos and Jwit like this.
  9. watchos Jul 18, 2017

Wow. That's interesting. Aren't they worried of competitors copying them? Or losing the "newness" aspect of the design? So different from technology products which are usually announced and shortly after released.

10. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jul 18, 2017

You could argue it's an inverted issue. The Swiss watch industry is somewhat tight. Announce first so people have less chance to beat you to announcement. It's not like watches are following moors law like technology.

11. watchos Jul 18, 2017

That makes sense. Hadn't thought about it that way.

12. ctime3 Jul 19, 2017

Hello sorry I checked with the boutique and they do not have a firm date or an estimation. But I would guess September

watchos likes this.
  13. watchos Jul 19, 2017

Thanks for checking.

This brings me to my next question: do you think they will change their entire Aquaterra lineup to "horizontal" lines as opposed to vertical. They make a lot of emphasis on that.

Do they see these as a group of associated products with shared branding or as one offs. Or do they just transition them slowly?

This is a facinating industry. So different from tech.

14. thatonewatchdude Jul 19, 2017

It is very hard to solidify a date and it depends on arrival in the U.S and production. The piece you speak about is retailing at $5500. Also they will have the basel prototypes on display on the 19th and 20th of August so you should look into attending so you can get a feel for that timepiece.

watchos likes this.
  15. ctime3 Jul 19, 2017

Thanks for the clarification.

16. ctime3 Jul 19, 2017

The Death Star guy hit the nail right on the head. I would assume Omega will stay with the horizontal lines even though I have read the dial was inspired by decks on sailboats ⛵️

17. thatonewatchdude Jul 20, 2017

Yeah the teak panel dial is completely inspired by that luxury aquatic lifestyle. And yes this new dial pattern is to replace the Master Co-axial silhouette's having the new caseback lock, new crowns and also master chronometer certification.

18. Jones in LA Isofrane hoarder. Jul 20, 2017

My own experience with new watch arrivals (at Botiques) is that sometimes they arrive sooner than planned, and sometimes later. But mostly later. And I would guess that Omega, like most any other company that manufactures complicated gadgets, tends to be over-optimistic on their ability to fabricate, test, and ship their products in accordance with their introductory product announcement. This happens sometimes to Apple, for example.

And I might as well get something off my chest: I'm visually bothered by the re-alignment of the 'teak decking' on the dial of the latest (Baselworld 2017) Aqua Terra. Teak decking (on real boats) is aligned with the keel

teak_deck.jpg
    image credit: www.houzz.com

so I'm accustomed to see a vertical alignment on the dial of my Aqua Terra

IMG_0898_mods.jpg

I suppose, though, it's just a matter of how you're standing on the boat deck. If you're looking forward to the distant horizon, then the deck boards will be vertically aligned, but if you're looking sideways then they're horizontal :)

vinn and keepitsimple like this.
  19. ConElPueblo Jul 20, 2017

IMO, it's a visual downgrade.

A bit like horisontal/vertical lines on clothes, the vertical ones made the watch look sleeker, while the new ones make it seem broader.

fskywalker and Jones in LA like this.
  20. CleverUserName07 Jul 20, 2017

I tend to agree with those saying that the vertical alignment presents a cleaner look, but I might be biased.

IMG_0202.JPG