Forums Latest Members

BaselWorld 2015 - Omega Darth Side Of The Moon & Other Ceramic Speedmaster 9300 Models

1. Robert-Jan #SpeedyTuesday Mar 18, 2015

[​IMG]
    At Baselworld 2013, Omega surprised us with the novel, black ceramic Dark Side of the Moon. Last year, Omega evolved its ceramic line with a grey case and dial by evoking the look of lunar dust with its Grey Side of the Moon. So, how, you may ask, will Omega follow up these two hits with another ceramic masterpiece? The answer, as we will reveal, represents an all out barrage from the Swiss Maker. Yes, Omega is placing a large bet by placing a lot of Zirconium Oxide chips into the center of the table. White Side of the Moon […]

The post The Ceramic Speedmaster 9300 Models – An Overview appeared first on Fratello Watches.

2. maxtor71 Mar 18, 2015

Right, that tears it, the ceramic Speedies are going to be much cheaper with ADs and on the pre-owned market. No longer a novelty, now a full line...

Max

3. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 18, 2015

I had to edit the title of the thread for this one, The Darth Side Of The Moon:

311.92.44.51.01.005.jpg

4. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Mar 18, 2015

These aren't Professional?

5. maxtor71 Mar 18, 2015

Nope, they're all powered by the 9300 caliber movement.

Max

6. lillatroll Mar 18, 2015

I would not put my hand in my pocket for any of these. I think they are horrid. They might look better in real life but from the pictures they look nasty.

iLuveketchup likes this.
  7. Shem Mar 18, 2015

I have to look harder at these, especially in person, but I think they could be great. As someone who loves and celebrates the color black, the Darth Side looks promising. I do worry, though, that they're overdiluting the line.

I just had a thought. They should do a version with the ZrO2 radial sunburst dial and bezel that were on the Split Seconds rattrapante. That would be awesome. Maybe even in a "space blue"...

8. DLT222 Double D @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 18, 2015

Yeah i am not a fan of 3 but like one, which is the sedna & black.

The others are meh... the all black one is too much like a Bell & Ross Phantom, which i will add is impossible to tell the time on!

repoman likes this.
  9. OmegaRookie Mar 18, 2015

Not a fan of the "Darth Side" but I like the rest of them.

10. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 18, 2015

Despite the fact that they are all beautiful, I have no desire to own one.

The new '57, maybe.:thumbsup:

nlogax likes this.
  11. Hijak Mar 18, 2015

:(

12. shoota70 Mar 18, 2015

I just think a whole line of Dark Sides is a bad thing. One was cool - but a whole line is not.

How many watches do they make with Speedmaster on the dial? It's a lot!

13. jcmartinez98 Mar 18, 2015

this is when i'm so glad that i'm not into the 'investment aspect' of this disease.
    i love my 'original' DSOTM. i still think it's the best looking of the bunch and it doesn't bother me at all that the future value may be lowered by a flood of new dark sides. (the pitch black IS pretty sweet, though)

14. nlogax Mar 18, 2015

You nailed it sir, that's exactly what this new set of Speedy variations remind me of. B&R have (to my eyes) a crazy amount of slightly different styles, possibly one for everyone, or equally possibly spreading themselves too thin... after all, is there a classic B&R or just endless rehashes of the same thing? Are they just a fashion brand?

::stirthepot::

15. hansmaulwurf Senior Snoopy Owner Mar 18, 2015

Mh,

bad day for all DSOTM buyers from the last year .. ?!?
    Yes => maybe it will be the one Original, maybe only one of the ceramic collection ...

We will see in the futur what the market says about that Speedys.
    My Opinion: Omega displeases all DSOTM buyers!

BR Hans

Nobel Prize and watchme like this.
  16. Diverdown Mar 19, 2015

I like 'em. I think where Omega messed up was the way they released them.., DSOTM two years ago, GSOTM last year, WSOTM this year... Then BOOM, four new variations all at once. Had they done the releases differently, we all may be singing a different tune.
    In regards to the 'Darth Side', I like that they went 'all in' with the black. There's a market for it and good for them for catering to it.
    The Pitch Black, with its perma-super-luminova-green gets my vote.
    I don't think all these iterations should take away from anything already released. The DSOTM and GSOTM are both beautiful watches. It's a shame the way the newer released watches are taking away from them and casting a doubt, of sorts.

Now, if they'd just get rid of the "ZrO2" text

watchme and maxtor71 like this.
  17. xcentric Mar 19, 2015

Maybe we should call the black on black the h2g2- it reminds me of Douglas Adams's hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy, when the heros are on a spaceship with a control panel containing black buttons and black displays on a black control panel...... Me, I actually like to be able to read the time on a watch.....

Nobel Prize, watchme and OmegaRookie like this.
  18. repoman Mar 19, 2015

totally agree, I think the Sedna is going to be a knockout piece.

19. Nicherotors Mar 19, 2015

Captured from an Omega video - rather like the bezel - not yet sure about the diamonds on the markers.
    Either way - I'm happy such combinations will be possible.

image.jpg
  20. M'Bob Mar 21, 2015

Prostituting the Speedmaster. The original: still far and away the best.

Nobel Prize and watchme like this.