Forums Latest Members

Basel 2017 - What are you getting?

1. marcn Enough space to say witty Mar 23, 2017

Baselworld technically opens March 23rd, but we've already seen a ton of new offerings. If and when you find things you're planning to get, what did you choose and why?

EDIT: Or, if you're not getting anything - why?

I've already put my name down at my local OB for the SM300. It comes down to the awesome size, that raised bezel pip wedge, the utterly minimal dial design. Since I don't yet have a master chrono, I think this would make a great first one.

This thing is drop dead gorgeous!

[​IMG]

Edited Mar 23, 2017
    Mad Dog, sgtpry, ffej4 and 6 others like this.
  2. lillatroll Mar 23, 2017

Nothing. I like what they have put out there but, apart from the speedy,none of the 60th anniversary editions are worth taking a punt on for me because I have an SM300 co axial and they don't look different enough from that to justify a purchase. I have a speedytuesday reserved and am more than happy with that.

3. Morrisdog Mar 23, 2017

Yup the SM 300 looks very tempting. Problem is i already have the Ti SM300!!

watchme, oddboy and Taddyangle like this.
  4. Spy You know my name. Mar 23, 2017

The SM300 had my full attention until I learned about the bezel insert being aluminum. Now, I am not sure I want to spend the money for it or continue on the path toward the 8400 SM300. My 2254 has the aluminum bezel and I have been wanting to have something new. That new SM is charming, though.

Morrisdog likes this.
  5. Jwit Not a doctor, but plays one on ΩF Mar 23, 2017

I'm planning on getting the sales personnel at my local AD very disappointed when I don't purchase anything and trying on and taking tons of photos. ::bleh::

Why? The cost. Unless Omega or Tudor present something at an entry level(for me) price(sub$1500) I can't rationally spend that much on a watch at this point in my life.

Kmart, aap, ffej4 and 1 other person like this.
  6. Andy K Dreaming about winning an OFfie one day. Mar 23, 2017

Probably nothing. I still prefer the Speedy Tuesday to any of the Baselworld novelties, and to me that is the only modern Omega release in my time observing (10+ years) that I'm willing to pay full MSRP for. I could see myself someday owning any of the Trilogy LEs (especially the RM or SM300) IF they sell pre-owned for considerably less than MSRP. I realize that's a big if...

gostang9 likes this.
  7. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 23, 2017

I really hope they dump that extra text on the dial before production begins or I think it'll be even more difficult than selling a 3 watch set already is and people will prefer just buying the non set ones.

watchme and SpeedyPhill like this.
  8. KstateSkier Mar 23, 2017

I'm in line for the Speedy Tuesday and SM300 at my local OB. Like the new Speedmaster but something about the original SS bezel just doesn't speak to me. Railmaster is nice but not my style, however the 300 is OH SO GORGEOUS!

However if they call me back and tell me I owe 100% deposit I'm going to have to make a choice. :(

9. photo500 Mar 23, 2017

The Speedmaster and the SM300 are both reserved [emoji16] they'll be my first new Omega watch purchases ever.

10. LawBrk Mar 23, 2017

I think that my Basel purchase strategy will be to see what all of you decide to sell to fund these new releases! ND Subs? Send them my way!

11. marcn Enough space to say witty Mar 23, 2017

Given the reaction, I hope they'll rethink things a bit. If something has to be on the dial denoting Trilogy, at least print the text such that it isn't easily seen unless the light catches it reflecting, or micro-size it some way. It's pretty much a head-scratcher as it stands right now.

lando and Riviera Paradise like this.
  12. ctime3 Mar 23, 2017

I was really hoping for the diver 300m to be master co axial in house. So nothing for me.

13. Riviera Paradise Mar 23, 2017

Similar to you @lillatroll, if I did not have a SM300MC and Explorer 1 I would be looking at the SM300LE and the RailmasterLE. The Speedy 60th looks nice, but I prefer the SpeedyTuesday I have on reservation.

The new Omega Racing Speedies I want to see in the flesh, but might tempt me...I do prefer the larger subdials.

I am tempted to take a look at the Autavia Jack Heuer edition (new in-house calibre and BOR bracelet) which will be released sometime during 2017...not clear when or the pricing on this:
    TAG-Heuer-Autavia-2017-Jack-Heuer-Special-Edition-2.jpg

Not sure if I am just trying to be different and avoid the siren pull of the Daytona LN;):)

14. Kmart Mar 23, 2017

So far everything that I've liked from Basel has been a limited edition, which is somewhat disappointing as I don't think I'm going to be able to afford any of them this year. Obviously all three of the Omegas are stunning, but at ~$7,000 they're just a little too rich for my blood right now. Actually my favorite watch so far has been the Seiko SLA017 (a reissue of Seiko's first dive watch) which is right up my alley and just stunning IMO:

[​IMG]

However at $4k USD :confused: and a limited edition of 2000 pieces I don't think I'll be getting one.

Optimizer13, SeanO, Andreas and 9 others like this.
  15. abrod520 Mar 23, 2017

Well I'll be trying to get a Railmaster, though not going to put down the required 100% deposit just yet. If that means I miss the boat then so be it I guess, I just can't drop $7k right now for a watch I won't even see in person until sometime this summer.

Then, depending on how brokenated I am after the Speedy Tuesday and the Railmaster, may look into the re-2915.

LawBrk likes this.
  16. KstateSkier Mar 23, 2017

My OB just sent me an email asking for the required 100% deposit. I don't think deposit means what Omega thinks it means. Decisions.

EatMan, adi4, Rodmar and 2 others like this.
  17. tyrantlizardrex Mar 23, 2017

18. marcn Enough space to say witty Mar 23, 2017

Ha! So true!

How Omega is Like My Teenage Son:
    Him: "Can I get like $30 for [you pick, could be anything]?"
    Me: "Why don't you pick three big things from the chore list and have at it?"

Him: "Well, I'll do that too, but can I get paid now?"
    Me: "So, you want me to pay you in advance, against future work? I don't think so! That's not how the real world works!"

:rolleyes:

19. thatonewatchdude Mar 23, 2017

Whos put deposits down already?

20. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 23, 2017

I've merged your post into the existing thread here.

thatonewatchdude likes this.